“Top choice for Ashland”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Ashland
Arlington, Virginia
“Top choice for Ashland”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Ordinarily I would not have high expectations for a Sleep Inn, but in planning a recent family reunion I checked out all the hotels in Ashland. In terms of the combination of comfort and value, I thought this was the best. The hotel has a number of facilities usually found in more expensive chains, hot tub, swimming pool, etc. Although the breakfast is standard, it has the nicest looking breakfast room I have ever seen in a moderately priced hotel. There is was even coffee and chocolate-chip cookies in the lobby when we arrived. The upkeep on the hotel is superb. After checking it out twice I asked how old it was. I expected the answer to be a year or two, and was very surprised to be told that it is actually about eight years old. The hotel is especially quiet. Vending and ice machines are thoughtfully housed in a separate room, virtually unknown in this grade of hotel. The climate control system in our room was virtually silent. Although our room was down the hall from the elevator, it also seemed to operate quietly. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful, printing out information for us from the Internet about downtown travel. Our group reserved eight rooms and the reservations were handled competently. I heard no complaints from anyone and everyone seemed pleased with the choice. Yes, there are more luxurious rooms in the Richmond area--at luxury prices. But if price is a consideration, this may well be your best bet.

Room Tip: We got one of the few "suites" which I thought was worth the extra money. (They are not t...
2 Thank FOIA_Chief
Bipin P, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
It is always great to hear when we have exceeded our guest expectations. My team and I thank you for your posting!!! I hope you will return in the future. You will be pleased to see our standard continental breakfast transition to a hot breakfast in the near future!

We look forward in serving you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Old Forge, NY
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Hotel is conveniently located right off of I-95. Hotel check in personel (Aaron & young lady who was at work despite feeling a little under the weather) Check in was a breeze, room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Also, the room was spacious with fridge, microwave and the bed was nice as well. I will stay here again next trip for sure!

Room Tip: Ask for nonsmoking, away from kids/other guests if possible.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
We always love reading comments like yours. My team and I thank you for your posting!!!

Connecticut
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Stopped in Ashland late during a heavy thunderstorm looking for a room and were turned away at the Hampton Inn, but the desk clerk suggested the Sleep Inn. I was skeptical but the attractive lobby and pleasant desk clerk began to assuage my concerns. And the room was clean, well-appointed and the shower had plenty of hot water. All at an easy-to-swallow price. Don't hesitate to spend the night.

1 Thank tedtom51
It is always great to hear when we have exceeded our guest expectation. My team and I thank you for your posting!!!

mooviemadness
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We decided to go to King's Dominion during Fall Break. This hotel was not too far from the KD exit off I-95, and I noticed it was voted the #2 lodging location on this website. The staff was polite, professional and very helpful. In fact, one staff member went out of his way to assist me when I was trying to locate a restaurant in the area. It was late when we checked in, so we were quite tired. However, the room was adequately stocked with towels & the complimentary toiletries. Although it was late, there was adequate parking for a Friday night (this is a problem that we run into very often, but thankfully not at this property).

The room we had reserved had 2 queen beds and a sofa that was located between the beds and the front door. There are 3 floors in the hotel. We had requested a non-smoking room, which we got. Unfortunately, the whole floor was not non-smoking, so when we walked through the halls the smoke sometimes bothered me. However, we did not have the issue inside the room, where we could not smell any smoke. The beds were comfortable, and so was the couch. The long deck that included sink with coffee maker was located inside the bathroom. The room included a microwave and a refrigerator (the freezer was not cold enough to keep ice cream). The whole room was comfortable. We had a young child with us, and the length of the room was adequate so that one person could read/browse the internet on one end of the room and not disturb the child sleeping at the other end when it was bedtime.

Breakfast was 6:30-9:30 am daily. There were no hot items available such as eggs, sausage or bacon. There was a toaster, a microwave and a waffle-maker. I had no problems with the waffle-maker line on the first morning we were there, but after that there was a long line (probably because there were no other hot foods available unless you count toast & bagels). The area was kept clean & stocked by the staff.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for lodging if you plan to visit King's Dominion or the Richmond area. It's close to I-95, so it was very accessible. I noticed that the location had an indoor pool, so that can be used year-round. There was also a work-out room. There is a business center, but that closes promptly at 9 pm nightly (not sure what time it opens). The rates were good for the size room that we got. Our only issues were the smell of smoke in the hall when leaving the room & the lack of hot items for breakfast. However, since the room rate was good, I considered that a trade-off.

1 Thank mooviemadness
Bipin P, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
My staff and I personally thank you for your comments. Coming soon are some very exciting upgrades that I know you will love!!!

We look forward in serving you in the future. Again thank you.
Roanoke
Reviewed October 3, 2011

After reading hotel reviews, I chose this Sleep Inn as a place to stay overnight after spending a long day at Kings Dominion. I was very pleased with this hotel. It was clean. The bed was comfortable. The staff was pleasant. The continental breakfast was adequate. It was located close to Kings Dominion and there were plenty of restaurants, stores and gas stations nearby. I will stay here again.

1 Thank beachitnow

Southport, NC
Reviewed September 14, 2011

There is a lot of things to like about this hotel. The front desk people are very friendly and helpful. The hotel inside and out are well maintained. The rooms were very nice and had a microwave and refrigerator. So why didn't I give it a 5? Two things, no hot breakfast and the carpet looked clean but needed cleaning (it made my white socks look a dingy brown). Note - I mentioned the hot breakfast when I checked out and was told it was coming soon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Impalajohn
Bipin P, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
My staff and I personally thank you for your comments! I will take a look at the issue you had and will correct it. As a Sleep Inn & Suites, we are looking forward to some exciting upgrades to the hotel that are happening in the future. Unfortunately I am unable say, but know our guest will love them!!!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2011

After hours of searching,on line we choose this Sleep Inn as a stopping place on a trip from Florida to New Jersey. The hotel was located 5 miles south of Kings Dominion; also a stopping spot for us.Not knowing anything about the local area, I read and re-read reviews that were posted. Sleep Inns and Suites of Ashland was everything that I read in the reviews. I am very particular and this Sleep Inn offered queen beds, rather that doubles and a pull out sofa, The beds and pillows were very comfortable and the room inviting after a 12 hour drive.The hotel was exceptionally clean. It looked quite new.The bathroom was roomy; towels soft, and plentiful. There was plenty of space in the room and the staff was friendly.The rate was also very reasonable. The pool area was inside, but quite large and also very clean. Rooms are equipped with mini refrigerators and microwaves.The breakfast was nicely arranged and there was even a waffle station if you wanted something warm. The location was within walking distance from a variety of stores,Pizza Hut, Starbucks etc. I definitely would recommend this hotel for the weary traveler on I-95 or the family planning a trip to the Virginia area. I know this will be my preferred hotel on any future trips I make going north or south.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cruiselover18

We look forward in serving you in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 13 in Ashland
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ashland - Hanover, VA
Hampton Inn Richmond - North / Ashland
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Richmond Ashland
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!