“Love this place but what has happened?”
Review of The Henry Clay Inn

The Henry Clay Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Ashland B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I use to stay here twice a year- I won't be back - My second to last visit I was placed in a room close to the front desk- I arrived in the evening and was tired from the long journey- I went strait to bed- When I awoke I went into the bathroom what a nightmare it had been used before I got there- what a mess- I complained to the front desk how dirty it was and they just shrugged it off- It was disgusting!!!!
I figured I would try it again a year later maybe things had turned around and it had just been an accident , so I gave them another shot- In January of this year I booked one night with them - Front desk was unfriendly when I arrived- The room was located upstairs this time and it again was very dirty- hadn't been dusted or cleaned /anything since year one- Bed linens were old and worn out- Bathroom dirty and floors looked like they were never cleaned with vac as well- Even the veranda in back had an ash tray at every door full of butts. Cleaning people must smoke instead of clean- It's really too bad because it really is such a nice building but apparently they are trying to run it on a shoe string- The management could care less- It really is ashame- I actually left a dust covered tissue that I wiped from the tv stand next to the housekeeping card- Figured they would get the message- In the morning I went down for coffee it was cold! I complained to the front desk once again they could care less- They had the housekeeper call me- No reason to call me just clean the place- Disgusting and it's really sad that they would let the place go like this- Never again would I stay here....

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank dutchess203

Reviewed January 27, 2010

We chose the Inn because of its location and the wonderful pictures of the building . At check in we did not feel welcome and it was as if we were intruding on the people in the office working on otherthings. We were in room 103 which is down a short hall from the front desk. Walking to and from the room was a small adventure because the carpet is so lose and wavey that I worried that I would trip and fall.
Our small dog was allowed to accompany us but could only be in our room and no where else in the hotel, not even the lobby. The room towels were frayed, the box spring was torn with springs exposed, and the door knob to the outside porch came off the first day and was never properly repaired. Such a shame!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shoupAz
henryclayinnkeeper, Owner at The Henry Clay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2010

I was so sorry to find out only through tripadvisor that you were unhappy with your accommodations. Our inn is fast approaching our 18th anniversary and as with all properties we are constantly improving and updating. Just this past year we added wet bars to 5 of our rooms and turned one guest room into a suite for a family of four! If there is anything that you would like to see changed please feel free to let me know in person so it can be addressed promptly. As for the pets, we do allow small dogs in the two downstairs guest rooms only because they do have direct access to the outside. Unfortunately, other guests as well as the health department do not look kindly on having them walking throughout the property. Again, I am sorry that you were unhappy, I only wish I had known while you were visiting.

Reviewed August 16, 2008

We stayed for one night at the Henry Clay and were so glad we did. We were looking for a place with more personality than those dismal, cookie cutter chain hotels right off the interstate and found it, right in the middle of quaint, downtown Ashland. We stayed in room 103, main floor, at the back, so the train noises didn't bother us. The two full size beds were comfortable and bedsheets were floral, not just plain old white. Combined with the poster beds, it kind of felt like we were staying at grandma's house. (In a nice, comforting way!) The breakfast wasn't home-cooked or oven-baked like a b & b would feature, but there was terrific melon cut up, yoghurt, bagels, english muffins to toast. Upon check in, we received a very warm greeting from the female desk clerk who was nice and chatty. Unfortunately, she didn't stop chatting very much. She woke us up in the morning long before we planned to awake (our room was near the front desk) by talking so loudly on the front desk phone. Later, she moved to the gift shop telephone as we ate breakfast, and she CONTINUED talking loudly on the phone. It was a personal call (we could hear every word, though didn't understand the foreign language that was thrown in here and there). It was very unprofessional and annoying. That was the only blemish of our stay. $115 for the night.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I don't mind bagels and muffins for breakfast, but these were industrial-grade, stone cold, still wrapped in heavy plastic on the serving table, and obviously taken right out of the refrigerator (who knows after how long a stay there). It was depressing, especially as I had booked after reading on the website that the Inn featured a "homemade" breakfast buffet and touted its gourmet restaurant.

I slept right through the round-the-clock freight trains, but they kept my husband awake.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I've actually lost count how many times we've stayed here over the last 3 years while coming to visit our son at school in Richmond (about 15 minutes south). The historic part of Ashland near the Henry Clay is very nice and there seem to be improvements with every visit. Randolph Macon College is across the RR tracks and the old train station right out the front door serves as a visitor center for the area. Some guests arrive by train from Wash. DC or Richmond.

While it looks like an authentic Civil War era mansion, the inn itself has had a rough past. It burned down twice over the years, but has been rebuilt (now with sprinklers!) and feels like a large comfortable home. Most rooms have a porch or balcony and there are common areas for any season. You can enjoy the street view from the front porch or sit up on the large balcony in the summer or read a book or play cards in the upstairs parlor when things turn cooler.

Breakfast is self-serve bagels, granola, fruit, juice, coffee, etc. and starts early on weekdays if you want to get on the road right away. Nothing fancy, but its right down the hall from your room you won't leave hungry. There are other options a short drive away in town (Waffle House, etc) if you prefer something hot.

Definitely make reservations for Friday and Saturday nights, which may be booked with weddings, reunions, or other functions, but we have stayed during the week and been the only folks in the place. Two rooms on the ground floor accept dogs and open to the rear porch and parking lot. A word about those RR tracks: they are on the Amtrak north/south main line and both passenger and freight trains pass by day and night. Unless you are a heavy sleeper (or major train buff!), book one of rooms in the rear of the inn. That long freighter at 3AM won't seem as loud.

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 10, 2007

The Henry Clay Inn is a wonderful place to stay. It is quant and cozy like a bed and breakfast without the forced interaction with other guests that is sometimes encountered at B&Bs. It was nice to have a balcony to sip the wine we bought from the James River Cellars (a winery down on the street) and eat the fabulous cheese from the caboose (a cheese shop around the corner). The Inn is right in front of a historic train depot which also serves as the visitor center. Trains go by rather frequently but we couldn't really hear them from our room. Overall the Henry Clay Inn offers a homey feeling yet anonymous.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Rocky Mount, NC
Reviewed July 13, 2003

We have stay at the Henry Clay Inn twice and will stay their whenever we are in Ashland, VA. We have family that lives in Ashland and have stay at the HCI and other motels/hotels in town. The HCI is the best and by far the best price. Wonderful service and felt right at home.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Hampton Inn Richmond-North/Ashland
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#4 of 13 in Ashland

Been to The Henry Clay Inn? Share your experiences!