“Lunch at Bass Pro Shop Resaurant”

Islamorada Fish Company
Ranked #15 of 93 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were refered to the Bass Pro Shop restaurant when we were up at Ashland, VA and looking for some lunch. We were a bit conserned about how the food would be at a sporting goods store, but we were shocked at how good it turned out to be. The apmospher is great with a extra large fish tank in the middle of the dinning room and wonderful food. Get the bread when it is offered to you, it is outstanding homemade bread. The ranch dressing is also worth getting, it is homemade Hidden Valley and as good as my husband makes.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Had wanted to come for a some time now. The food was pretty good. Solf shell crab and clams were very good but the crab cake was below ok. Food was hot but took forever to get to the table. When we got the loaf of bread (that was very good) we were told that our onion rings were coming around the croner, they got there 10 mins later. Ordered a beer half of the way thought my meal and had to remind her of it and got it after I was finished eating. If we were in the area we "might" eat there, but will not make the trip just to eat there.

1  Thank WarrenC5
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Service was slow and the dishes were not very clean. Our waitress seemed put out that we asked her to replace the bread plates (one was still wet from the dishwasher; the other didn't look like it had gone through the dishwasher). After I'd taken a couple of sips of tea, I noticed a residue from lipstick on my glass - I wasn't wearing lipstick and had been drinking through a straw, so I know it wasn't my own. Gross! After asking for and receiving a new glass of tea, the rest of our meal seemed OK but nothing spectacular for the price.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

As one of my favorite places to eat with my family on a regular basis , I can honestly say that although we LOVE eating here the place HAS changed. They have rearranged some of the seating in the restaraunt. They menu has changed up a little too and so has the portions for the food. Apparently they are under NEW management. Our hostess who showed us to our table wasn't much help, we tried to see about being seating by a window that had the shutters open and she wouldn't seat us there. ( Now , the place was not busy by any means.) Our server Lori ( I think) was super nice and very helpful. Now, if you're gonna charge people for catfish , it would be nice to get a good sized catfish fillet. Not a catfish finger.
All in all the server made our dining better , the manager should of had the training to come talk to us about the seating problem , SO..... No good scores for her. I liked the management they had.

2  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stopped in the Bass Pro Shops to take a look and do some impulse shopping. While inside we smelled the very fragrant aroma of the Islamorada Fish Company and decided to go check out the menu, since we had not eaten yet.

The menu looked VERY VERY nice! Plenty of incredible entrees and such! Right next to the menu was a huge smoker burning hickory and smoking rotisserie chicken. It looked VERY yummy, so we made the choice to eat here!

The service was ok... Probably could have been a little better. The bread they give at the table was AMAZING! Very soft, sweet, moist and warm! Sweet tea and drinks were also very nice. But when we got our drinks they came without straws. So, we asked for them. After waiting about 5 minutes, I went searching for straws on my own and found some.

When the food arrived, the chicken was very aromatic and had a very nice flavor! But it was really dry and hard on some parts of the bones. The pan seared potatoes we good and so was the mashed potatoes. The fish and chips we ordered had good flavor, but were not very appealing looking... they looked as if they sat for a while before being served. The broccoli that came with the chicken was horrible; it was cold and flavorless. We told our server and he brought another order of broccoli a few minutes later, but it tasted the exact same, except was hot. (Maybe just came out of a microwave?)

Overall, we would try it again just to see if this was a fluke and this really wasn't that bad of an experience. A little more care in serving and finishing prep of dishes would've made this an outstanding meal, instead of a mediocre one.