“Happy returns - great experience”

Iron Horse Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 89 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: England Street
Transit: The Ironhorse Restaurant is located at 100 South Railroad Avenue, on the corner of England Street (Rt. 54) and Railroad Avenue - conveniently, one block South of the Ashland Train Station.
Description: With a two-story sign located on the busiest rail line in the East, The Ironhorse is an undeniable landmark in Ashland, VA. Since 1993, The Ironhorse has provided fine food and drink to locals, travelers and destination diners in the heart of Ashland. As Ashland has appointed itself “center of the universe”, The Ironhorse serves as the “restaurant at the center of the universe” where you’re always “welcome back.” The Ironhorse presents a seasonally changing, market-driven menu that features hand-cut steaks and fresh regional seafood, as well as chef-inspired nightly specials. Lunch (11:30-2:30) and dinner (5:30-10:00) are served Monday thru Saturday – with a light fare menu continuously available all day. Sunday brunch is served from 10-2:30. A welcoming Bistro on one hand, an inviting neighborhood pub on the other; Ironhorse also offers a family-friendly, casual fare menu. Dining reservations gladly taken.
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Happy returns - great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

We have had ups and downs at the Iron Horse but this was a happy return.

We came on a Saturday evening without reservations but were received and seated, even getting a nice outdoor table. We had a cheese plate to share which was very good but not enough crackers so we asked for extra bread to compensate. We had bottle of Shiraz which was pretty reasonably priced and highly rated. I had the meatless chili which was little spicy but good. We both had the filet mignon which was a great portion at a decent price. We would have been satisfied with a smaller cut but all the better. We had a creme brûlée and fudgy sundae. Service was good and no complaints. As always. The train traffic was entertaining.

Overall, the visit was much better than in the past. They had a good basic menu and interesting specials that were many. The prices are reasonable as compared to similar faire. Our bill had two bottles of wine which added $80, decent priced and highly rated - worth the money.

Downsides - there is no smoking inside so smokers step outside and smoke in front of the tables outside, pretty unappealing, the roped off area had low ropes which were a trip hazard, the cheese plate does not have enough bread and served some sort of sesame cracker which was not that great

New York City, New York
“Good bar food and also nice restaurant - take your pick!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We prefer the bar side, but if you go on a weekend evening, you have a band, which might be too loud for some (us). The food on the restaurant is pricier but good quality. Nice corner location on Main Street, and many opportunities to see trains pass by, Amtrak and freight!!

Visited June 2014
Doswell, Virginia
“We headed to Domino's for pizza afterwards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

We arrived after the Strawberry Faire. We wanted a bottle of Moscato. Our server came back with something else because they were out promising we would love it. We didn't. Sent it back. The 2nd bottle was better but not great. We settled and later found out it was almost $40. The cheese plate we ordered was ok but the goat cheese was tasteless. I am vegetarian and there was only one item on the whole menu I could have and it was loaded with carbs. The server then proceeded to ask me what I thought they should have on the menu. I told her that wasn't my job. She brought out the chef. He said he could prepare me a vegetable platter (one of which was potatoes which is a starch). Great. No protein for me. All of the salads had sugared walnuts in them; two of the three of us were diabetic. Nothing on the menu has been thought out for anyone who cares about what they eat. And if you happen to be vegan; stay away. We all paid for our appetizer and salad, bottle of wine we really didn't like, and left. We called in an order to Domino's for pizza (if I am going to eat carbs it will be pizza), headed to Martin's and bought a bottle of Moscato, and headed to my house for a movie. We won't go back to Iron Horse.

1 Thank Julie S
“"Unique Ambiance"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

The Iron Horse is located in the historic town of Ashland VA within walking distance to a small railway station. The railroad runs right through the middle of town and this restaurant is located on the corner of its main street right beside the railroad track. In the summer they offer both indoor and outdoor seating. On our visit to the restaurant, there were several couples sharing bottles of wine in the outdoor seating section. My husband and I do not spend a lot of money dining out so when we do we always look for restaurants with that something special and the Iron Horse definitely qualifies. This restaurant has a very unique atmosphere, an outstanding staff, and well prepared food. So far this is the best "date night" restaurant we have found and we are both looking forward to our next visit.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“HOLY COW WORST SERVICE EVER”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

HOLY COW WORST SERVICE EVER
05/18/14
DINER FROM RICHMOND • allysinger • 1 review
This was one if the worst dining experiences we have ever had. The only redeeming quality was that the food was great. My boyfriend has owned and run numerous restaurants and we consider ourselves foodies... I had been here once before with my Dad and had a great meal sitting outside with good service. My boyfriend and I decided to come here for my birthday dinner and made reservations in advance. Even with our reservations, they put us in the smallest shared booth in the place so we politely asked if we could wait for a seat outside. Once we got sat we didn't not see ANYONE for twenty minutes. The service staffed looked swamped and tables were clearly not being served in a timely fashion.My bf actually had to get up and go get someone to help us. When our server arrived he wasn't very apologetic and was pretty awkward with us. Then, a couple ridiculous things happened. Our food arrived rather quickly after we ordered, and was yummy. We ordered appetizers, two salads, two entrees and a bottle of wine. Our sever first asked us if we wanted freshly ground black pepper on our salads. We said yes and he came back 7 minutes later when we were almost done with our salads and yet he ground it anyway on my few bites of lettuce left. Then he asked us - "are the anchovies salty?" We both didn't even know what to say or why he was using us that. Then, simultaneously, he left another table's DIRTY DISHES on our table, and when he realized it later he mumbled to himself "shouldn't have done that", which I found funny. The reason why he had set those dirty dishes on our table in the first place was because he was clearing our places as our entrees were being served and he realized we didn't have any utensils (he had just taken them and stacked our dirty dishes). He said "oh shoot you need fresh utensils" and then he ACTUALLY PULLED OUT OUR DIRTY FORKS FROM THE STACK OF OUR DIRTY DISHES AND HANDED THEM BACK TO US (like held them out for us to grab!). When we just looked at them like are you kidding? We don't even know whose fork is whose, he said "what, you guys scared of cooties?". I couldn't even contain myself. and FINALLY we timed how long it took him to bring the check after we asked. It took him 18 minutes. It was quite literally UNBELIEVABLE. On the other hand, the salads, crab/shrimp tots, my salmon and my bf's veal brisket were WONDERFUL and very tasty. We will not be returning. It did create some great laughs and a good story

• Visited May 2014