“Double booking rooms.....” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Double booking rooms.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have stayed here multiple times over the past few years In general you know what kind of room you are getting with an Aloft. They are generally all the same with good standard amenities. Over the past few years they have even improved their pillows which left something to be desired but now are great. Their bar staff is friendly, but in recent months they have scaled back their menu and left the bartenders to do the cooking, which has both slowed down bar service and reduced the quality of the food and available options. Yesterday more than half the menu was out so they were sending guests next door to the Hilton Garden Inn which is across the parking lot (Ok I get it there was a snowstorm the night before.) My gripe with the hotel has to do with my last 2 visits there. On my last visit back in October, I was given a room that it was obvious either someone had just vacated or was still in. I didn't stick around to find out. I opened the door to see someone elses belongings, the smell of someone who had just gotten out of the shower and wet towels on the floor. I went to the front desk they prompty reassigned me to another room. I went with every now and then these things must happen it was just an accident. However Last night at 10:30, while we were sound asleep, we awoke to someone trying to get into our room because per the registration desk the system had showed that it was vacant and clean. One time its a mistake now two times, to me there is a problem internally at the hotel. The front desk clerk then called 20 minutes later to find out who I was and why I was in this mans room. While this does appear to be a internal hotel issue, I would strongly advise anyone staying here to lock up their valuables and double lock the door at night. Needless to say it was somewhat of a sleepless night, as having someone else walk into your hotel room when you are sound asleep is much like someone breaking into your house.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Rossel79
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again at the Aloft Dulles North Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for unsatisfactory service you received. I’m sorry that our team failed to deliver the expected experience you have enjoyed in the past at our Starwood Hotels.

I have addressed your concerns with our Operations Manager and the Overnight Guest Service agent. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to speak with you personally about this and your future stays. We truly value you and appreciate your loyalty to our Starwood brands.

Once again, we are sorry to have disappointed you and look forward to making your future stay experiences delightful. Please let me know if ever I can be of any further assistance.

Ralph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Arabic first
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel, warm and friendly staff, and unique pleasing decor (if you are into modern).

The sink drained slow, shower was missing a knob making it near impossible to operate and the plumbing seemed to have issues being so new.

The price couldn't be beat for such nice accommodations but someone needs to get maintenance into checking all functions in every room.
The

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges you experience with the water handles. Our team has sinced repaired. We are happy to hear that you otherwise enjoyed your stay and look forward towards welcoming you back soon.

Creston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Had a midday stopover so looked for economical hotel with pool with airport shuttle. This hotel came up, provided good shuttle, but 1/2 hour each way. Pool was nice and clean and warm, family enjoyed a good hour there, deep end 1.5 meters. Room was nice although quite a different layout for washroom. Hotel is modern, but lacks restaurant and the nearby one has restaurant that doesn't open till evening.

Room Tip: Qiet area, inside access, lobby quite nice and relaxing in modern decor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Pros: Price was definitely right; fast wi-fi service; cool lobby/bar area

Cons: Our bathroom door was a sliding door & wouldn't close completely - we had to use the trash can to hold it somewhat shut. We didn't get maid service at all while we were out 1 day - when we got back & called about it, the person we talked to didn't seem too concerned. It was almost 7 by then, they sent up some fresh towels but we didn't even want the maid service by then.

Overall, OK stay, nothing too egregious that would stop me from ever staying there again but I'll probably try somewhere else if I stay in that area again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for your busines and for sharing your stay experience. Please accept our apologies for the challenges experienced with your stay. Our team strive daily to exceed our guests exepectations, once again we are dissappointed to hear that we did not. We would love to welcome you back for another opportunity to make your future stay better, different and more special.

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Room was comfortable and reasonably quiet. It appeared to be a fairly new facility but lacks some everyday needs like stains in the carpets not being attended to which today there are plenty of products out there that will remove almost any stain. Water pressure was good, shower was clean. Housekeeping was not consistent on resupplying items that they mention in there ad that make them different than other hotels in the area. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Overall not bad.

Room Tip: Close to the elevator you will hear the noise up and down throughout the night. Elsewhere I am sure...
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your choosing to stay with us and for sharing your stay experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed here this past week, and had a good experience. The front desk staff is very accomodating, and tries to provide a high level of customer service. I am an SPG platinum member, and try to stay at various properties within the brand. The location is great, it's not far from Herndon, Ashburn and Dulles. It was pretty clean, which is a must for me. I have 2 complaints..1) NO COFFEE CREAMER..that's silly not to have coffee creamer..so I left and went to Starbucks 2) THE TOILET PAPER IS worse than newspaper. I'm going to travel with my own next time! The Aloft needs to step it up a bit in those areas, but otherwise its fine.

• 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your business and for sharing your stay experience. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our friendly and accommodating staff. Our hotel has a great location and we are glad your Platinum SPG status was acknowledge. Our toiliet paper is that which the Starwood brand recommends, we are sorry to hear that it was not suitable for you.

Once again we appreciate you and your business. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Flight was cancelled, so needed to stay close to Dulles. Nothing is ever perfect, but what sets this hotel apart is customer service!! This staff caters to its guest. I was greeted by Feri, was very professional. Little did I know it was her first day. She was being trained by Amanda who seamlessly multitasked without missing a beat. Amanda made me feel as if I was their most important guest. The staff is just happy! For a weary traveler that missed his flight, it made all the difference.
Great Job Aloft Dulles North!!!

• 5 of 5 stars
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for your business and we appreciate your comments. We agree that our service levels are consistent as we strive to exceed every guest expectations.

We are looking forward towards welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport
Comfort Suites Dulles Airport
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
SpringHill Suites Dulles Airport

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!