“THE Place to Go in Ashland...or anywhere else!”

Iron Horse Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 93 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: England Street
Transit: The Ironhorse Restaurant is located at 100 South Railroad Avenue, on the corner of England Street (Rt. 54) and Railroad Avenue - conveniently, one block South of the Ashland Train Station.
Description: With a two-story sign located on the busiest rail line in the East, The Ironhorse is an undeniable landmark in Ashland, VA. Since 1993, The Ironhorse has provided fine food and drink to locals, travelers and destination diners in the heart of Ashland. As Ashland has appointed itself “center of the universe”, The Ironhorse serves as the “restaurant at the center of the universe” where you’re always “welcome back.” The Ironhorse presents a seasonally changing, market-driven menu that features hand-cut steaks and fresh regional seafood, as well as chef-inspired nightly specials. Lunch (11:30-2:30) and dinner (5:30-10:00) are served Monday thru Saturday – with a light fare menu continuously available all day. Sunday brunch is served from 10-2:30. A welcoming Bistro on one hand, an inviting neighborhood pub on the other; Ironhorse also offers a family-friendly, casual fare menu. Dining reservations gladly taken.
Pleasantville, New York
“THE Place to Go in Ashland...or anywhere else!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

With the same name as the best restaurant in my hometown,this Iron Horse is also THE PLACE in Ashland, Va. Given the quality of the food & service it would be "the place"just about anywhere...including New York. Ashland is a convenient stop for me en route to NY along I-95 from the south. After a long day's drive the Iron Horse makes the journey from Savannah worthwhile.
Tonight was no exception. The dinner was superb, the Manhattan pure perfection and the service impeccable. I ordered a beet salad that was fresh & creative. My main course was rockfish on a bed of asparagus & a sobo noodle salad. The sobo complimented the fish marvelously. Not only was my Manhattan made to my quirky specifications but a trio of brandied cherries made it even more unique & special.
My only regret is that this Iron Horse id not closer and I only pass by it once or twice a year. I can't wait for my next journey down I 95.
And I love to sit in the window hoping that an Amtrak train will pass by...tonight 2!

• Visited April 2014

Ashland, Virginia
“BEST IN ASHLAND”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Iron Horse is by far the best dining experience in Ashland. Located on the tracts, trains rumble by, shaking your cocktail... can't get any closer than this! Food is tasty, healthy, and original.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank thediamonddiva
Toronto
“Wonderful Find.”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

After stopping along the highway and desperate for a healthy meal instead of the usual fare of fried food ... we discovered the Iron Horse in Ashland VA.
Thank god. The space was creative and authentic ... lots of room and comfortable. Thanks to Rusty Stone who is listed as the person responsible for this place. Our waitress was super .. Karen knows food and wine ..she explained cooking methods and dishes and came up with a delicious wine to match. Fabulous food and service !!!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank solazT
“A great evening with friends at the Iron Horse.”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We were treated by friends to the Iron Horse while in town. Great wine suggestions by our very attentive waitress. We tried multiple appetizers, which were all perfection. During our wait for the main course, we were treated to samples of a few different soups the chef was preparing, which were outstanding and may have been the best treat of the meal. Our steaks were done to perfection, and large enough that we each had to take home half of them. A few deserts to share, which were the best I have had in many years. Everyone was very friendly in the restaurant, it was a real treat!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Graybeard73
Mechanicsville, Virginia
“Quiet dinner”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My wife and I had dinner on Feb. 28 and had Karen for a waitress. She was friendly and very attentive to our needs. I had the duck (BEST I have ever eaten) and my wife had chicken cordon blu (REAL) Great food but a little pricey however you do get what you pay for! Peanut butter and jelly pie was to die for! All in all would go there again!!!!!!

• Visited February 2014

Been to Iron Horse Restaurant? Share your experiences!