“Whatever”

Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I had been meaning to pay a visit to this place after some time and was able to do so after getting bumped from a flight that I had been waiting around for at the airport all day. Needless to say, myself and my wife were ready to relax and have a few glasses of wine and some food. I'm your typical NoVa guy transplanted from Atlanta. I've had every dining experience under the sun between the 2 locations and all my other travels. In college, I also worked in a few restaurants and know the hard work that it is. Bottom line at Parallel based on one Friday night visit: you will overpay for middling food and mostly overpriced wine ( though, to be sure, some may not be, but most of what I saw in the self serve, I can get at Harris Teeter), and lousy service. We ordered shrimp and grits and it was as if they dropped the entire box of Zatarains in it and covered it with mystery glop. It was laughingly hilarious. Our server really was bad. We had to flag him down EVERY time and he never bothered to really do anything. Typical experience we have all had somewhere along the line but frustrating. I even only tipped 15% (versus the standard 20%), which I never do because I know how hard that job is. The clientele is typical for Ashburn...some normal people, some people sniffing their glasses, some 55+. I don't know. I just walked away feeling like it was sterile and overpriced because it's in Ashburn( right around the corner from my house) and has the word 'bistro' in it. We are too easy to please here in Ashburn and places like this do us a disservice, I think, because the sheeple (of which I am unfortunately a part of) will just frequent them and not really think about the fact that it really isn't that good or unique or filled with any atmosphere. I can't believe I have devoted all this time to this review but my visit left me frustrated; however, I remedied this by a visit next door to the Safeway and picked up a nice bottle of Cabernet and drank it in the comfort of my own home eating Triscuits and cheese in front of the TV and fireplace....a much better experience.

1  Thank Isanyscreenname

Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is a great restaurant and wine bistro. There are wine machines arrayed along one wall that allows anyone to taste approx 20 different wines. The chef is a master at combining unusual flavors that result in a delightful taste experience. There are small and large plates to share. The hospitality is warm and inviting. It has a casual neighborhood atmosphere with a touch of class.

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

The food is get good here, the atmosphere is wry cozy, perfect for a night out.. But they price the wine and food high because they are so trendy. We love to pay for the food and experience but we know go here that often because it's not worth it. With that being said, their brunch is an entirely different story. It is reasonably priced and they even have a mimosa flight!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

great plate varieties to share, excellent wine selection. Can order wine by glass, bottle or a machine where you can have a taste, or glass ( I think half a glass too)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Good wine selection and good wine, pretty good cheese & charcuterie, fantastic pork dishes (I recommend the pork belly with fava beans and creamed corn; the pork chop is good, too), but subpar desserts (not fresh; chewy & gummy instead of moist).

The service was a little off. We were served our entrees when we were just halfway through our appetizers, yet our dessert arrived about 5-10 minutes later than it should have and had clearly been sitting out for a while.

I would go back, but skip dessert and hope for even expediting on the dishes.

1  Thank decafisevil