Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Ashland
Rogers, Arkansas
“Pleasant interlude”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I had booked a HIE in Maryland for the evening and through a series of mishaps made terrible time and decided to stop in Ashland and call it a night. We were greeted by a very pleasant desk clerk and were offered a Priority Club upgrade. The suite was spotless and comfortable. The beds were comfortable and the room quiet. We hit the breakfast bar the next morning and found it to be very pleasant and tasty. All in all this unexpected stop worked out well for us and got us on the road in plenty of time to make up for the previous day's delays..

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the Hotel are very quiet. Recommend 161
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JOHN R
Shahhe88, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your review of our hotel. We value our Priority Club members and strive to meet and exceed their expectations. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
West Friendship, Maryland
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great hotel close to Kings Dominion. We go to Kings Dominion every year with my husbands company and this is the third time we have stayed at this Holiday Inn. It is very convenient to the park and close to a lot of restaurants. The hotel's breakfast was great and there were plenty of the cinnamon rolls available.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Shahhe88, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you Sandajoseph for your recent stay and review of our hotel. I was glad to hear that you come and stay with us on a regular basis. Kings Dominion is only a few miles away, and we are the closest Holiday Inn Express and Suites. Make sure that if you find yourself in the area to stop by and let us set you for a stay. Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express and Suites, we appreciate you staying, and hope to see you again soon.

-John C Robbins, Asst. GM-
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here with my family of 5 and thought it would be decent- but our room was infested with little cockroaches. We did not see them at first but they came out at night and crawled in our bags. We saw them in the room at first and were really freaked out and then the same ones coming out of bags when we packed up car, and then more when we arrived at our final destination. My NIGHTMARE!! This place should be shut down immediately. Plus, it smelt old and of cigarette smoke.

• Stayed September 2012
Shahhe88, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you Simpledimplemama for your recent stay and review. I would like to speak with you more about your stay over the phone if possible. I did not receive a report in regards to this issue, so I am unfamiliar with the situation. I can assure you that our hotel is treated on a regular basis the same way as every other hotel. If their was an issue with bugs, I would like to double check and make sure that the issue has been taken care of. Normally, if roaches are found, a room is shut down and treated immediately, which doesn't coincide with this review. I would like to hear from you as soon as possible. Also, the property does have a few smoking rooms in specific areas in the hotel. We are considering a renovation of these rooms and going to non-smoking, so this will eliminate that "old cigarette smell" out of certain rooms.

-John C Robbins, Assistant General Manager-
Maryland
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed her on 9-15-12 and my husband was bit by bed bugs. Although management accommodated us and with not paying for our room, I was still inconvenienced by not being able to fully relax and enjoy my weekend. If I could give zero stars I would but you have to give them 1, however our book they get a double negative.

Room Tip: Make sure to check for bed bugs before laying down for the night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you SassySaundra for your recent stay and review. I want to apologize for the great inconvenience you experienced during your stay here with us. Bed bugs are the industry's greatest adversary nowadays, with more travelers coming and going every day, it is extremely difficult for hotels to counter. The experience you had was not a common one here at our property. We do not have, as you put it, a "haven" for bed bugs, but rather had an isolated incident that we did not forsee. We are currently working on the situation and should have it resolved in no time. I want to apologize again for the inconvenience, and hope that you may try us again in an attempt for us to show you that this is not the normal practices here at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites.

-John C Robbins, Assistant General Manager-
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Upon arriving at the hotel you realize it's an older design, unlike many of the "newer" HIE hotels I've stayed at. Room smelled like a mixture of Pinesol and some mystery odor.

Bottom line - this hotel was noisy. People running up and down the halls, doors slamming all night. Management didn't seem to care about it either.

Breakfast was the standard HIE breakfast - which is good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ed B
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Ed B,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased you liked our location and you found our breakfast satisfactory. Please accept my sincerest apology for the noise levels at the hotel. I understand the discomfort this caused you and I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I had booked a hotel further down the road and my husband decided to stay at this one for two nights. We were in room 176

After all of the postive reviews i was really disappointed. Needless to say i woke up on my last night stay early in the morning and we drove home and missed traffic. I would not stay here again because of my bad experience.

Pros:
Great Customer service!
Good Breakfast
Quick Access to 95 for Kings Dominion
Good selection of restaurants
The carpet looked new

My concerns:
The Ironing pad needed to be replaced and the iron was broken. (I did get another one but for some reason it took to long to iron clothes with this iron.)
The hair dryer that i wanted to use was rusty inside.
The vent in the bathroom was broken & filthy.
The bathroom tub had hair left in it.
The floor in the bathroom could have been cleaner.
The bed was uncomfortable. I actually heard the springs and did not have a good night sleep.
The AC system had dirt circulating in it while on. (This is the first time I have seen this)
There was a dead bug on the sheets in the morning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denise C
Thank you Charlot for your review of your stay with us. We appreciate any and all feedback so that we may make changes and better serve our guests. I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay with us. We will take the list that you provided and make the necessary adjustments so that we can better recognize our guest's needs and concerns. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your helpful suggestions. Please, come back and try us one more time, and let us show you that we can and do get it right.

-John C Robbins, Asst. GM-
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Stopped there after a day at kings dominion. The best part of the day! Easy access to I95. Friendly staff! The guys at the front desk are awesome CLEAN rooms. Great shower! Free Full breakfast sausage eggs biscuits/gravy. Pastries juice coffee and more. I would definitely stay there again!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you Beachygirl45 for your stay and review. We always appreciate guest feedback so that we can better serve our guests. It sounds like you utilized our close proximity to Kings Dominion. It is just a quick jump up I-95 and you are right there! Extremely convenient. I hope that you enjoyed some of our other ammenities, the indoor heated pool and hot tub perhaps. Our Hot Breakfast in the morning is one of our guest's favorite ammenities. Whether you just need a muffin or some juice, or a full hot breakfast with eggs, sausage gravy, ham / bacon / or sausage, we have it all ready every morning from 6:30 to 9:30am. I hope that if you find yourself in the Ashland, VA area, you will come by and stay again with us.

-John C Robbins, Asst GM-
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Quality Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#4 of 13 in Ashland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Richmond Ashland
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland? Share your experiences!