“New Year's Bloody Mary”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2014

After an easy New Year's Eve, my wife and I took our annual top-down road trip to water. In the past, we've been to the Gulf of Mexico, Mississippi River, Atlantic Ocean, James River, and more, depending on where we were living at the time. This year, we went to Great Falls National Park--really nice, and quite impressive, even for Paula, who grew up within half an hour of Niagara Falls! After the water and top-down ride (maybe two minutes--it's a lot colder here than in New Orleans and Cameron), we headed to Ford's Fish Shack for our traditional New Year's Feast of shellfish and Bloody Marys. We sure picked the right place! Ford's is a local institution with locations in Ashburn and Chantilly, but this was our first visit. It certainly won't be our last. Unfortunately, I don't remember the bartender's name, but she was terrific: she makes a good spicy BM, and she is personable and very efficient. The oysters, Blue Point and Vancouvers, were cold, briney, and delicious. The fried belly clams were perfectly cooked and really good--so much better than the ubiquitous tasteless clam strips HoJo made famous. The clam chowdah was probably the next-best I ever had, second only to a bowl I had in Ogunquit, Maine, several years back. The perfect way to begin 2014.

There are newer reviews for Ford's Fish Shack

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have eaten here a few times now and we have still been impressed by the food. Every dish we have had has been very good. Although not exactly the more gourmet menu, it is exquisite nonetheless. Furthermore, it is well priced for what you are getting. I recommend the sea bass whenever it is on special. And if you go on the weekend be ready to wait. We have hardly ever shown up and been seated right away. But it is worth the wait.

1  Thank JPhoenix
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten at Ford's Fish Shack several times. ALWAYS a superb meal. The seafood is VERY fresh, perfect quantity, VERY tasty! The service is friendly and professional. You can count on the server for personal recommendations based on their experience. WOW! Recommend to use call ahead seating because Ford's is very popular. My favorites are Angry muscles, clam chowder, cod, lobster and the homemade desserts! Yum!

1  Thank OldBuzzard78
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Read many reviews of this place, and decided to give it a try. We sure weren't disappointed! It was crowded, but we got a seat right away. The clam chowder was delicious. The tarter sauce was really good with the fried whole clams....yum! My husband loved his lobster roll a lot. I would recommend this place to anyone who likes seafood..... I guess if there was a downside, I would have to say the noise level...not an easy place to hold a conversation....but then who needs to "conversate" when you''e eating such good stuff!! We'll be back for sure.

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

When picking family up from the airport, I wanted to take them somewhere close but good. Ford's fit the bill. The food was tasty, beers were cold, and service was friendly. I would go again!

1  Thank mwsanderrrrs