“Just fine”

Super 8 Ashland/richmond
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I almost hesitated staying here again after reading the review that recounted the horror of the bed bugs. But I had stayed here in April without a glitch and decided to give it a try once more, both for the nice price and convenience of the location. I was glad I decided to stay again.
The room was very comfortable - more than I would have expected for what I paid - a steal! Having read the "buggy" review the first thing I did before unpacking was to inspect the bed. Not a bug in sight. Lifting the covers & mattress, I noticed that the hotel had taken precautions to cover the mattress with a sleeve along with other measures.
No it is not the Ritz, but it was certainly more than a typical Super 8, with a huge bed, nicely appointed, desk, couch and coffee table. Clean, spacious & above average furnishings. What more do you want.The pool was not open, but Sept 19th is out of season.
The location is convenient stopping off place for me driving up from the deep South & Florida. It is just beyond Richmond and south enough from Washington to avoid traffic jams late in the day. The town is charming to walk around in the early evening. There are some nice places to eat and plenty of options right around the motel.
I've stayed here before and I'll stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 16, 2012

The front lobby was the cleanest thing about this hotel. Our room was musty smelling and there were smashed bugs on the wall. The rooms on the side of the hotel facing the pool had missing locks and handles making the hotel look run down. The pool water was cloudy and filled with dead bugs. The mattresses were very uncomfortable and the entire family woke up in the morning covered in bed bug bites. I included pictures of our bites with this review. Word to the wise, pull back the blankets and sheets to make sure your bed is bug free.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My family and I Stayed here when driving to Georgia. For a good price rooms were clean and worth its money. We had a good breakfast before long drive. Staff was very helpful. Its convinient so next time when driving to georgia I know where to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2011

The price was why we stopped-but I was disapointed about how dirty the room was--it also appeared that the door had been broken into-so we propped a chair under it! I know these hotels along highways are not good, but the price was right--the issue for me is/was-that I got charged twice--a second fraudulent charge---it is taking all kinds of my precious time to get my money back---so watch out if you use your credit card here!

Room Tip: inspect the room before you bring in your bags-
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank huly00099999
Reviewed June 19, 2011

i stayed at this hotel and was pleased for the price that i paid for the room. the front staff was very nice and cont. brakfest was wonderful. the only thing i didnt like was that the rooms could have been cleaner. but you get what you pay for. over all it was a nice stay and i will come again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2011

The reviews explain it all and unfortunately I am a witness to that. I have pictures that show the filth and unsanitary conditions outside and inside the facility. We had a room with no working refrigerator so they changed it to one that had nasty sheets with no fitted sheet, terribly filthy floors, no internet service, holes in the bathroom wall, no coffee maker, no ice bucket, and pretty much nothing they advertised. The stairs leading to the room looked like they hadn't ever been cleaned. There were 2 non working ice makers and a broken vending machine cluttering the walkway. The night service was ran by 2 punk teenagers that had no answers for anything and very poor customer service. As told by many others, the list goes on and on. This place should be shut down for unsanitary reasons and I can't believe they are allowed to use the Super 8 logo because there are still a few goods ones around.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank crazycruella
Reviewed August 29, 2010

we stayed over 2 nights had no problems with the hotel except for the location which was behind a KFC which we had to make a quick turn into. otherwise for the price it was perfect!!!

• Stayed: August 2010