“Appallingly Bad Service Ruins Stay”

Aloft Dulles Airport North
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rochester, NY
“Appallingly Bad Service Ruins Stay”
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I would have loved to write a great review about how cool the hotel was and how awesome the 42 inch LCD in the room was but the service absolutely killed my families stay.

My wife and our two young kids (ages 2 and 9 months) stayed there last Saturday night on the way back from Myrtle Beach. Besides the fact that the air conditioning didn't seem to be working in the main lobby (it was a record breaking 92 degrees that day), everything in the hotel seemed great. The room was modern and good sized. The TV was terrific. Everything was going good until we tried to go to sleep.

At 10:05 pm, I pulled the comforter off the bed and discovered a DIRTY TISSUE in the sheets!!!! I called the front desk and told them about the issue. I was told they would send someone up to replace the sheets immediately. I can't figure out how the dirty tissue could have gotten there. Either the sheets never got changed or housekeeping left me a present.

By 10:35, nobody had come to our room. The kids were about to lose it as they were so tired. My wife calls the front desk again, and the person who answered the phone had NO IDEA WHAT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT!!!! Our first call was completely ignored!!!
He told my wife he'll send someone up right now.

10 minutes later, someone from the front desk knocks on our door. We let him in and he says "Here are the sheets, where would you like me to put them?". My wife looks at him confused and responds "On the bed?....." You would think he would make the bed for us right, especially when both my wife and I had a half asleep crying kids in our arms?

"I don't have any housekeeping experience, but I can send the shuttle driver up once he gets back". What the? This guy doesn't know how to make a bed? How much longer were we supposed to wait until the shuttle driver got back?

So my wife says, "You got to [--] kidding me? Our bed has a DIRTY TISSUE in it, we wait almost 40 minutes for someone to come up here, and then we have to make our own bed?!!!!!"

At this, the guy looks at me with an incredulous look like it was beneath him to make the bed and that he was utterly insulted that we actually requested that he make it. He walked right out of our room without saying another word!!!!!

At that point, with the kids a mess, I just changed the dirty sheets myself and since the guy who brought the sheets had rudely left already, the dirty sheets had to stay in a corner of my room!!! Ridiculous.

I left the next morning. Not a word of apology.

I am still in shock that a hotel would have such poor customer service. Unreal.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Viggs74
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, April 29, 2009
Dear Viggs74 from New York!

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel look, décor and music – the Aloft brand has taken great measures to give you an experience unlike any other hotel in its class.

I am very sorry that you had a concern with the hotel and we failed to deliver your requested items in the time and in the manner that we should have. I will personally handle an investigation of the housekeeping item and the customer service surrounding your stay. This will never happen again.

Again, please except my sincerest apologies. I believe William Chang, our Operations Manager, had informed you during his phone call to you that he has already started this investigation. I am 100% confident that we will have all talent staff on board by your next visit.

Milan Patnaik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
Honolulu
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This is a new hotel group in the Starwood collection as well as in Virginia. I had read a lot of good reviews on on this website and thought I would try it out since there are no Aloft Hotels in Hawaii.

The hotel is new, very clean and layed out nicely. The front desk was nice. The recognized my SPG status but did not offer any Platinum amenities. I totally forgot to ask them about that, but I was too busy just checking out the layout of the hotel during the check-in process. I will ask them about it before I checkout since I try to get as many SPG points as possible.

The rooms are simple. Just a bed with a large TV attached to the wall. All rooms are pretty much the same. There is a desk where you can hook up your computer and enjoy free Internet access during your stay. Other than those things, there is nothing else in the bedroom area. The bath area consisted of a very small area to hang a few items of clothes. No separate closet to speak of. There is a small sink area that is separate from the rest of the bath area. They only have showers.

The lobby is nicely decorated with a W feel but much cheaper furniture. The bar is nice, there are three TVs right above the bar area and the drinks are good and cheap!

Just to the left of the bar is a pool table that I believe is free? While i was at the bar there were a group of people shooting pool. There is also plenty of sitting areas in the lobby.

