All reviewsstorm kingadirondack chairslake quinaultnice fireplaceeasy accesscabinangeleshostsfirewood
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We stayed here on the spur of the moment after procrastinating about what to do for our kids' mid-winter break. Googling "Lake Quinault" and "cabins" brought up some gorgeous photos of Lochaerie, so we called. They had an opening and the lady who answered was so nice that we decided to book two nights.
The resort is small but very easy to find. On the way, we stopped in Aberdeen and bought groceries (naturally we forgot some stuff - more about that later) and headed up Hwy 101. By the time we got to Lake Quinault a sunny afternoon was turning cloudy, but our cabin - Colonel Bob - had a great view of the lake and a cozy, freestanding fireplace ready to light. The cabins come with a bundle of wood each day, but you can buy extra for $4.50 a bundle (on par with what you would pay at a store by the highway). Our cabin had forced air heat downstairs and baseboard heaters in every bedroom so we didn't NEED the fireplace but, you know, you have to build a fire when you're in a cabin. There are stairs down to the cabin so I wouldn't recommend this one to anyone with difficulty walking, but the stairs are good-sized and well-lit and not a problem for kids or minimally-fit adults.
There are canoes and kayaks available to use but it was too cold for us (it snowed) so we pretty much stayed inside. We drove partway around the lake and stopped for several short hikes, which were beautiful and not too hard for our 7-year-old, and visited the 'general store' of a more touristy resort on the South shore of the lake so we could get pickles and mustard and some other stuff I had forgotten to buy before.
The Colonel Bob cabin has no TV but we brought laptop and some DVDs for fun, and because the kids each finished reading the books they had brought. In case you want/need to stay in touch, we got excellent cell reception there.
The kitchen has every pot, pan or utensil you might need if you wanted to cook a meal or even bake a cake from scratch. The bathroom was efficient and spotless, with a nice fan and heat lamp and good water pressure in the shower. The beds and bedrooms were cozy, and we liked that each bed had a warm comforter folded up on its foot. Although this is the newest of the cabins it was filled with nice decorations and furniture so it felt classic, like its fellow cabins.
We had a lovely visit.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank La_Seattle100
Reviewed June 1, 2009

These renovated 1920s era cabins have everything you would want (hot water, toilet, fireplace, gas range, fridge) without losing their quaint lake-cabin feel. It provided a great family get away.
Although the price seemed a little steep, it was evident that the owners are pouring a lot of money into the resort in upkeep and renovation. We rented Christie and Storm King for two nights and split the price between 6 people, which made it pretty reasonable.
We had planty of wood for a roaring fire every morning and night, and I would definitely recommend taking the canoes out for a few hours!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank bikeseattle
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I booked my cabin after seeing a few photos online via the Lochaerie website. I made my reservations over the phone at which point I was told the terms of payment. 50% upfront and the rest due at check in. My confirmation was mailed to me as the manager does not email. My confirmation was recieved by mail within a week.

I was a bit nervous about staying here after reading the reviews of this place. There is no refund on cancelled stays, but you are offered a credit for one year. All of this is clearly stated on the website, and in the literature I was mailed.

Upon arrival I was given a tour of my cabin and instructions on using the fireplace and kitchen. Hot water is on demand and I was told to give the heater a few moments to warm up. I was given firewood for 2 days and had leftover in the cabin.

The cabin was very charming and spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of blankets to stay warm. The kitchen was stocked with a drip coffeemaker, pots, pans, and cutlery, stove and fridge. There were plenty of towels and soap. My bedroom looked directly out to to lake, and the cabin was totally private and quiet. The cabin settings are very lovely. The road the resort is on goes all the way around the lake and is spectacular, and you are within minutes of wonderful sights from the cabins both hiking and driving.

I was in the Angeles cabin, which is mid-way down stone stairs to the lake. The stairs were very dark at night. I had no issues with them, but older folks should be cautious. There is one light, but it does not shine on all the stairs.

My only minor complaint was the hot water. As the unit is on demand, the hot water pressure for the shower was low, but it was not the end of the world.

The upper cabins are less private, and look to be for multiple people or those who have issues with stairs. The lower cabins are very private and involve the stone stairs.

I recommend buying food in Aberdeen if you drive up from Tacoma. There are only 4 places close by to eat, and all just average. Cooking in the cabin was a pleasure.

I would recommend this place for couples, or for a single person wanting silence and solitude. Children might be a little bored here and would be better at the resorts on the other side of the lake, and older people may have issues with access to lower cabins and the lake. The price is comparable to the other places to stay around the lake. The payment policy is stiff, so make sure you can actually go when you reserve a cabin. There are no refunds.

For a more rustic experience at Lake Quinalt, I would recommend these cabins, and I hope I can stay here again. For privacy, beauty and quiet, this place can't be beat.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
6  Thank Thedarwin
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Good to know the owner, Tim loves his resort.
Otherwise beware of bad management, bad manners and way overpriced.
Use to be reasonable and quaint. Now it is overpriced and not even adored by the Yuppies who can afford it.
Too bad. Could be a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank MommieDearest_8
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We just had the very best weekend get-a-way - we stayed in the Olympus and it was lovely. Nice little kitchen - forest and lake views from each of the ample windows. Fireplace and plenty of wood. The area is sublime. We loved walking in the forest and saw lots of critters including; bear, elk, raccoon (fat coons) frogs and lot's of birds. We booked the cabin before reading the reviews in trip advisor, so we were a little nervous. We could not have been more pleased. The cabins are rustic, but not run down and everything was perfect in every way. We will stay in the Lochaerie again. Very soon, I hope.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple