“Trendy hotel with most everything you need (because there is nothing around)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft Dulles Airport North

Aloft Dulles Airport North
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
“Trendy hotel with most everything you need (because there is nothing around)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

To be 100% honest I didn't leave my room because this stay was for business and I had work to do, but the hotel was great. Very trendy lobby with a pool table. I've heard the gym and pool are great. The room comes with a mini fridge, iron, ironing board, blow-drier, coffee-maker, and complementary hookups for your devices to the flat screen TV. I had two desks and a very comfortable bed, but I couldn't seem to get the air-conditioner to reach a comfortable climate. Wi-Fi was fast enough to stream videos off Netflix. There is a place to buy food in the lobby, and also a gas station convenience store directly outside of the hotel. But the bathroom door is just a sliding mirror, and the shower has a translucent glass panel that looks into the main part of the room, so if you need 100% privacy in the bathroom it might be an issue.

Room Tip: The first floor can get a little noisy because the parking is directly next to the building, also, t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, July 28, 2014

Ralph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Good place for quick overnight trip. We've stayed there several times before flights on he park & fly packages with mostly acceptable results.

In February 14, 2014, after multiple previous trips and was highly disappointed. I was told that I had to park in the back (for the park & fly package), which was completely fine. The sidewalks were icy and none of the ramps were cleared; there was no way to get a suitcase or anything else from the parking lot onto the sidewalk. We had to trudge through snow and icy patches just to get to the sidewalk. There wasn't any treatment on the sidewalks either to cover the icy patches.

I asked the front desk person and was told that maintenance would be there shortly to clear. Attached are my photos from my experience. Needless to say, no one did anything further to assist or ensure conditions were safe.

The sidewalks were never cleared and we struggled, slipped and have a very difficult time entering and exiting the hotel. I understand the need to have park & fly guest park in the back; however the sidewalks and sidewalks need to be cleared.

The room was functional: good king size bed with decent pillows. A long bench ran across the front of the room to rest carry-ons, sit on, leave clothes out for the next morning, etc. A roomy desk with a phone (not beside the bed) so one has to get out of bed for the walk up call. The bathroom is interesting: sink outside (good for 2 people to get ready at the same time), odd "door" that slides to close the toilet and shower away from the sink.

I hope they address the poor sidewalks and icy situations so we can feel comfortable staying here in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Ralph
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

my name is Sam I stay Aloft Dulles Airport North
Ashburn, VA
June 2014 for one week i'm so happy they have a good management and good service and all the rooms clean also they have a good customer service only think I like everybody work that hotel They so friendly Thank you for everything

• Stayed June 2014
      Location
1 Thank Hamed M

Broadstairs, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Fairly new hotel in an isolated location, obviously built to serve the airport. Lobby was large and airy with lots of comfy seats. Bar only opens at 5pm. Little choice of food except from a vending machine. Room was a good size with a comfy bed and we slept well. Bathroom door was big and noisy and didn't really close properly. Not a destination hotel but the price was reasonable and if you know what your'e getting it meets your needs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, July 16, 2014

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We were stranded in Dulles overnight and chose this property. It was a big mistake! I am a Starwood Preferred Guest and usually like Starwood properties, but this one is a shame to the name.

We arrived at the hotel to find a nice room awaiting us. Just one problem - there was no hand or bath soap in the entire facility. In addition, since this is an airport hotel, you would think that they would have a good selection of late night snacks in the lobby to choose from, but the only things to find were junk food (chips, candy bars). Though they advertise sandwiches and salads, none were there.

There are NO restaurants nearby within walking distance. So if you take the airport shuttle, you have to eat at the hotel - if they have food.

Finally, the service here was very poor for a Starwood property. My guess is that Aloft is Starwood's low-end option, and it shows!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank TravelALot62_9
Dear Guest,

Travelers are raving about these Ashburn hotels

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This is a very fine Aloft hotel. I stay here frequently. The staff is excellent, friendly and efficient.

The front desk is well run. Amanda and Victor in particular is the excellent.

The WXYZ is a fine place for a hotel bar. it can get very crowded during the week and although the service might get slow at times, the staff are always take their time to make sure customers are happy and never seem in rush.
They welcome their SPG members with welcome bag that includes a warm welcome note from their Director Of Operations along with the breakfast coupon and some goodies ! (very nice touch)

everyone from the houseman to the bartender and the housekeeping staff are pleasant and willing to help.

I rarely write any reviews but I over heard the Front Desk discussing some unfavorable reviews they have received recently and while they seemed disappointed, as a frequent traveler, I know that every hotel has some bad days and I don't think it is fair to undermine all the effort the aloft puts to make their guest happy for couple bad experiences.

I personally have never been disappointed by this hotel and though errors accrue, the management is very quick to respond and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your business. We are glad we exceeded your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,
Wiesbaden, New York, Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

As SPG member I like to explore various SPG brands and properties, and I was really excited about staying at an ALOFT for the very first time.
I've heard a lot of good things about it, and expected something like a no-frill, downscaled W style hotel. After all: ALOFT is a vision of W Hotels...