There is a small area where you can purchased ready made food. They had salads and wraps readily available. The food was good and priced right.

The gym was small, but adequate. I used it and had a good workout. There are built in TVs on most of the machines and you can also plug in your Ipod.

There is also an indoor pool but i did not use it.

They have a driver that can pick you up from the airport. I would call in advacne just to make sure. I had a car and parked in the convenient parking area that surrounds the entire hotel.

The hotel is not very big, less than 150 rooms. There is also a Hilton Garden Inn next door and I believe they have a restaurant.

The only thing I did not like was the location as there is nothing in the immediate area with the exception of a gas station.

Overall, it is a great place to stay for a day or two. Not a vacation destination. Good hotel and very reasonable prices!

UPDATE: 4/13/2009

After staying at another Aloft Hotel (Washington National Harbor) I decided to stay here again...

I very much enjoyed my stay and thought the people that worked their were very friendly.

When I checked in, the person at the Aloha Desk was pretty busy handling a few check-ins as well as an issue with some one on the phone and one customer that had a thousand questions. He handled everything in stride.

It was a Friday night so it was nice to see the hotel lobby area was festive and even had a resident DJ. The DJ even played a few songs on my friends Ipod! That was cool.

I had no problems with the room and made sure I brought my Ipod and computer connection cords so that I could play music on the television. Way cool!

Made use of the gym the following morning and finally figured out the Ipod connection and was going to use the pool but it felt kind of humid in there?

When I checked out, the Aloha Desk receptionist asked me if I could recommend anything as far as improvements, but I could not think of anything right away. The hotel is not a full service hotel, which is also why the price of the hotel is really cheap. I guess the only thing I would recommend would be ice buckets and glasses in the room? Another suggestion would be Aloha Shirts for the staff since most of them seemed to wear regular street clothes which I thought was a bit tacky.

Overall, this is a great hotel and I am sure you will enjoy it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank DaKine1
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, April 27, 2009
Aloha DaKine1 from Honolulu!

Thank you for your detailed response on Trip Advisor, we always appreciate the feedback to make our hotel the best it can be and to deliver superior service.

As with all of the Aloft’s, there are not too many perks for SPG members other than the points you receive for staying with us. We do a however place you on our highest floors and conduct a special pre-SPG inspection of the room to ensure the best quality during your stay. Since all of our rooms are identical with the exception of 1 king bed or 2 queen beds, upgrades are not available.
I am very happy that you enjoyed our beverage and food selection at the W xyz lounge. It truly is the talk of the Dulles-Ashburn area! I am also very pleased that you enjoyed the all day dining grab and go salads and sandwiches as well. We do have a complimentary pool table in our remix lobby for anyone to use.

It is truly cool that our resident DIVA DJ played a few tunes from your iPod. You can also play your iPod on our state of the art fitness facility – recharge.

Thanks again for staying with us, we’ll see you next time your Washington-Dulles area.

Mid-Michigan
Reviewed April 10, 2009

Great place, great staff, great room - all nonsmoking and pets allowed. Aloft is now my favorite chain!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank LadyMichigander
Aloha Michigander from Mid-Michigan!

The Aloft Dulles Airport hotel is truly a pet-friendly hotel. We even have a set of bowls filled with water and doggie treats as you enter our hotel for those pets that have had a long travel. The Aloft Brand has a pet-friendly program called A.R.F (Animals R Fun!). This entitles the pet their very own bowls, treats, and even the ARF version of our Rest and Relax bed. To top it all off, we don’t even charge a pet fee like some of our other hotels do.

Thanks for staying with us, and we’ll see you and your pet again!

etbagger05
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We had excellent customer service and housekeeping. the place was neat, very chic and somehow still appealed to my kids (4 ages 6-15) as well as me and my husband.
the location was great we were appx 30 min to DC and everything was very accessible.
i will book this hotel again and again. we can't wait for one to open up in the ATL area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank etbagger05
Aloha etbagger05!

