“Great concept. More work to do.”

Alamo Cinema Drafthouse
Ranked #3 of 9 Fun & Games in Ashburn
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have had 2 visits so far. Both movies were not crowded. The first was 3 weeks ago and we ordered simple items such as popcorn and a coke. No problems although getting the bill and paying seemed to take some time. This weekend we went to see another movie and brought a guest to showcase the place. We ordered a complete dinner. A disaster. They got half wrong and one item that did not have the avocado in it when questioned, I was told it would cost me again to have it delivered. At the end, the screwed up the bills charging me for another customer and he me. They were only 6-8 people in the cinema hall. The reps were polite enough but totally disorganized and there seemed to be more employees than customers. Its expensive and if we are ordering from a restaurant and paying restaurant prices, we should have the food correct, delivered hot and receive and pay the correct bill. I won't bring any more friends until its a better experience.

All reviews
"free refills"
"love this place"
"cookies"

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had a hankering to see Star Trek: Into Darkness again (because Benedict Cumberbatch!) but my nearest theater wasn't showing at the time of my sudden urge. An internet search turned up the fact that the Alamo Drafthouse was open for business - Yes!

The theater is located in Ashburn in a location off Route 7 called One Lounden. How appropriate; as the touted "New Downtown" currently seemed to have only one resident - the Drafthouse itself. Even the traffic lights weren't all online and construction evidence was everywhere.

I had arrived in plenty of time for the show, but be aware this place doesn't feature stadium-sized theaters. There were only four single seats left, pretty crazy for a film that's been out almost a month. The ticket price was $9 for a post-6pm showing, cheaper than a matinee hereabouts. Inside, the seat was comfortable enough with a clear field of view, even for a short person in the back row, over the aisle-long table to the screen showing cheesy Star Trek live-action and cartoon clips, official and unofficial. After an ad for upcoming Drafthouse events, a multi-screen warning against talking or texting, and just a couple of official previews, the movie started.

Now the ticket price may be cheaper than most other theaters in the area. However, one of the major hooks of an Alamo Drafthouse is the ability to order food and drink, either from the attached restaurant or within the theater itself, and then chow down during a showing. That said, the prices of the consumables weren't too steep. The menu featured plenty of movie-fare like bottomless popcorn and sodas to greasy spoon food like burgers, pizzas, and shakes taken upscale. I wrote down my order ($12 mushroom and onion pizza and a $6.50 draft of Devil's Backbone) and popped the paper into the slot in front of me. Server Gabby came down the aisle and picked up all the slips before the previews. The food arrived early in the movie. The pizza was hot with a crispy crust, the onions were sweet and the mushrooms mushroomy. The beer was cold and came in a good-sized glass. Periodically the servers would circulate the room, to take down new orders, refill the popcorn, clear the dishes, and drop off the checks. Everything was wrapped up by the time the credits rolled.

I enjoyed the show and will definitely return for more dinner and movie experiences. However, I will probably go for films I've seen already or don't require deep concentration to follow the plot. As discreetly as the servers tried to move in the dark, they still were a bit of a distraction to me while I was watching the action onscreen. Alamo's warning was taken seriously though, as there was no speech, no cell-phone action; even the usual popcorn chomps and soda slurps were non-existent. Heaven. Overall I'd rate the Alamo Drafthouse at 4 1/2 dots.

Date of experience: June 2013
1  Thank casaraton
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We went here for a friend's birthday and everyone loved it. It was everyone's first time going to an Alamo Drafthouse, and we were all super impressed. This theater is new to the area so we weren't sure what to expect. We looked into it a little bit and found out it's good to show up a half hour early. Do this, so you can get your food order in! As far as food goes, everything we had was amazing -- I don't think there are bad choices. We were a bit concerned about cost but you get what you pay for. Pizza at another theater we went to was maybe...like $3.00 less but the Alamo Drafthouse pizza was larger and had a ton of toppings on it. It had a better taste to it, and two people could split one pizza easily (which cannot be said of the other pizza if you were pretty hungry). Service was great -- it hasn't been open long so they're still working out some kinks (hubby ended up with a free drink because two people brought his drink order out), but overall it was great. He got a free drink so we can't complain too much!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We arrived in town late friday afternoon and were looking for something to do. A friend of ours had mentioned that the drafthouse had just opened. We were hungry and had also wanted to see the Great Gatsby so it was a win/win situation. We bought the tickets online which was nice as we got to pick our seat locations for the show. The website recommended to go early so we could enjoy the entertainment before the movie. We arrived at 6:00 PM for the 6:40 show. We checked in and ran into the bar and ordered a few of their craft brews. I had the Smuttydog Brown Ale and my wife had the Love Ale (Similar to Blue Moon). We enjoyed the brews and went into see the movie. We ordered the Godfather pizza and bottomless popcorn. Not too complicated. The pizza was good and we love popcorn, so no complaints here. We would go back if we ever visit the area again. We also liked the move. I read some of the other reviews and agree with the food timing. Much better to get there early and order your food because once the movie starts, you can't really see.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Happy hour, dinner, a movie... Yes. The Alamo strives for it all. Great tap selection, very good seating scheme, good food and first run movies. That is a nice combo. There is a premium to pay for such luxury, so bring your ready money. A drink, movie and dinner for two, plus popcorn ran close to $70. My burger was juicy, the fries quickly moved to room temp, the beer was served at a good temp (i.e,not too cold) and the pop orb was bottomless, not that we could eat a bowl. The good news on the corn is that the butter was undeniably real as my arteries hardened while Star Trek played on.

It was a touch odd to me to eat in the dark, but that was acceptable. The service was good, and it is clean. I will return and bring friends.

It is gluten free friendly, although the selection was not great even though the advertise. There are a lot of ways to play it depending on your sensitivity. For those unaffected, the beer selection was very good.