“Watch your debit/credit cards....they will charge you and not tell you.....”

Aloft Dulles Airport North
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Madison WI
“Watch your debit/credit cards....they will charge you and not tell you.....”
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Although I thought the look and feel of the hotel was great, the staff are severely lacking in customer service. I had paid for my room 3 months before checking in. When I checked in the front desk clerk asked to see my debit card and then swiped it. Which I thought was odd since it had already been paid for. He handed it back to me with the card keys without a word. Also no smile, no friendliness at all.
Later I went and checked my bank account online to find that sure enough they had put a hold on my debit card for $155.40. Without once informing me that they would do so. When I confronted the front desk about this, all the girl could say was that it was their policy to charge everyone for incidentals. Now in my experience hotels ask, "Would you like to put down a card for incidentals?" since I had a cell phone and was sight seeing in DC most of the time there.....I had no use for movies or a phone.
When I asked her to fix it, she said she did not have the authority and I would have to wait for a manager, whom she did not know when would be around next, on Memorial Day weekend of all things! I asked everyday for a manager, we were there 3 days. And he was never around. Then on the last night a young man named Ryan at the front desk told me he was acting as manager....he said that when I checked out the hold would be released. Fine, of course now my vacation is over and I was unable to spend $155.40 of my money on it. Indeed after we checked out the hold was taken off. Two days later they charged my card for $122.10. I am now on day two of waiting for the Manager to call me back to fix this and I'm worried I may loose my money all together. I'm afraid that they will try and say that I used the phone or movies, but I did not and since I'm back home in Wisconsin and their all the way in Virginia proving it will be hard. So watch your debit/credit cards at the Aloft Dulles Hotel, they are not an honest place.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed May 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank imogen30
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, June 11, 2009
Aloha imogen30!

I am very happy that you like the look and feel of the Aloft. We are truly a place with open spaces, and endless possibilities.

Clearly we have some customer service training issues that we are aware of and within the past 2 weeks we have changed some of our staff and facilitated 3 service culture training classes.

The level of guest service is now far superior than of last month. I also do apologize for holding funds on your debit card, we have many other options to choose from beside the instance you encountered. Please feel free to contact me if this is stil a concern at milan.patnaik@aloftdulles.com.

Again, thank you for your comments, we constantly solicit our guests feedback so we can improve on our guest service and product.

Milan Patnaik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed May 26, 2009

This hotel is definitely a break from the norm! The staff is more than accomodating! We had to cancel our wedding due to the swine flu in Mexico and they bent over backwards to help! The ambiance is great and the staff is amazing! The patio is unique also! Highly recommend staying!

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank ajbiggie
Aloha ajbiggie!

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding our beautiful new hotel concept and our very accommodating talent! It was our pleasure to help you out with your wedding, I have seen pictures and they are wonderful!

Take care and call us if you ever need anything else i.e. Honeymoon party!!!

Have a great weekend!
Florida
Reviewed May 21, 2009

We stayed here just one night to prepare international morning flight next day. Home page of this hotel looks trendy. So we paid about $120 for weekday night by using their reservation system with some kind expectation. We left the hotel with a lot of dissapointments. Indeed room decoration is contemporary, however something wrong in design and constraction. You can hear every kind of noise from next room ranging from toilet flashing, showering through TV etc. I guess the thickness of the wall or structure itself is a cause of this problem. Flat TV is fine from the bed but no way to view it from the desk due to an sharp angle. Working table is so tiny to work or dine. A/C system is cheap window type. This A/C is very noisy when working and air get too dry. We were shut off the system. This is probably to reduce the wall thickness and A/C construction cost. We had a problem to find the space of delivered meals. They provide free ice packed in plastic bag at front desk, However there is no bucket available in room or bar for rent. How do you use it? By the way, we used airport shuttle, and their managing system was terribly wrong. I called hotel four times from the airport to get the shuttle with Hilton logo after waiting two hours at designated hotel bus stop at the airport! We were told "Shuttle runs every thirty minutes. Please be patient a little bit more!" "Your waiting position of 2A is right, however you have to look at the white bus with Shauffer logo instead of Aloft logo. You might miss the bus. Please look for this outlook shuttle" "Who did you call? you have to call me. I am the person in charge of shuttle. Please move to 2H to be picked up the bus I arrange right now" Fact we found was the hotel once had a regular shuttle system. Now they are using Hilton group shuttle system to reduce the operating cost according to the honest bus driver. The bus has no logo or any description of Aloft nor Shauffer. assoon as arriving the hotel, where we were suggested as eating place was ExxonMobile in front or restaurnat at Hilton Garden Inn located next to this hotel. They kindly provide shuttle service to area restaurants which depart every one hour based on the front. We had no courage remained to make another challenge. We used delivery service, however the delivery service by the restaurant was blocked at the front, I had to go down to pick up some food. We had no energy remained to use fitness and pool facilities.
This is a good hotel competing with two stars category hotels. You will be highly disappointed if you pay more than $50 per night. Beleive me..