I am so happy that you and your family enjoyed the Aloft Dulles Airport hotel. We are truly a kid-friendly hotel! I am so happy the sassy appeal spoke to not only you and your wife, but to your kids as well. We have many board games throughout our lobby i.e. Operation, Connect 4, Chess, Checkers and more.

Thanks again for choosing the Aloft brand again, we’ll see you next time you are in the Washington-Dulles Area!

Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 7, 2009

First stay in an Aloft after the chain was recommended to me by a colleague, I've been wanting to try one for a while. I got a fabulous rate of $79/night through the hotel's website (3-night minimum stay for this rate, but NOT fully prepaid, I could still have cancelled at any time).
The Aloft was an excellent change of pace for me, I am usually a Hilton gal, but do occasionally stay at the Starwood properties. I loved the modern & minimalist feel of the room (minimalist, but without being sparse). Huge wall-mounted flat screen TV, comfy bed with fluffy comforter, nice big glass-door shower stall. Complimentary bottled water and coffee in room each day.
The exercise facility is top of the line, 2 ellipticals, 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, freeweights, yoga balls, and a Nautilus-type weight machine. You can plug your iPod directly into the cardio equipment and have the iPod controls show up on its touch-screen monitor.... pretty cool! Also an indoor pool which I did not use.
The only other complimentary item is the standard-issue USA Today. They have a grab-and-go snack shop in the lobby which also serves some breakfast items in the morning, and everything costs... even the coffee. Which, by the way, was pretty dismal even by hotel standards. I suggest you find yourself a Starbucks rather than drinking the brown water they served here.
There's not much immediately around the hotel but if you drive about 5 miles in any direction, you hit lots of restaurants and shopping centers.
All in all I was really pleased! Would definitely stay here or at another Aloft in the future.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank tigerfly222
Aloha Tigerfly222 from Chicago!

I am so happy that you had an opportunity to try the Aloft Brand after staying with Hilton for such a long time. You are absolutely correct – what a wonderful change from the normal hotel stay! The 42 inch HDTV, the comfy bed and duvet, the nice oversized shower area with natural light, and state of the art fitness center (recharge) are the most modern around!

We are constantly improving our Beverage and Food offerings here at the Aloft and I am proud to announce that our menu offerings will be increased as of April 30th of this year. More items for breakfast, more light-fare at our W xyz lounge and more lunch/dinner choices.

Spain
Reviewed April 6, 2009

My first time in an Aloft hotel. The look is quite similar to the one in Nite Nite hotel chains. Modern, 42" LCD tv, great connectivity. As the previous reviewer said they greet you with Aloha, the staff is really nice and friendly and helpful.

If you want their shuttle service takes you to the airport or for instance the Air Museum. Just give them a call and they'll pick you back. The location is about 6 miles from the airport, on an underdeveloped area. There aren't any restaurants nearby at walking distance.

The pros :
LCD 42 TV with a docking station for connections (1VGA, 1 HDMI, 1 RCA, 1 Audio 6inch) .
Free shuttle service to the airport.
Nice style, friendly staff.
Good beds.
Eco and pet friendly (prefered parking space for green cars and food and water for your dogs)

The cons:
No restaurants nearby.
The internet is rather slow, not really high speed (I'd guess it's a 2mbit connection for the whole hotel).
Unconventional furniture. There are no closets and the space is strangely fitted. It's hard to place a suitcase in the storage area.
Depends on the night you hear a lot of air traffic (that's understandable since it's an airport hotel) or none.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank noimporta
Aloha Noimporta from Spain!

I am so glad you liked the hotel especially the 42" HDTV, the jack-pack to connect your PDA or ipod to our TV, our complimentary Hybrid Shuttle, our great beds, and friendly staff!

Although we do not have a restaurant on site, we do have our refuel option which is great grab and go options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our W xyz lounge also serves the best appetizers in the Dulles Area!

Thanks again for writing your review on TripAdvisor and thank you for staying with the Aloft Dulles Airport hotel!

Milan Patnaik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling
Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!