Aloft Dulles Airport North
$200
$179
Homewood
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North(Ashburn)(Great Value!)
$107
GardenInn.com
$89
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North(Ashburn)(Great Value!)
$279
$229
Travelocity
Lansdowne Resort and Spa(Leesburg)
$239
$219
Lansdowne Resort
Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Town Center(Dulles)(Great Value!)
$179
$174
$116
$97
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling(Sterling)(Great Value!)
$81
$74
$153
$139
All reviewspool tablea gas station convenience storedulles airportlounge areamodern hotelcoffee makerindoor poolfree shuttleminute drivedc areahippetslayoutreston
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 6, 2012

In my experience, the Aloft hotel brand is the starwood / Westin hotel chain's attempt to woo the tech savvy business traveller with a reasonably trendy property that provides essential stay needs at an essential stay price. Unfortunately, the Aloft location near Dulles Airport seems to capture the challenges of the chain without many of the upsides.

My stay was characterized by an overly brightened room, with a center mural of flowers between two beds attempting to disguise otherwise rock hard mattresses, and an industrial arrangement of bed and well... not really bath but shower.

The room offers the central elements you expect, bed, basic climate control, a place for your sink and counter, and even a small fridge. They offer a reasonable size given the price, decent water pressure, and plenty of space for work on horizontal surfaces.

If all you are after is a hard bed and a couple of elements to allow you to face the next day clean, the property will suit, and at a good price for the area, with proximity to a few restaurants, a gas station, and a pretty good shopping center.

Its when my expectations are for a more comprehensive experience that my stay fell short. Climate control is provided by an air unit that is on/off. No bathtub is in the room. The configuration of the room means no door on the bathroom, and indeed the door on the toilet ill fits.

There is no real kitchen in the hotel so the bar food items are all either eaten cold or easily heated in a microwave. The health facilities and pool are spartan and small, ill suited to more than a soak and splash. Laps were not possible for me.

This could be a solid two star property if that is what your needs are. My expectations of the Aloft brand are somewhat higher based on my experience and my family needs, and I was sorely disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room mid-way in the hall. Rooms at the end can be a long walk from the elevator.
1  Thank WayneAnderson
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to our Aloft in Dulles. I'm sorry to hear that we fell short on our Accommodations for you and your family. As for the food, we do have a conventional oven where we do offer hot food as well.

I apologize again for any inconvenience that this situation may have caused, and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service again in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Even if I wasn't travelling with my dogs, I still would have fallen in love with this place...SUCH a welcome departure from the run-of-the-mill NoVA hotel. Manages to be both modern (stylish decor, HUGE flatscreen TV, amazing shower) AND affordable (especially with deep AAA discount during weekends.) Replete with better-than-average amenities, both the expected (indoor pool, gym, bar/ restaurant, "convenience" store) as well as the unexpected (pool table, board games, hotel-wide wifi, doggie welcome baskets.) The special pet-friendly touches included doggie bowls, treats, toys, beds, and pick-up bags...ALL FREE! Even better, there is ABSOLUTELY NO charge for pets, daily or otherwise. Only slight disappointment was pet owners are usually restricted to the 1st floor which turned out to be a little noisy our first night (granted, we were between the lobby/bar and an exit door near the parking lot which was used frequently in the evenings making it hard to relax,) but the front desk agreed to move us to the 2nd floor the next night after a little pleading and cajoling which was a big improvement. Nightime staff was AWESOME (pointed us to some all-night restaurants in the area, and hunted down a wine opener from the bar when he couldn't locate one at the desk.) Wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else when we visit the area!

Room Tip: Request upper floor room for the best view. Quietest side is opposite the bar/ restauraunt, naturally.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

You can always count on us! Thank you for your positive review. I am glad to hear that my Team has made your stay outstanding! We are happy to know that we exceeded your expectations with the many "Doggie amenties" that we provide at no cost to our guests! We appreciate that you mentioned how you really loved the decor and the modern look to our hotel.

We appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to your next visit soon.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a very new Hotel with a more European-style design compared to conventional Hotels. Its very trendy and affordable. Rooms are very modern with just the right amenities. Perfect for work or pleasure trip. The lobby area is very trendy with a bar. Overall a pleasantly different experience compared to regular hotels at Dulles.

Room Tip: New hotel. GPS may not find. Map it before travel
1  Thank dattarajrao

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. We greatly appreciate the recommendation as well as the awesome rating!!!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is the way hotels should be - reasonable priced, great service, lovely but minimal. The aloft is sunlit and spacious, clean and streamlined. Great service at the desk (even the new trainee) a good bar, GREAT pool and cute outdoor area. The rooms are perfect - best beds in the world!

We were there for a funeral and Leesburg - a quick 15 minute trip to the downtown - and the staff could not have been more gracious.

1  Thank kndunleavy

We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team.

Luis Kuglitch

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed here in conjunction with a Hotwire reservation, and aside from the location (about 2 miles NW of the airport and a full 30 miles west northwest of DC), I found it to be very charming and contemporary. Risk-averse people might be a little put off, but I liked the fact that the place had flavor. The lobby, as others have written is open and funky, but it's not weird or dysfunctional, and a clerk rushed to help me immediately when I entered. Within 45 seconds I had my key and a luggage cart. There is a nice-looking pool as well as some pool tables either in or adjacent to the lobby, along with an overpriced snack bar. (better to go across the street to the gas statio if you're hungry for a beer or some Slim Jims) I found room layout endearing, but definitely atypical: the room was dominated by a full king size bed, a large LCD the wall, and yes, a mini fridge is under the bathroom sink. The decor was new and snazzy and everything worked just was it was supposed to, it just wasn't bland. I would nerver have found this place otherwise, so Hotwire, which generates 25-30% of the foot traffic, did its job.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Bonbonmontreal
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and the hotel. I will make sure to share this with my team members.