“Nice, modern hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, Virginia
“Nice, modern hotel”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here one night. We did not know what to expect as we normally stay at Marriott properties and won this on priceline. It was a fun and interesting hotel experience. The check-in went smoothly and the front desk staff is very good. However, we arrived on a Friday night about 10 PM and it was so loud in the lobby/check-in due to the music and dancing going on that I could not hear the desk clerk much. I pretty much had to read his lips to catch what he was saying. I requested a quiet room and he obliged.

The room was very sleek and modern. The bed was comfortable. However, there were a few things that I did not care for: first, there was no bar soap for the sink or shower. There were two dispensers of liquid soap and shampoo inside the shower but nothing for the sink to use to wash your hands or face. Personally, I do not like the dispenser idea for a hotel. I prefer individualized portions. It just seems more sanitary than a communal soap/shampoo dispenser. That was odd to me and I thought they need to have some type of soap available at the sink. The other thing I did not care for was the visibility within the room to another room. I opened our shades in the morning as we were dressing and I could clearly see directly into another room of guests and they could look into our room. Of course, I pulled the shade back down since we were dressing but that seemed to be a bad design. Guests should not be able to peer into other guest rooms.

One other thing: it was noisy. Now we were there on a Friday night so it may not always be so loud, but there was a lot of hall noise that was carried into our room. We cranked up the air so as to give us some white noise in an attempt to drown out the noise, but it was very noisy.

It sounds all bad but the room was clean (my most important quality in a room), it was updated and modern looking and feeling, it was plenty roomy enough for the 2 of us, the staff was nice and accommodating, the coffee in the lobby was good the next morning. There were just a few of those things I mentioned above that made it less than it could have been.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your visit and for sharing your guest experience. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our amazing service and our hotel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Walls are paper thin. One can hear--ALL bodily functions through the walls. I don't know if manager can find you a less connected room--if so ask for it.

I did like the modern architecture and actually found beds comfortable--if only I had been able to sleep from inter-room noise. Rooms, however are not particularly clean and show effects of a high-traffic hotel hotel.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear of your stay experience. We strive to not only meet our guest expectations, but with exceeding them.

We want to welcome you back, and will assure that your room is located in our recluse location. We are improving everyday, and we are committed to making your future stay delightful.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 11, 2013

After reading the reviews, I'm surprised about what I read. This place was really comfortable. It's about a 15-20 minute drive away from Dulles Airport, and there isn't anything near the hotel. I ended up eating at the hotel, and the food was really good.

Customer service was amazing. Every time I walked by the front desk, the guy greeted me by my name. And when I was ordering food at the bar, they were very friendly. The shuttle from the airport was comfortable, and I was offered a bottle of water that was nice.

The rooms are standard for Aloft hotels, so it was what I expected.

Aside from the location, which I don't like, I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted you choose to stay with us and enjoyed our great customer service. We would agree that we have a nice hotel, that offers a comfortable night's sleep, update, clean and with exceptiona food and beverage services.

Thank you once again for your business and feedback, we are looking forward towards welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The room I was in had a pest problem that I discovered upon my checkout. When I notified the front desk they didn't seem particularly worried, as though this were a common occurrence. The rooms are sparse and the bed was quite firm and not comfortable. The pool was a nice distraction although keeping it stocked with towels is apparently not a priority. The general decor of the hotel's interior is very worn from use and you can tell that not much care is given to upkeep. The front desk was generally helpful however and the hot breakfast was a nice surprise with several good options. Free parking is a nice benefit and close to the toll road nearby. Not much in the nearby area, although there are several restaurants a ten minute drive from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your valuable feedback. Please accept my apologies for the many inconveniences of your stay. This is not a true reflection of our Aloft team and Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We strive to exceed each guest expectations. I have shared your concerns with our Talent leaders.

We would love to welcoming you back, so that we can deliver the experience you and our team are accustom to.

Best regards
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Very hard to find according to hotel website 10minutes from Dulles Airport not true. It took us almost 30min ride plus waited for the hotel shuttle for at least 40 minutes. WHAT A NIGHTMARE EXPIRIENCE !!! The lobby is modern with cheap style furnitures totally different from other hotel and not even close to W hotel. We waited 10 minutes at the desk before someone show up to check us in from smoke break. The hallway on the 5th floor is dirty and the elevator needs to be mop some air fresher. Our room was decent size but no bathroom door and the mirror is broken, we have a king bed with 2 very small pillow no extra in the room. Missing bath towels had to call for one and it took 1hour for them to deliver 2 bath towels. There was a big stain on the carpet by the bed gross. The hotel is a dump! Management doesn't care about the condition and cleanliness of this place.

Room Tip: The hotel is dirty
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jon H
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us. It is disappointing to hear of your unsatisfactory stay experience. Please accept my sincere apologies, I will address your concerns with our team leaders and talent members.

Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have stayed at an aloft before and don't remember being as disappointed as I was at this one. The beds are extremely uncomfortable, the walls are paper thin (I could hear my neighbor going to the bathroom and every conversation ever held), also the floors above you can hear loud noises too, the bathroom has no lighting, we needed extra towels and had to wait half an hour for them, there are no extra pillows or blankets, and the pillows we did have were awful. It is definitely pretty to look at and looks fancy, but you quickly realize it's all show. The lobby is pretty and fun to hang out in, but the bar staff was rude and kept trying to close the bar early. Not to mention what hotel bar doesn't open until 5:00 on the weekends? Every time we talked to the front desk they were never friendly or customer focused. The cleaning staff was "cleaning" the room across from us with the door open and the woman kept trying to call her friends or
family on the speakerphone in the room which we could hear in ours clear as day. Our room received service but wasn't cleaned. Just towels replenished and bed made but floors were left dirty. Not impressed at all.

Room Tip: double bed rooms are bigger in size and have more vanity counter space than a king bed
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. I am sorry to hear that our team did not deliver an exceptional stay experience. We strive to exceed our guest and clients expectation and are becomeing better daily. Your concerns will be address with our team.

Thank you once again for staying with us. We would love to have you visit us again, as we are committed to ensuring that your future stays are delightful.

Virginia
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The rates were reasonable. The rooms were new, modern and very comfortable. They give you 2 weeks free parking and a free 24 hour shuttle to/from the airport. Not much close around to walk to eat but the food at their bar was pretty good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your comments. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward towards welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,
Ralph Shorter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Best Western Dulles Airport Inn
Wingate by Wyndham Chantilly / Dulles Airport
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!