1 Thank JuilletFlorida
Aloha Juillet from Florida!

Although we know the Aloft concept is not for everyone most of our first time guests love it and can't wait until an Aloft opens in their hometown!

I do apologize for the concern you had with our shuttle vans, we have actually stream lined the process for all four hotels PM Hospitality Strategies, Inc. manages: Aloft Dulles Airport North, Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North, Homewood Suites Dulles North and Embassy Suites Dulles North. This is so all of our guests enjoy the comfort of 8 shuttles instead of one per hotel. I do apologize for the wait, there must have been some communication error on our part which i will investigate and correct immediately.

Again, thank you for your comments. It is with feedback like yours we can find ways to improve our service and product,

Milan Patnaik

Travelers are raving about these Ashburn hotels

PA
Reviewed May 17, 2009

My boyfriend and I chose to stay at this hotel while in town for a wedding. We checked in Friday evening and there was music BLARING in the lobby - I had to repeat our name a few times to the guy at the front desk for him to even hear us.. We went up to our room w/no problem and the furniture, decor, and style were great. Aside from the blaring music from the lobby (which we heard all night and we were all the way on the 4th floor) and extremely noisy hallway, our major complaint was the fact that our room was never cleaned! We were gone all day Saturday for a wedding and when we returned at 11 pm that evening we expected to have clean sheets, towels, and toiletries, but to our surprise, housekeeping never came to our room. We were too tired to voice a complaint that night, but when we checked out the next day we informed the front desk of what happened. The guy apologized and wrote our room # down and said he'd look into it..... I'd be pretty reluctant to stay at this chain again, the decor is really the only thing this hotel has going for it.

1 Thank traveler823Pa
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, May 19, 2009
Aloha Traveler823Pa!

Our W xyz lounge is truly the talk of the town! With different themed nights such as Spinstar Wednesdays (Bring your own iPod and be the DJ) , Diva DJ nights on Thursdays (resident DJ spinning the latest in D.C. music culture), as well as locals and guests alike hosting birthday, anniversary parties and even baby or bridal showers in our remix lobby - the W xyz lounge is definately a destination sensation.

I do apologize that the music level was not to your liking. We do try to accommodate all of our guest preferences, especially if we know they like a quiet room, we would place them in an area on our highest floor in a quite, cozy corner away from our lounge.

In reviewing your concern about our refresh talent not cleaning your room, it seems that your "Do Not Disturb" sign was placed outside on your door. Your privacy is absolutely important to us, as we do not wish to disturb our guests.

Please accept our sincerest apology for this matter. Should you need future resevations for our hotel, please feel free to contact me so I can pre-assign your room in a quiet area.

Thanks again for the comments, we truly appreciate all of our guests' feedback.

Virginia
Reviewed May 15, 2009

This hotel tries to hard to be trendy - loud disco music in the lobby and elevator decordated in little stripe prints interspersed with bright colored blotchy designs. The rooms are heavy on the medium blue, dark green and stainless steel walls/floors plus the in-room magazines are all about science puzzles.

Even the soap is a bright medium blue that smells somewhat masculine and clinical. The sink and shower backed up quickly and drained slowly plus the food was priced much higher than it needed to be. The maid did not replace used soaps or clean the sink and shower the whole time I stayed there (3 nights).

There were two things I did like about this hotel: 1) a floor-to-ceiling length sliding mirror door separates the toilet area from the sink area; and 2) there are 2 parking spaces out front reserved for hybrid vehicles.

Overall the experience was so impersonal and annoying that I checked out of the hotel much earlier than normal wondering if only a male uber-nerd would be happy here...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank DCCommuter
mpatnaik, Milan Patnaik at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, May 19, 2009
Aloha DCCommuter from Virginia!

The Aloft concept is very unique from the regular cookie cutter hotel experiences we are all accustomed to.

A busy W xyz lounge with the latest in music culture, our open spaces, creative designs and 9' loft like ceilings all make a total sensory overload as you enter our new Dulles, VA hotel. We even have 42" HDTV's with an mp3 connection, cordless telephones which are all VOIP, and you can even set up your wake up call, check out of your room or pick your favorite restaurant by using your TV remote!

Although we know the Aloft concept is not for everyone, we are hoping to find our niche with travelers that are bored at staying at the same hum drum hotels they have been using.

Thanks for your comments, we appreciate all the feedback our guests provide us in order to remain focused on our service.

