“This place was really nice!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Ashland
Virginia
“This place was really nice!”
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Got a nice suite here. It was especially nice because it had an extra door. You can actually close your bedroom door here, and separate the living area from the main beds. Also, like a typical suite, the couch becomes another bed. You now potentially have two bedrooms, each with its own TV! The bathroom is very nice and roomy too. This was great for my family. We had three separate rooms where we could change, which helped a lot. Check out the pool area if you get a chance. When I visited, my brother and I had the pool and hot tub to ourselves. This is a nice, secure, and clean place to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank USAdventurer06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Wash, D.C.
Reviewed December 20, 2009

Older hotel. Furnishings in the dark rooms are a bit old and shabby - it just felt like the whole hotel needed to be hosed down, scrubbed good and refurnished with stuff from this century. The lobby was much nicer than the rooms. BEWARE that this hotel allows smoking in certain rooms that are right next to non-smoking rooms - the halls just stink of smoke and the smell seeped into our first room. We asked to be moved and were put in a totally smoke free area which was much better. The breakfast was free and lets just say you get what you pay for. It was adequate for a quick bite when heading out though. I think the rate charged was a bit high for the property. Shop around. I don't know that I would stay here again unless I was desperate.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank 3monkeysVA
Olney, Maryland
Reviewed September 15, 2009

My husband and I decided to take a trip to King Dominion and stay in a nice hotel.
This was a great place to stay! Very nice staff, clean reception area and breakfast area, very nice rooms and clean rooms, and spacious. I got to enjoy the large indoor pool and hot tub. The fitness room is very nice. The breakfast was filling and delicious!
The hotel is located in a great area, near restaurants (our favorite Jersey Mikes and Walmart), gas stations and it's 7 minutes from Kings Dominion.
I look forward to visiting it again.
Kat & hubby, Sept 09

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mommouse
PA
Reviewed September 4, 2009

We had originally booked a different hotel but changed decided to change out mind after dealing with the extreme heat in VA the week we were there and the fact the HIEx had an indoor pool.
My mother works online in the medical profession and had to do work during the vacation. She intended to work part of each day and evening which we were at KD. The hotel supposedly has Wireless Highspeed. The first night the internet worked fine. We had one member of our group who had to head back to Pittsburgh early so needed to book a bus or train. The first morning we woke up to minimal internet and after breakfast no internet. The hotel told us the tech was on the way it would be fixed before we brought my mom back to the hotel at lunchtime. The internet was still down. again we were told the tech would be there shortly. Three hours later we were told the internet would be up within two hours GUARANTEED. At nearly 10 PM we were told within a half hour the tech would be there but and I quote "Don't hold your breath". He insisted the whole area was without internet. We ended up going across to the truck stop to PAY for internet to try to get a bus schedule.
When we came back from the truck stop the deskclerk was outside smoking, I will add this was his 3 cigarette in an hour, and he asked if we found internet. When we asked what we were supposed to do we needed internet he informed us if we wanted to use the internet go up the street and stay at the Hampton Inn. My brother went down and asked the desk clerk if he was the one to talk to about the internet he was informed "not right now I am having a cigarette". By the time my brother grabbed his cell phone and went back down, 10 minutes, they had changed staff. We were credited one night, although the rudeness of the staff and my mother's loss of income/work.
The next morning we were told by the management they had to pay $150 to get the tech to move them to teh top of the list which we did not believe. We were told the internet would be up by noon. At noon it was up for a bit. By evening though the desk clerk was asking some young guys in the lobby, apparently friends, how to get the internet back working. She got it working, for the main computer, too bad the guests using Wi-Fi were locked out. Management informed us since the clerk did not report internet trouble it must not have existed.
We should ahve switched hotels after the first night but the kids were settled in and we had LOADS of luggage.
Beyond the internet, the pool was as cold as icewater. Even dipping a foot in gave you chills. The hottub was warm, not hot. The only way to get pool towels was to go to the front desk, which meant leaving the pool area and walking through the lobby.
As for cleanliness, the rooms were decent but the halls were not. There was a piece of trash in the hallway from Sunday through Wednesday. No onee ever bothered to pick it up even though it was quite noticable.
Breakfast was good, except the juice was WARM, as was the yogurt, and the bacon/sausage was cold.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Clark, NJ
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I traveled to VA to visit Kings Dominion along with seeing relatives in Richmond and decided to utilize my Priority Points to stay at the HIE in Ashland.
I found the owner & wife pleasant and helpful. Since they migrated from NJ, we had a few things to talk about.

The rooms were clean and the breakfast served enough to fill you up till lunch. This site is excellent for business travelers, families with kids of all ages and over nighters. It has a large pool and excercise room.

I would stay at this HIE again in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We stayed two nights at this hotel. We got there before the check in time and since the room was ready they gave us the key. Room was very, very clean as was the whole hotel. We had the two queen suite with sitting area. The faucet handle in the bathroom was broken and I went to the front desk to tell them. Before I got back to my room on the third floor the maintenance man was there. He was very friendly and quickly fixed the faucet. The manager and front desk staff was so friendly. When ever I saw them they would say hello and ask if everything was okay. Breakfast the first morning was okay, typical fast breakfast style, the second morning the hotel was crowded and the food took a little longer to replenish but that was due to the amount of people. Location is great. It is right off the highway and next to a Cracker Barrel. This Cracker Barrel wasn't one of the best but it was okay. Lots of other nearby restaurants. The hotel pool was nice especially since we had it to ourselves the first night. We had such a comfortable stay that I want to thank the staff for a commendable job. Keep up the good work. This hotel is only five minutes from Kings Dominion. Look no further and book this hotel!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Gershep
PA
Reviewed June 29, 2009

I read all the traveler reviews for the local hotels near Kings Dominion Amusement Park and based my stay on them. This hotel had received the best in my opinion and was close enough to the park without driving. I was very happy with the accommodations. The hotel was clean and neat. Everything seemed almost like new. The breakfast buffet was very tasty and had a good selection. There was an Applebees and McDonalds int he same parking lot so that helped for additional meals as well. The only thing that was misrepresented on the hotel site is that they offer discounted tickets to Kings Dominion. The ticket was not discounted it only saves you standing in line when you arrive at the park by having your tickets in advance which you can do by ordering them on line ahead of time as well. All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff was friendly and helpful and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank SuzieQ102
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Quality Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#3 of 13 in Ashland
La Quinta Inn & Suites Richmond - Kings Dominion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland? Share your experiences!