“Pleasantly Surprised”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2013

First visit to El Sol. Had a coupon for $10 off on $30 so thought would give it a try. Didn't really have high expectations but was pleasantly surprised. Margaritas, beer, and tequila shots all seemed a bit overpriced but welcome to Ashburn I guess. Entrees were much more reasonably priced and the portions were huge. My wife and I both brought home half our meal. Rice and beans were pretty bland but I consider that standard fare and filler for Mexican restaurants. Entrees were very good though. I had a grilled steak and vegetables with jalapenos that came with several tortillas. Wife had fajitas burritos which were very tasty. Chips and salsa were above average and also came with a white mayonnaise based sauce too. Service was very fast and friendly (even for a Friday night). Decor was quite nice and the lively mexican music added to the atmosphere. Were in and out in well less than an hour. Definitely plan to visit again.

There are newer reviews for El Sol Azteca

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We went on a Friday evening. They handled crowds well, but we found the food and service to be mediocre. The atmosphere was good, with the restaurant's decoration being very "cool". That said, either the AC was not working that evening, or they keep the restaurant warm because it was a bit uncomfortable in there.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The last time we visited this restaurant it was for a very disappointing late lunch - and I wrote a review. It has been a good six months since then, and although we had decided not to return, we recently received a coupon for a discount at dinner and decided to use it. We went on a Wednesday, their mariachi night, and what a pleasant surprise! The food and gold margaritas were yummy, service good, and the music fun! That was last week.
We wanted to share this restaurant with friends and brought them with us this week - again on Wednesday to enjoy the mariachi and to "head South of the border". Again, food was good, gold margaritas yummy, service good, and all was enhanced by the mariachi music!
Our friends loved it and will be returning - we are so glad our experiences were so improved and wish El Sol Azteca a good, long run in the area!

1  Thank VALinnie
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Large menu, a good number of vegetarian selections. Excellent service. We always enjoy this restaurant but as long time West Coast (LA) residents, we are aware that restaurants in this area cater to East Coast tastes, so if you are from the west, you will need to adjust.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went to,El Sol Azteca tonight, it was our 2nd visit...our first visit was their opening week and they didn't have a full menu, we thought the food was bland on the first visit too, but thought we would give it a 2nd try. I got the pork carnitas ...they,were bland and so fatty that I couldn't eat half of them., .. The guacamole was the only thing that was good .... My husband had the enchiladas and said they were,also bland,...I tried a bite of the cheese enchilada ...the cheese was like a block of solid cheese, and the sauce had no flavor. It's too bad the food is not good because the restaurant is large, has outdoor seating, and the decor is very nice.