San Diego
Reviewed May 8, 2009

My husband and I were originally booked for 3 nights. We had to check out after the first one. When we got in approximately 10:30 p.m. the bar and music were going. Once we got to our room and went to bed we couldn't go to sleep. The bar and music went on until approximately 3 a.m. After that people were screaming down the hall along with a game of soccer. We were so exhausted we didn't bother to complain until we left that morning. At the front desk the lady did not want to hear our experience. After asking for another room she went to put us in the same hall. I had to ask for a room on another floor. So without any apologies we were moved one floor up. We were excited because this room had a coffee pot. It also was right above their outdoor lounge area which looked beautiful, but since it was raining we didn't think anyone would be out there at night. Well we came back to our hotel at 5 p.m. to find they were setting up for a wedding. When we called down to the front desk they stated that yes there were 3 weddings planned along with the Redskin picks. We asked if we could come down and maybe move our room away from the outdoor lounge. He stated we could try. Again with no apologies and a very inpatient attitude we were told that," hey I'm giving you the opportunity to check out now, even though check out was at noon." I about fell over. We checked out. We have never ever experienced such poor customer service anywhere. We don't see this hotel staying open too long especially with the Hilton in the same parking lot.

1 Thank StevieSanDiego
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, May 15, 2009
Aloha Stevie from San Diego!

I do sincerely apologize for the loud music coming from our W xyz lounge. Since this is the Aloft Brand a vision of W Hotels, we do have a busy lounge on the first floor in our re:mix lobby.

I also apologize that our staff failed to move you to a corner room on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th floor where you can not hear the business of the bar or the music.

I am so happy that you thought our BACKYARD area is beautiful. This is the same reason we have guests that conduct actual wedding ceremonies next to our double sided fire-place. I apologize again, since it seems we failed to display a sense of compassion in relocating your room on your second day with us.

I do appreciate the feedback given, I will make it my number one priority to ensure all of our aloha desk talent is properly trained in problem resolution and that our attitudes reflect a more hospitable manner.

Please feel free to contact me during your next visit in the Dulles, Virginia area so that I may personally make sure your room is located in a more appropriate area of the hotel to ensure a quiet and peaceful rest.

Rochester, NY
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I would have loved to write a great review about how cool the hotel was and how awesome the 42 inch LCD in the room was but the service absolutely killed my families stay.

My wife and our two young kids (ages 2 and 9 months) stayed there last Saturday night on the way back from Myrtle Beach. Besides the fact that the air conditioning didn't seem to be working in the main lobby (it was a record breaking 92 degrees that day), everything in the hotel seemed great. The room was modern and good sized. The TV was terrific. Everything was going good until we tried to go to sleep.

At 10:05 pm, I pulled the comforter off the bed and discovered a DIRTY TISSUE in the sheets!!!! I called the front desk and told them about the issue. I was told they would send someone up to replace the sheets immediately. I can't figure out how the dirty tissue could have gotten there. Either the sheets never got changed or housekeeping left me a present.

By 10:35, nobody had come to our room. The kids were about to lose it as they were so tired. My wife calls the front desk again, and the person who answered the phone had NO IDEA WHAT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT!!!! Our first call was completely ignored!!!
He told my wife he'll send someone up right now.

10 minutes later, someone from the front desk knocks on our door. We let him in and he says "Here are the sheets, where would you like me to put them?". My wife looks at him confused and responds "On the bed?....." You would think he would make the bed for us right, especially when both my wife and I had a half asleep crying kids in our arms?

"I don't have any housekeeping experience, but I can send the shuttle driver up once he gets back". What the? This guy doesn't know how to make a bed? How much longer were we supposed to wait until the shuttle driver got back?

So my wife says, "You got to [--] kidding me? Our bed has a DIRTY TISSUE in it, we wait almost 40 minutes for someone to come up here, and then we have to make our own bed?!!!!!"

At this, the guy looks at me with an incredulous look like it was beneath him to make the bed and that he was utterly insulted that we actually requested that he make it. He walked right out of our room without saying another word!!!!!

At that point, with the kids a mess, I just changed the dirty sheets myself and since the guy who brought the sheets had rudely left already, the dirty sheets had to stay in a corner of my room!!! Ridiculous.

I left the next morning. Not a word of apology.

I am still in shock that a hotel would have such poor customer service. Unreal.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Viggs74
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, April 29, 2009
Dear Viggs74 from New York!

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel look, décor and music – the Aloft brand has taken great measures to give you an experience unlike any other hotel in its class.

I am very sorry that you had a concern with the hotel and we failed to deliver your requested items in the time and in the manner that we should have. I will personally handle an investigation of the housekeeping item and the customer service surrounding your stay. This will never happen again.

Again, please except my sincerest apologies. I believe William Chang, our Operations Manager, had informed you during his phone call to you that he has already started this investigation. I am 100% confident that we will have all talent staff on board by your next visit.

Milan Patnaik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling
Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!