“Only one visit and that's enough for me.”
Review of Phoenix Buffet - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Next to Howard Johnson
Description: Next to Howard Johnson
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I've always gotten the door hanger menus for this place and I don't live that close to the restaurant. I figured if I they can make the effort to come this far to get my business I can give them a try. I stopped here on the way back from Virginia Beach for the Holiday Lights and for there to be a drive way the food took longer than I think it should. I ordered my beloved Egg Foo Yung and my son got fried chicken I'm sure (he doesn't eat anything else). The place was very empty by the looks of the parking lot and I was the only one in the drive-thru. When I got home to eat I discovered I had no rice (thank goodness I had some in my pantry). The one thing I can appreciate is that they put the gravy in a separate container. It was so awful I thought I would be sick. Very lemony sour (gravy?). It was a rare time that I ever put Soy Sauce on my EFY which was ok enough to finish. I have not been back since and have steered at least one person away from there. Perhaps they are better now but I can't risk it.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

It's rare that I write I reviews of bad establishments, preferring not to leave a comment or report at all, but Phoenix Buffet in Ashland, off exit 92, near the TA Truck Stop, Econo Lodge and Howard Johnson must be commented on. The restaurant is just past the TA Truck Stop, but before the Econo Lodge and HoJo on a really isolated road. Upon approaching the door, the flower beds which are filled with mulch and smells like something was dead or died! Upon entering, we were promptly seating, and decided to get up and check out the selections. There were around 6 other diners in the restaurant which seats around 25. Upon looking over the selection, one of the workers sated that they were making more food after we commented that the food did not look fresh and the serving dishes were more than half empty or a quarter full. After looking over the steam table and not seeing any steam, I touched and lifted the trays/pans which were cold to lukewarm at best. After looking over more dishes, I decided to try the fried rice, the same worker stated that the rice "was old and they were making a new batch." She then scooped up the entire pan of rice on a plate and removed it into the kitchen (presumably). Upon looking over the remainder of the buffet selections, all appeared to have been sitting for awhile in limited quantities, and we're unappealing, so we left, choosing to eat at the Ponderosa across the street. With buffets, looks are everything, and this one just didnt make it. The comments from the worker of the food "being old" made matters worst. The food not being kept at the right temperature, can promote bacteria and food-borne diseases and illness, and just isn't worth the risk in my opinion.