“Aloft a-go-go? A-no-no.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Aloft a-go-go? A-no-no.”
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Since my corporate universe seems to be most compatible with the Starwood hotels, I've been interested in staying at the Aloft since they opened a few months back. I finally got my chance, spouse and kids in tow on a recent trip to DC.

Upon arriving, I appreciated the edgy lobby area, although I think some aspects were a bit overdone. Overall, good marks, though on a usable public space - pool table, fireplace, decent (but limited) bar, etc. However, when I tried to use the self-check-in, I ran into the first snag; the computer wanted my credit card, but for the life of me, I couldn't find a place to insert it. After a few minutes of fruitless hunting, I asked the person at the desk for help - turns out the kiosks aren't fully up yet. No biggie (a sign would be nice). So we head for the room - turns out one of the two elevators isn't up and running yet, either (again, a sign would be nice). Still, no biggie.

The room was austere, small, but decent (think Ikea meets youth hostel). It had the typical wall-wart air conditioner that I always fear will keep me awake all night, but surprisingly, this one wasn't too bad. Internet connectivity was good, as was the TV (note: you can hook your laptop in, but bring a 15' DB-15 or HDMI if you want to lay in bed as the connection box is hardwired to the desk, which isn't very useful considering the wall-mounted TV isn't on a swivel). Not much to comment about regarding the beds or the decor - pretty typcial for this type of hotel. There were a few pseudo-edgy magazines in the room (think Wired), which was a nice touch. The shower was a decent size, however, as others have noted, lack of a simple plastic strip down the edge of the glass door results in significant water poolage outside the door. Shampoo and body gel are provided via bulk dispensers in the shower, which is probably pretty cost-effective (for those not creeped out by this). One other shortcoming that I noticed is the lack of independent light switches. I know - sounds like a small beef, but there's really no way to turn just one small bathroom light on for the night. Another more significant shortcoming is the lack of sound dampening between the rooms. Turns out the folks in the next room were a bit randy and up for some evening activity (I was regretting that the air conditioner wasn't louder at this point). Again, not a huge deal, but in any hotel constructed in the last decade, this shouldn't be an issue.

I did run into another small snag when the coffee maker caught fire in the morning (no exaggeration - flames, smoke, and everything). The room turned pretty acrid, so we decided to make a hasty exit - stage left. I expressed the concern over the coffee maker to the desk staff, and once they realized the gravity of the situation (ummm...not like a little smoke - think molten plastic), they were very apologetic and offered a few complimentary breakfast items.

Speaking of the breakfast items - I was a bit disappointed with the selection. They had an eclectic mix - yogurt, Perrier, fresh fruit, boxed cereal, and heat-and-eat sandwiches, but all at (IMHO) slightly high a-la-carte pricing.

Although the Ashburn area is (was?) growing, there's not much around the hotel. It is very convenient to the Dulles Toll Road (aka Greenway at this exit). However, despite the W-style vibe, I couldn't help feeling that this was the happy medium between a rave and a corn field. Or, maybe I'm just getting too old to stay at these sorts of places, and I'm just not ready to admit that I should just crawl back to the Westins closer to town (which are surprisingly not that much more in price).

Overall, not a terrible experience. I know some of these issues are start-up pains, but I think the Hyatt Place offers a similar, but more polished, stay. Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank UTexasFan
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, March 6, 2009
aloha UTEXASFAN from RDU!

I am so happy that you loved the look and feel of the hotel, in particular the pool table, fireplace, and W xyz bar. I understand how frustrated you must have been while trying to use the self-check-in kiosks some time these high tech gadgets are a bit complicated. I myself assisted about 10 guests that were checking in last night via the kiosk we term as the touch-n-go. Once they got the hang of it, it was easy breezy!

Yes, we have been experiencing some slight glitches with the elevator call button for our service elevator, but our guest elevators are working a-ok! Even before your review we have had our elevator technicians service the elevator call buttons and are working at 100% level.

I am also very pleased that you like the décor of the room as well as the high-tech gadgets we have installed including the jack pack – PDA plug-n-play, cordless telephones, and the 42” HDTV.

After reading this tripadvisor review, I have tried to investigate the coffee maker that was burned, however I could not find a record of this. I will still be on the lookout for this crisped coffee creator and will alert any findings to the aloft brand, the Starwood team and manufactures of this type of coffee maker.

The aloft Dulles North hotel is located about 5 miles away from IAD (Washington Dulles International Airport) and is just minutes away from the Dulles Town Center mall, Leesburg Premium Outlets, the new Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, as well as 20 golf courses and 30 wine vineyards.

We hope to see you again, for specials and packages please visit us at www.aloftdulles.com or call us at 703-723 6969 for reservations.

Thanks again for your comment,

Milan Patnaik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2009

I stayed at this hotel twice, once on Fri and then again on Sunday. Both times I was pleased with my choice. The hotel has a funky vibe and is very colourful! The room was very comfortable and the shower was good - although on my second stay I was on the 5th floor and could not get the shower really hot! My only other comment wa both times I had an issue witht he heating - the fan is quite noisy and kept me awake on and off on the first night. I just could not get the temperature correct either - it was either too hot or too cold.