My whole stay was PACKED with negative experiences. I understand, that the deficiencies I describe below may be a single occurrence and never happen again, but unfortunately they happened.

I arrived on a Sunday around 2:15pm. The receptionist did not care about name or reservation number, she just asked whether I've reserved a room with a king sized or queen size bed. I answered that my reservation is for a room with king size bed, and I would like to have a king size bed. She replied that no rooms with king size beds are available and check-in time is at 3:00 pm. I said that I will wait for a room and "parked" myself in the lobby.

About 10 mins later another gentlemen arrived, who also wanted a room with a king size bed, and he was told that he would need to wait, and that I'd get the next room. He took a seat in the lobby as well.

Around 3:10 second lady arrived at the front desk, and asked the other man if he was waiting for a the airport shuttle. He said that he was waiting for a room with a king size bed; she then called housekeeping, got confirmation that a room was available and checked him in.

I went to the front desk, asked that I would like to check in and got told that still no room with a king sized bed is available. And for my question why the other gentlemen got a room, I've received an incredibly stupid reply, which I don't even want to repeat here! Housekeeping was called again, and after another 10 mins I've got finally a room.

Beside the fact that I had to wait about an hour (I totally understand check-in time constraints etc), a hotel like the ALOFT is built in a way, that rooms can be cleaned within a minimum timeframe. Since nobody checked out during my wait, they could have gotten a few rooms ready within the hour... esp. since they knew that there is a guest waiting for a room... Anyhow....

I went to the room: First impression: The sheets looked like they had been used before and the water in the toilet was running. I've noticed the front desk about the running water and got the feedback that their technician is currently busy and would stop by in about 20 minutes.

According to the ALOFT website, they have wired and wifi internet available in the guest rooms. The wired internet feature was one of the reasons, why I've chosen the hotel, as I'm not a friend of insecure WiFi connections. Anyhow - no ethernet cable. I've asked the lady at the front desk about wired internet connection. Beside the fact that she had absolutely no clue what the difference between wired and wireless internet access is (neither about the other features in the room), we found out that this hotel does not have wired internet access in the rooms. A second look at the website and the room revealed the fine print: Not all features are available in all rooms! Well, I guess I can call myself lucky that my room had the "TV", "air condition" and even the "king size bed" feature...

In the meantime the running water in the toilet had been fixed. Speaking of water: The hotel provides free water bottles in the room. I guess there was not enough time during clean-up to refill the bottles, as my room did provide the "free bottled water" feature. Around 9pm I went down to the front desk and asked for a bottle of water. A friendly lady promised me to have some bottles delivered to my room asap. Around one hour later, i still had no water. I could have called the front desk again, or walked over to the gas station and buy some water, but I've decided to drink tap water that night. When removing the top sheet of the bed, I could peek at the duvet. There where yellow-brown stains on it, and it looked like someone tried to enjoy a cup of coffee in bed... well, I hope that it had been coffee stains...

I had booked myself into this hotel for a whole week. Usually, when staying multiple nights, I take advantage of the "green choice" feature, where the room is bot being cleaned and I receive some extra points or some cash towards purchases eg for food in the hotel. Since the sheets seemed to be dirty, no water, etc., I've decided to have the room cleaned up on Monday. And what a surprise when I've returned to the room in the evening: The room was NOT made. It was in the same state I left it in the morning. I went down to the front desk and asked for an explanation...and for water! The water I was able to take right with me...the explanation: I guess I was participating in their Involuntary Green Choice Program. A program, so exclusive and made only available to their most special guests. After all, the hotel does not safe only time and money on NOT making the room, they also safe money on NOT giving out the green choice amenity.

Tuesday evening the room was made. Unfortunately my room keys did not work that evening anymore, resulting in another trip down to the front desk for a set of replacement keys.

One night I went to the wxyz bar in the hotel and had drink. While sitting at he bar, a couple came to the bar they've ordered two "Black Russian" drinks. Unfortunately, the poor bartender was only able to serve ONE "Black Russian", due to the fact that he had only one serving of Kahlua left in the bottle. A hotel bar is running out of alcohol? That was a first for me, making me wonder, who's doing there procurement and order management... But it does not surprise me, if they cannot manage the bottled water supply, why would they care about a bottle of Kahlua...

Well, beside all the mediocrity, there was ONE positive thing to mention: The woman who managed/prepared the breakfast every morning. She was always friendly to everybody and always had a smile on her face... and that at 6 am in the morning. For me, she was the pearl of the crew!

ALOFT - a vision of W hotels. What is their vision? Annoying customers to the max? or being so incredibly bad, to make guests return the SPG premium brands? I don't know... and honestly, I don't want to find out!

PS: Of course the front desk screwed up during check out again: I've requested a credit for my green choice vouchers (the ones I've voluntarily earned)... As of now (09JUL), I'm still waiting to be credited back...

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank SirMikey
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. I'm glad we finally had the chance to speak and after you posted your review.I can again assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport
Comfort Suites Dulles Airport
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!