“Fell short of Homewood Suites standards”

Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
pittsburgh, pa
“Fell short of Homewood Suites standards”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stay in Homewood Suites preferably when I travel. This hotel did not keep up with the standards that I have seen in other Homewood Suites. 1. Poor checkin - staff was confused did not know where the reservation was, no professionalism. 2. Non smoking room smelled like a smoking room. 3. Room was rundown and dirty, not that I expect a spotless room but I like to think it is relatively clean. (stains and hair on the sheets) 4. Checkout - staff again was confused, unsure how to checkout a guest. 5. Poor attitude - a take it or leave it attitude. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: stay in homewood suites dulles south if your coming to this area.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post this review about our hotel. I apologize that you did not have the experience that our hotel promotes. We truly regret the difficulties you experienced during your stay and will make sure our team uses this feedback to improve Service during our peak seasons.

We appreciate your business and want the chance to win you over. I hope that you will give us another try!

Ahmad Erbinieh
General Manager, Homewood Suites Dulles- North

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Arabic first
Minnesota
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed here about 4 nights in June 2012. Directly prior to our arrival they sent an email that they could not give us our reserved 2 bedroom suite, as they didn't have any available. They searched for similar lodging at nearby hotels, but were unable to find any. They eventually put my family of 5 in a one bedroom for the first night (for free) and moved us to a 2 bedroom for the remainder of our stay. Our 2 bedroom suite on the second floor was located near the back of the hotel and close to a mechanical/storage room. The problem with this was that the employees apparently used these rooms to take smoke breaks, and our room would smell like cigarette smoke frequently. The final drawback we found was that the breakfast staff seemed overwhelmed the days we were there. On all but one day, almost all the breakfast food was gone when we arrived in the breakfast area around 8:00am, and the staff couldn't seem to make it fast enough to feed the number of guests. We ended up eating cereal on these days. Other than this, the rooms were spacious and clean, and the outdoor pool at the hotel was very nice. Also, the indoor pool at the connected Embassy Suites was nice for one of the cooler days we were there. The staff was very friendly and seemed like they were trying to help, but just weren't always effective. I tried to speak with the manager about our issues, but he wasn't available at that time. The staff at the desk asked me to leave my cell phone number, which I did, but he never called me back. I've stayed at nicer hotels in the area, and although this one was ok, I will not be staying here next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are near a construction area next door, and they start construction very early.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the Homewood Suites Dulles- North. I am disappointed to hear that we fell short of your expectations for several aspects of your stay and apologize sincerely for the issues that you encountered.

We value your feedback and strive to make every guest's stay comfortable and enjoyable.
I apologize again for the issues that you encountered and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service again in the future and we can demonstrate the Homewood Suites difference in action!

Ahmad Erbinieh
General Manager, Homewood Suites Dulles- North
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Clean, comfortable place to stay. Be careful using their wifi network. I was hacked while making reservations for a mountain cabin near New Market.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team. On a side note, I will be looking into your internet experience!

Pleasanton, California
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed there 2 nights and had very different results.

For the first night I got a room 156 next to the laundry and the elevator and it was quite noisy. Also, I came backup after midnight and my card would not open the door. I was standing in front of the door ringing the bell for more than 5 mins before someone let me in. The TV was old and small. Then I tried to watch some youtube videos and the the video was stopping every half a minute because internet connection was slow (next morning I went to business center to print some directions and the Internet on the computer over there was also slow).

So I was pretty disappointed and talked to the front desk lady.

The next night I came at 1 am and the door opened right away, I was moved to another room on the 3rd floor and it was really quite. Well, the Internet didn't get better, but I got a big LCD TV in the room, so no disappointment there. The only problem was this room didn't have tea stocked and I had to go downstairs to get some.

Overall, the place is great. The rooms have a lot of space, they are clean, comfortable furniture, perfectly usable kitchens, friendly staff, good free breakfast. Unfortunately, not all rooms are equally comfortable and, apparently, not all staff members are equally good, so I can understand why people were posting mixed reviewed.

My advice would be to talk to the front desk and looks like they would try to get your problems solved once you make them aware.

Room Tip: Make sure you're not close to the elevator or laundry. If you watch TV, ask for a room with a ne...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your candidness and apologize that we fell short of both your expectations and mine. We will apply your observations to our customer service improvement plan that we are implementing. Also, we are in the middle of upgrading our internet access to provide much more bandwidth to our guests!

We encourage you to return to our location as our goal is to provide a flawless stay. If your travels return you to the Dulles Corridor, please contact me directly at the hotel. We look forward to another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.

Netherlands
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. We spent the first few nights and the last night of our trip here because of the location near the airport. The suite we booked for the first 3 nights was fine. Spacious, clean and quiet (2nd floor) The suite we got for our last night was horrible, the layout and looks were excellent but it was NOISY. The bedroom was right next to a AC unit as large as a truck which switched on and off every 5 minutes. Our kids did not get much sleep at all and kept waking up because of this monster. Also you can hear every footstep on the wooden floor above. We paid a huge amount of money for this room as we wanted a good rest before a 9 hour intercontinental flight and we got the exact opposite. Very disappointing end to our stay in the DC area.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not on the first floor near a huge AC unit ! Top floor would be fine.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post this review about our hotel. I apologize that you did not have the experience that our hotel promotes and would love for you to give us another chance so that we can make things right.

Medford, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We choice this site because it would accommodate our family of 6. We arrived for our spring break at 9p.m. on Friday night and the front desk clerk had to walki someone to see if room was made up. Well if check in time is at 3 or 4 in the afternoon I can see the need for this process if that was the time we arrived, but at 9 p.m. the uncertainty was a red flag. For good reason because when we got up to the room the chair for the desk was in the kitchen area (middle of walk way), the trash from previous guest was on the floor in the bedroom, the beds were not made up, no towels, trash on floor in both bedroom and living room area so therefore had not been vacuumed. We were moved to another room by manager. His stance was that "things happen". He gave us a voucher to stay one weekend night if we are in the area. Seems pointless if we are on vacation from Boston. How convenient a night in Ashburn VA would be!!! I thought the room was a bit small for a suite. Positives: The desk staff was very helpful with questions during our stay and even printing out maps and giving travel suggestions. The hotel is outside of D.C. by about 45 mins. Many local places to eat since during the weekend there is nothing on site. Breakfast was pretty good and the kids had there fill. This hotel was worth the price we paid from Expedia.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to our Homewood Suites Dulles North. I am disappointed to hear that we fell short of your expectations during your recent visit. I can assure you that this issue has been looked into and corrected and we really hope to see you soon!

We truly value your business Thank you again for your feedback. I apologize again for the issues that you encountered and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service again in the future.

Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

It not the location for nightlife ... but it is a great hotel
with everything you will need for a business stay.
Reasonable rates, good service, excellent breakfast.
Staff is friendly and helpful. Lots of parking space.
Nearby (excellent) restaurants and burgers.
Internet connection OK.
Rooms clean, spacious and I LOVE the kitchenette.
DO not expect a huge flat screen LCD - everything else will be great.

Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Applejodler
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! Please come back and visit us again. We appreciate your business.

General Manager, Homewood Suites Dulles North
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Aloft Dulles Airport North
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport
Courtyard Dulles Town Center

Been to Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun? Share your experiences!