“There is no better way to see a movie!”

Alamo Cinema Drafthouse
Ranked #3 of 8 Fun & Games in Ashburn
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This was my first visit. I had been to similar setups in the past, but Alamo sure has it all figured out! Benefits: you pick your own reserved seats, (even the back row was great!) Wait staff very nice and very efficient. Downside: We were easily seduced into buying too much food (not by wait staff, just by the fun concept). Can't complain about typical movie theatre price-gouging for popcorn since it is refillable, however, I did end up with a popcorn overdose! Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

What a cool idea! Lets begin with the bad. The Elvis hair wannabe bartender with the greater than thee, well those around him ( often refereed to as customers) needs to go. You exist because we choose to patronize the business. Just a smidgen of personality goes a long way! On to the great stuff. Movie and a glass of beer, not in a paper cup, but a glass of beer! 36+ choices, what an impressive line up. Bottomless Parmesan Popcorn reasonably priced, perfect! Comfy seats, great sound, fun previews. Win Win! Go online a few days before and book your favorite seat. Easy fast check in.
The service lacks a bit after the movie starts. To indicate you want service you place a little card in front of you, I could barely see to get the card, don't know how effective that is. Our waitress' tip would have been considerably better had she got us the 2nd and possibly 3rd round. Pizza was good, The "Royale with Cheese" ( yes I had one during Pulp Fiction! ) was just okay. Love this place, but I'll likely pass on going early to relax in the lounge as long as the guy that wants me to beg for a beer is tending bar.
Overall, A great idea, best place for an adult to watch a movie, previews and premovie entertainment is awesome. I will be bacl

Reviewed February 2, 2014

The appeal of the Alamo Drafhouse was that you have wait service right in the theater with a full menu that you eat right at your seat. Also they strictly enforce a no talking and texting rule. They don't allow children if it's not a children's movie so it really preserves the movie going experience. Also, the only previews are special events coming up at the Alamo Drafthouse. They play odd little movie shorts and b-movie trailers while you eat. There is also a nice bar off of the lobby with a good selection of microbrews. The food was above average. The seats were very comfortable with leg room for miles. I found parking easily but that might change soon because it looks like there is tons of development beginning. There is also a nice little courtyard in front of the theater with little games the kids could play, plenty of seats, a small stage and lots of trees. I suspect it will be a great place to hang out once the weather warms up.

For the cost of a standard movie ticket, you reserve your seat in advance, show up a half an hour early and order your food. Once the lights go down, you communicate with your servers with notes that you write on proved pads that you stick in a certain spot on your table so that the service know it's there. You can continue to order food, but it's hard to eat in the dark. You can get a bottomless soda cup or bowl of popcorn.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Went here last night to see American Hustle with my friend. She had been before and really liked it. This was my first trip, but I have been to other theaters in the US that are similar. I really liked the theatre and the pre shoe was hilarious. I like how they play other movies besides the mainstream ones. I ordered a milkshake that was very good and a burger. I was not impressed with the burger, and would not get it again. However, overall I really enjoyed myself and would go again. I will be getting something different to nibble on. The seats were very comfortable, and I like that if people are talking or texting they will handle it. This did not happen, but the rules were very clear. I was at Tysons the previous night for a movie and it was $12.50, this was only $11.50. This was much much better. Definitely give this place a try.

1  Thank Anne J
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I decided to take a trip here to see a movie. I have been to a number of other Alamo Drafthouse (the ones in Dallas and Austin), and this was nice place to see a film. The seats are nice, and you reserve your seat when you buy your ticket (consider buying tickets in advance if you want to see a popular movie). You can also order food and drinks during the movie. The food I had was good, as well as first drink, the second drink seemed a little off, but still drinkable.

There are three problems with the experience. First, the lack of light in the theater. I know it needs to be dark in the theater, but when you need to write your orders down, it can be difficult to see what you are writing as well as the menu, particularly when you order during the movie. Second, there is not a good place to put your coat. In light of the reserved seating, putting your coat in the seat next to you isn't always an option. Third is eating during the movie. I had a salad, and in a dark theater it can be problem to eat in the dark, add to this the fact you can't really use the counter in front of you to eat, it is just too far from your seat (I held my plate in front of me while I ate). I would recommend taking this into account when ordering food, think hand food. These aren't major issues, but something to think about when you go, just bring a small flashlight and consider leaving your jacket in your car.

The area around the theater have a few restaurants, a bar, but there is not much of interest within walking distance of the theater. There are some empty lots around the area, so this may change in the future. It was a bit of a trip for me, and I got my ticket early, there wasn't much to consume my time while I waited to enter the theater. There is a bar that is part of the Alamo, but I did not visit it.

One of the reasons I visited the theater was the films they are showing. There are quite a number of screenings of movie you normally wouldn't be able to see in a theater (though not on Friday or Saturday night). Check there website, you may find something you might like to see. They also do quote-a-long, which sounds like fun (I have not been to one of these showing).