That said - I would definately stay here again at the right rate - it was close to Dulles and the staff were really friendly.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank aks120LasVegas
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, February 26, 2009
aloha aks120 from Las Vegas!

Thank you so much for both of your recent stays at our brand new aloft Dulles North hotel and lounge. It means so much to us that you chose us a second time.

Please be assured that our re:pair department have been deployed to all of our guest rooms to ensure hot water temperatures are at optimal levels as well as the heating units are nice and quiet.

I really appreciate the feedback you gave us, it is with the feedback of our guests that we can alter our procedures here and ensure all of our guests have an a+ experience with us.

Thanks again,
az
Reviewed February 12, 2009

Perfect business hotel at a great price. Rooms are comfortable with a clear dedication to usability and style.

• Liked — style
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank erickasc
aloha erick from az!

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write such a nice response on TripAdvisor. With all of our busy schedules, I do appreciate you taking the time out for us.

Our european style lofts and spacious design of our re:mix lobby and W xyz bar are becoming a real hit with business travelers like yourself.

Again, thank you for your generous comments.

san jose
Reviewed January 29, 2009

I started my day at 4:00am on Wednesday and was on my way to mexico for a business trip, when my plane got cancelled in dulles international airport. I was upset because I was tired and was not expecting this, but due to the weather conditions I was stuck. I was lucky enough to get a hotel room through airport accomodations to aloft, a hotel I have never stayed in before. The shuttle was right there when i got out and he was a nice gentleman that greeted me with a "aloha". We had great converstions on our way there. As I got into the hotel I was very pleased. There was a young asian girl at the desk that checked me in and she told me all about the hotel, and was kind enough to reserve a cab for me for the next day. She was sweet as can be and very friendly. I was really impressed with the way the lobby of the hotel looked. It was colorfull with loud music. Looked like a lounge to me. I headed to my room and it was very comfortable. I loved the bar, the bartender was very nice and gave me exactly what i wanted right away. The best thing about this place was the bar and pool table, not like your typical hotel, something different and I enjoyed the experience. If Im ever in the area I would deff return and tell my friends. Very friendly staff, from the shuttle driver, to the receptionist and bartender. everyone had a smile on their face which showed me that they loved their job and loved being there. Great Job!!!

• Liked — The Bar and the Staff
  • Disliked — The location
3 Thank tug59
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, February 9, 2009
aloha tug59 from San Jose!

I am very pleased to hear that your most recent stay with us was successful. At the aloft Dulles North hotel and lounge we understand that traveling now a days can be a very unpleasant experience. We also understand that when you first experience the aloft hotel, it is the first chance for you to regain control of your own travel expectations.

I am also very excited that our Chevy Tahoe Hybrid aloft shuttle was waiting for you promptly at Washington Dulles Airport so we could expedite your travels to our tech savvy and design oriented hotel.

We hope to see you again the next time you are traveling to the Washington-Dulles area.

San Francisco
Reviewed January 23, 2009

People at aloft Dulles North are wonderful!!! I booked my hotel there for three nights, only to find out the business trip was cancelled the next day! Normally there's a cancellation policy, but the folks there understood my situation and gladly refunded my money with no additional fee. Especially with the bad economy, it meant so much to me that they would do this.

THANK YOU MO & WILLIAM CHANG!!!!

Definitely, the next hotel I'm staying in will be aloft Dulles North. Beautiful place and amazing hospitality.

• Liked — The People
  • Disliked — n/a
2 Thank juqchen
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, February 10, 2009
aloha juqchen from San Francisco!

I am so very happy that we were able to accommodate your request by cancelling your reservation without charging you a fee. At the aloft Dulles North, we understand our current economic situation, and realize that by "wow"ing you in service we would capture your continued support through the years. This is much more important than charging you for one night and possibly discouraging you from staying with us the next time you are in our area.

There are over 15 different packages to choose from depending on your pallet or mood. We are definately looking forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Maryland
Reviewed January 22, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised by the warm ALOHA welcome upon my arrival and the refreshing look of the lobby interior. It is not often that you walk into a hotel that has such a personable aura to itself. The new age, clean cut design seems to shout out to the young business executive and its shiek and happy go lucky attitude easily entices group travellers to relax and unwind in the hotel's public space, rather than in the confines of their rooms. I particularly fancied the pool table as well as a bar area that extends seating througout the lobby floor, as it indeed recharges the senses for a night's transit in dulles, which at times can be very DULL-es. I also enjoyed the high ceiling rooms..! Shuttle to and from the airport is also a great service to have in handy.

Thumbs up for aloft dulles! i hope to check out other aloft hotels across the nation in the near future!

