“Friendly and hip”

Aloft Dulles Airport North
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

aLoft's Park, Sleep, Fly is the best deal going. With a friendly staff, hip lobby/bar with pool table and highly functional rooms, this is the ideal choice. Plenty of room for luggage in spare but stylish rooms. Check it out. I think you'll like it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our hotel. I will make sure to share this with my team members. I'm glad that you liked our pool table as this is a nice highlight at Aloft hotels!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

What a GREAT hotel! The rooms allowed dogs and treated them great. The rooms were fantastic and felt like a luxury room with glass shower and a bench for the dogs.

The hotel even had a bar in the lobby.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I've stayed in Starwood Hotels across the country and this one is by far the worst. I paid with the stay with Starwood points, yet have significant charges on my credit card that they are unable to explain because they can't look at past stays. I've never been more disappointed in a Starwood hotel, and recommend staying away from this one.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bridget H
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Hotel seems pretty new and if you've stayed at an Aloft before then it will be exactly what you expect. However, there is very little around this location other than a gas station and another hotel so plan accordingly.

• Stayed: December 2012
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! There are plenty of restaurants within a few miles from the hotel along with Dulles Town Center Mall with plenty of shopping and great restaurants there as well.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at the Aloft for almost 3 weeks about 7 months ago then just stayed again last week. This hotel has a really odd appeal despite a few annoyances. The hotel location is good as long as you want to be close to the airport and a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the DC area. Its quiet without the issue of parking etc. With that said, there isn't that many restaurants in the area, so you have to be willing to drive a few minutes. The rooms themselves are modern and clean. I have found that the first night I am there is typically the cleanest then its kind of hit and miss depending on who is cleaning your room. The beds are fair. The pillows a bit small. The television and bathroom are great. I love the shower which has a hug shower head. The refrigerator is small and loud but useful. That would be the one big thing the hotel could work on..consistency. Some of the front desk employees are amazing, some less so. When I arrived last week, the nice man at the desk actually remembered me despite having not been there for like 7 months. This was refreshing. Overall, I definitely recommend if you want a good, relaxed experience for a bargain price. If you are expecting the Four Seasons...go somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Adam W
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I appreciate your feedback on consistency as this is a key area for our hotel. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Avoid this hotel if you're going to rely on the airport shuttle to get you to/from IAD. There is no dedicated Aloft shuttle and the staff do not have direct access to the driver to arrange rides, causing significant (read: 60 minutes+) delays.

I called the hotel shuttle shortly after arriving at IAD, and was told it would arrive in 15 minutes. It actually took about 65-70 minutes to arrive. I called the front desk 3 times during the ordeal to check on the shuttle, and was told it was stuck in traffic because of a "bad accident." However, once finally on the shuttle, the driver told me that there was no traffic or accident! It turns out he had been waiting idle outside the Hilton the entire time! This is where it gets interesting - even though the Aloft advertises a free shuttle, it actually doesn't have it's own and borrows one from the Hilton next door. The driver said he only got the pick up call 15 minutes ago from the Hilton (yes, Hilton not Aloft, that's right) staff. Interestingly, he didn't seem surprised and claimed similar lies from the Aloft staff happen frequently. It seems, the Aloft staff doesn't have any direct access to it's own advertised shuttle and makes up traffic accidents to explain to guests why the shuttle hasn't arrived to pick them up. Also important to note, the shuttle avoids the toll road, adding about 12 minutes to commute time to/from IAD.

Upon arrival at Aloft, I spoke to the front desk agent about the situation. He seemed embarrassed but initially apathetic. He deflected blame, claiming that the Hilton front desk was the source of the made up story. After he discovered I was an SPG Platinum member, I was offered free food and drinks. The agent took my contact info and told me the general manager, Luis, would be calling in the next 2 days - but it didn't happen.

On to outbound trip to IAD, departure of the hotel shuttle was delayed as well. Several other guests on the shuttle with me were getting impatient - and wondering whether they still had enough time to make their flights - because the shuttle left 35 minutes later than they were told.

The rooms themselves are clean and what you'd expect from an Aloft, even though the service does not live up to Starwood standards. There's free WiFi in rooms, lots of breakfast items available for purchase, and the lobby is nicely furnished with computers for printing boarding passes. They only have one person working during the night and so if you have any sort of issue with the room you have to wait until morning, which can be extremely inconvenient if you have an early morning flight.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank salmaanster

Thank you for taking the time to provide additional feedback on your recent visit to the Aloft Dulles. Again, I appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for the shuttle miscommunication. After discussing this issue over the phone with you, I have addressed your concerns with my team and was under the assumption that everything was taken care of. We truly value your business and loyalty to Starwood and hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.

Truly yours,

Reviewed November 22, 2012

To make a long story short, the shuttle didn't arrive at IAD until 65 minutes after I called the hotel for it. While waiting, I called the hotel for two status checks -- during the second status check, the desk clerk told me that the shuttle was stuck in traffic due to a serious accident (a check on Google showed that traffic was actually flowing fine.) When the shuttle driver arrived, he told me that there was no traffic -- he wasn't even dispatched until 15 minutes beforehand.

Obviously, someone lied here -- either the desk clerk lied to me (who may have forgotten to dispatch the shuttle, evidenced by the fact that the shuttle was reportedly dispatched at the same time I made my second status check) or the shuttle driver lied to the desk clerk. Either way, I am not confident staying at a hotel where the staff makes mistakes and then lies to cover them up. I complained to the hotel chain after the incident, who apologized and supposedly contacted the management, but I never heard anything else.

The hotel itself was okay, but didn't live up to the hype. I suggest avoiding the ground floor, as the lobby/lounge area is noisy (from both the patrons and the music), and there's no soundproof door separating the lounge area from the hotel rooms.

As you can see from my profile, I normally don't leave 1-star hotel reviews, but this stay was disappointing in more ways than one.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank jcs27

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your candidness and apologize that we fell short of both your expectations and mine. We will apply your observations to our customer service improvement plan that we are implementing.

If your travels return you to the Dulles Corridor, please contact me directly at the hotel. We look forward to another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.

General Manager, Aloft Dulles North

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Best Western Dulles Airport Inn
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!