“Fantastic!”

Ranked #23 of 210 Restaurants in Ashburn
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: "At Kaiser's" is the Washington, DC metro area's first authentic Austrian Gasthaus. This unique Gasthaus provides a traditional Austrian experience unparalleled by any other venue in the area. Featuring succulent, classic fare from Austrian Chef Thomas Verschnik, "At Kaiser's" is the perfect place for date night, family get-togethers, birthday parties or corporate events. Guests of "At Kaiser's" will enjoy world famous dishes including the classic Wienerschnitzel, Bratwurst, homemade Applestrudel, Zwiebelrostbraten and many more. Our selections also include vegetarian options, as well as a Kids Menu. Featuring some of Austria's finest Beers including such prestigious names as Stiegl and Eggenberg, and time-honored wines from regions like Steiermark, Lower Austria and the Burgenland - "At Kaiser's" brings the certain something that has been missing from the Washington DC area. With something for everyone and every occasion, join us for an atmosphere of friendly fun and "Gemutlichkeit". See for yourself, there's no other experience like "At Kaiser's - The Austrian Gasthaus"!
NOVA
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We just heard about At Kaisers by word of mouth on Christmas day, and were anxious to check it out after reading the menu. I'm pleased to say that the 60 minute trek from Woodbridge was well worth it. Our group tried the Pretzel, the charcuterie platter, the goulash soup, Pork Schnitzel, the Jaeger Schnitzel, and the zwiebel Rostbraten. The schnitzel was very good, light, tender and crispy. My husband had the rostbraten and he said that although the flavor was excellent the beef was not as tender as he expected. The jaeger schnitzel was the real star. The mushroom bacon sauce was delicious; creamy and savory and well...bacon...need I say more? Spaetzle was clearly homemade and nicely cooked. All Portion sizes were generous. We would definitely make the drive back for more of this food!

• Visited December 2013

“Ausgezeichnet!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Having lived in Austria, Germany and Hungary, I was delighted to learn of the opening of an Austrian restaurant in Ashburn -- just a couple of miles from home! Wanting to treat my daughter and her husband to an early Christmas meal, I invited them along on my inaugural trip to At Kaiser's.

They aren't writing this review, but at the end of the meal, we all agreed we'd had one of the best meals ever tasted in Ashburn! For those who think Austrian cooking is just "meat and potatoes" heavy Germanic food, let me disabuse you of that notion. Austrian cuisine is noted for its fine pastry, elegant coffees, delicate sauces, and inventive cooking. VIenna is, after all, the home of Mozart and Strauss (Vienna waltzes, anyone?). Now to the meal...

Noting the availability of landjaeger on the menu, I inquired as to the source. From the butcher, was all I could garner. I love landjaeger, so we ordered an appetizer to share. My daughter ordered the pumpkin soup and I the beef goulash soup. The landjaeger arrived, accompanied by two slices of typical light brown bread, seasoned small onions, a spray of barrel pickle, and some tangy mustard. I like my landjaeger "neat," but my son-in-law loved the mustard! The soups were served in mason jars, and were hot, plentiful and tasty. Next came the entrees: my daughter had the spinach spaetzle with bleu cheese sauce, my son-in-law an I both opted for the Jaegerschnitzel with spaetzle in a mushroom-bacon sauce. Heavenly!

Being a Sunday night, the place was nearly empty. The owner gave us time to ourselves, but also made sure we had everything we needed. I needed an extra fork and one was quickly provided. We simply had to have something from the dessert menu, so my daughter chose the crepes with hazelnut filling, my son-in-law the apple strudel, and I the Vienna Ice Coffee (Eiskaffee). Delightful!

While not cheap (why do mall locations seem to suggest inexpensive?), I've paid more for two without alcohol, and this tab was for three, including my daughter's gluhwein. As I handed the owner my credit card, I joked that she could just write my name on the table now, as I was going to become a regular in short order!

Welcome to Ashburn, At Kaiser's! May you have a long and fruitful stay!

• Visited December 2013
Ashburn, Virginia
“Much welcomed Austrian cuisine in Ashburn!”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Having traveled to Wien (Vienna), Austria several times, Germany several times, and driven through Austria and tasting various cuisines from different areas this place is wonderful! My wife and I had a friend visit us from Austria (by chance we I learned of this place opening the other evening) so we thought we would take him here. He concurs and not shy about expressing his opinion! This place is the real deal. The owner is from Wien and the Chef is from Graz.

The menu is comprised of authentic Austrian cuisines and both German &Austrian beers and Austrian Gruner Veltliner wines. This place did just open and the wait staff is new, but don't let this deter you. It never hurts to ask questions and if the wait staff can't answer, just merely request them to either ask either the owner or the Chef.

Since the food is made fresh, it takes time. While you wait though, try some of the Austrian or German beers or wines and relax! The breads, wurst, and schnitzel are terrific. The sauerkraut and parsley potatoes are very tasty. It's extremely hard to make a great schnitzel as the balance between ensuring the tenderness of the meat, the crispiness of the breaded coating, tastiness of the breaded coating, and fluffiness of the coating is an art.

We have now eaten here twice in the past two weeks and can't wait to go back.

At Kaisers is a much welcomed addition to the culinary diversity of Ashburn, VA!

Ashburn, Virginia
“Austrian/German food comes to Ashburn”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Wonderful to see European faire in Ashburn. Owners are Austrian and do an outstanding job bringing that taste to VA. I had the jaeger schnitzel and it was excellent with the mushroom gravy. The spatzel was some of the best I've reverted had. The service and atmosphere was great. I'm already planning my next trip back.

2 Thank WJDougherty
Ashburn, Virginia
“Great food. Service could use some work.”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife, daughter, and I were very excited to see something different open up in Ashburn beyond the loads of Greek/Italian, pizza, and Asian restaurants in the area.

I had the pork roast and it was excellent. As was the farmer's sausage that my wife ordered - the potatoes that were served with the sausage were especially good! We rounded out the meal with Apple Strudel, which was fair, but the Hazelnut Crepe was out of this world good! Highly recommend the crepe!

This place was formerly an Italian restaurant and barely anything was done to the decor leaving the atmosphere anything other than Austrian. They've hung a few deer antlers here and there, but they look out of place. The music was modern German tunes, which was nice but not what we expected.

The service needs work. Although our waitress was definity nice, she was spread thin and didn't give us the attention needed, i.e., our glasses sat empty far too long and we had to flag her down on several ocassions. The place gets a pass on this for now as we understand it is very new and the kinks need to be ironed out.

Overall, yes, I will absolutely recommend you try this place. Over time, I am hopeful that I will increase my ratings score for At Kaisers.

2 Thank ccabanjo