2 Thank kboos
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, February 4, 2009
aloha kboos from Maryland!

I am so very excited that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the new aloft Dulles North hotel - a vision of W Hotels. You are absolutely correct - the design of our re:mix lobby consists of vibrant colors, an attractive W xyz bar and a very sassy pool table. At the aloft - all of the walls have been knocked down creating open spaces and the freedom to mix and mingle.

Thanks again for staying at our new hotel located just minutes from Washington Dulles Airport - the new tWist in travel!

MD
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I know this is an unfortunate and negative comment but since it is purely true, it is definitely not slander. My husband and I stayed at the hotel 2 weeks ago and were hoping for a wonderful trip. I was there for a conference for my college doctorate and the issues started the first night! We paid our nights through expedia and had our confirmation at checkin. They couldn't find our reservation. Then that night we see a mysterious charge of 386.00 posted to our bank account. We had no idea what the charge was and we were told all hotels put a hold on a card in case of incidentals, this is NOT true, don't be fooled. We had paid for our stay the only thing we should be charged is for incidentals and we had none. The next day a new charge, this time 380.00, the next day we left, we had had it, their manager was nowhere to be found, corporate didn't even know his name, our bank account had been emptied and no one had any answers or helped!!! This is stealing!! We gave no authorization to be charged almost 1,000.00 for fun? The employee admitted to the mistake but said it would come off that day. We are now almost a week and a half later and these charges have set off a slew of overdrafts, returned checks, cancelling of accounts, etc. We tried to resolve this the first night, but nothing was done, again the 2nd night all night on the phone, again nothing. I had to get out of there, for as beautiful as it was, I had no idea that someone could commit a crime and feel they weren't responsible even though they admitted to being at fault. We left 2 nights early, weren't refunded for that fee either. Instead of having to refund us just one charge of 386.00, they refused to resolve it so we are now two weeks in and over 2,800.00 in charges have arisen from all of the chargebacks and overdrafts from the bills we had knowingly written checks for. We did it because we had the money, until they stole it!! It has been the worst two weeks of our lives trying to resolve this. My husband and I are honest teachers and just want OUR money back!!!!!!!! That is all, what is ours and the fees they cost us which they could have avoided!!! The bank has written them stating they are at fault, their corporate office says they owe us everything and they still say, they only owe us about half and still haven't even paid that. We had to cancel our bank account, file claims with our bank, call about 40 people, contact the hotel everyday and by the way they don't answer the phones and their manager must always be on vacation because when we need him, he is mysteriously not working or cannot be reached. Even expedia contacted them to get them to pay and they told them it had also happened to others that first day. Was that the reason we were the only car in the parking lot. It really is a shame it came to this, I feel we are being so reasonable, many would have called the cops the first night. In fact, at my conference there were many professors stating I should have called the authorities immediately. I guess as a teacher who believes there is good in people, I thought they would come to their senses and make it easy on all of us, but I guess not. They have to realize that by taking this to court, it will cause these fees to continue to rise each day and they will end up paying us double? How is that helping their hotel? Be careful with your bankcards and constantly check your bank statements.I have never dealt with any company so incompetent and when their corporate offices statement to resolve this is "we probably need to better train our employees and managers" you know there is something wrong there. The rest of the staff was wonderful and we have no issues with them, but the managers and "M#" an employee who took our card ( I am being nice by not mentioning names" well they probably would not have a job if they were at any other company. They are dodging our emails, calls, and they have to know by doing this they are just going to be served with a summons to court and well you can't dodge that now can you? Hopefully, someone will come to their senses and pay up ASAP, or this will end unhappy for everyone which is a shame since we gave them more than ample time to fix this issue. This is not a fake story or slander as we have proof that this occured in writing. I do not like to hurt people or businesses and it is killing me to the point I am crying every night. We work hard and that money is about a month's worth of work for us. How do you tell your mortgage and car company you can't pay them because the hotel you were staying in stole the money you had set aside for that payment. The companies want their money and we are already about to now lose our house and car. Also, my college's registration check also was returned and now my school account is on hold and I will receive an incomplete for the conference (residency), that costs 900.00 so that will now be added. It is a shame that good people have to be hurt like this.
From: The couple who just wants their money back including the fees due so when I go in for surgery next week I have a peace of mind.

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank ellegirl79
mpatnaik, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, January 26, 2009
aloha ellegirl79,

The purpose of this response it to convey my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced during your most recent stay and with respect to funds authorized on your debit card.

As stated in our numerous talks and email communications with you and your husband, all charges from the hotel were credited back to your account and we agreed on paying the overdraft fees you incurred as well.

Let me assure you that what happened in your case is not typical of the aloft’s guest service. We continue to be committed to providing you and all of our guests with the highest of standards of service in the industry. Because of your direct feedback, we have completed an extensive training of this exact concern with our entire aloft talent team.

We hope and pray your surgery goes well. We would like to have you back to our hotel for a three day weekend at no charge so you can relax and reinvigorate after your hospital stay. Further, you will be given a voucher of $100 to use toward incidentals food, movies, and our W xyz bar.

Milan Patnaik

Travelers are raving about these Ashburn hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling
Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!