“Hip Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, VA
“Hip Hotel”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Loved Aloft near D.C. First time staying at an Aloft and it's definitely different and modern. The lobby/bar area is a nice place to hang out for a beer and get on the internet. I didn't use the pool but it looked nice, indoor. The room was great. Alot of nice "nooks" to put your things and a huge bathroom area. We had the handicap accessible room so the bed was closer to the floor and the bathroom had a tub/shower instead of the walk in shower. The only thing that they could really improve upon are the terrible pillows. I'm not sure where they got those things but they are very small and have the feel of throw pillows on a sofa!! They are animal friendly and our 7 month old Jack Russell Terrier loved it there!! Food wasn't bad either. Didn't feel much like leaving so we ordered from the bar.........pizza and hummus were good. Nothing out of this world but we weren't expecting it here.

Go, enjoy the ambiance and hipness of this little hotel.

Room Tip: Stay off the bottom floor. Loud music and the bar will make sleeping a little difficult.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
We appreciate your positive comments and great recommendation! Thank you! I am delighted that we were able to meet your expectations on the level of service and accommodations. I will certainly share your feedback with my Team.

Luis Kuglitsch
General Manager, Aloft Dulles North

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
NJ
Reviewed June 29, 2012

What can I say it just works for me. Simple, chic, clean and more than you would need for a night or two when traveling. This property was great for me, they staff was excellent and just made me feel at home.

The overall condition of the property is good, carpets are showing wear and tear, some scuffs and marks on walls throughout, the room showing signs of age but all in all a nice stay. So long as there is no real dirt or bugs I am happy.

The one thing I would suggest is start using fabric softener on your towels........they are like sandpaper :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
lkuglitsch, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments about our team and the hotel. I will make sure to share this with my team members.

Luis Kuglitsch
General Manager, Aloft Dulles North
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 27, 2012

When one stays at an airport hotel, there are 2-3 things that you are looking for:
1) Transportation that runs like it advertises (called SPG platinum to ensure it runs every half an hour and they told me it does) also called the hotel directly the day before my visit and was put on hold for more than 15 minutes, maybe that was a sign. Once I landed, I called and still waited 45 minutes for the shuttle. It was also jammed pack and the driver had the left turn signal on the entire 15 -20 minute ride to the hotel. (This is not a five minutes from the airport- they don't say it is but just letting you know there are many hotels much closer for the same price.)

2) A good bed, its 5 AM and I'm sitting here writing the review because I can't sleep due to the fact that the bed is killing my back, I'm in my thirties - no issues. The AC keeps kicking in and shutting off, causing me to freeze and then be hot and keep waking up and I have tried it on every temperature from 68 to 74.

The woman that checked me in was very nice, apologetic about the shuttle. She also was very helpful with transportation options and gave me the perk passes for SPG. Her customer service made it hard to continue to be upset at this place when I first got here. However, The other woman (very small reception, only two people - I called a few times so I knew their voices) when I called from the airport asked me if I was standing in the right place for the shuttle three times on the phone - I'm not stupid I was in the right place as I saw all the other hotel shuttles circle twice, I can understand asking the question once but three times? I saw the Westin Dulles hotel shuttle circle four times, being SPG platinum, I think I may pick the Westin next time.

The snack bar is pretty great, many hotels that are in the middle of nowhere have very few eating options this one takes care of that really well The decor is also very nice. I ordered a pizza last night, it was ok but if you don't have a car you really have no other options. Given that I wasn't expecting a gourmet meal given the standard so it was more than fine but if I was at an actual restaurant I would have wanted better but for airport hotel food it was reasonable. The rate for this night was 175 before tax, I used points so it was fine ( I was debating to use points or pay) but I would have been really upset if I would have paid 200 dollars for this room, even if my company was paying for it particularly when there are so many hotels around here and some with better rates. I guess I will try to go back to sleep now!

1 Thank travels120000
Paris, France
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for Thanksgiving so needless to say that we had a good rate as everybody was with their family rather than staying at an airport hotel facility... It is close to the airport but we didn't hear the planes and it was a very quiet area. You need a car or you have no choice other than going to the close Raddisson hotel to have dinner (in the Aloft, they just sell snacks). There is a mall nearby where we had dinner. The drive to Washington DC is ok, we parked to a train station and went to Washington with the public transportation. Parking at the train station is free on the weekends, and this is a small fee ($4 ?) during week days. For New Yorkers, almost free and very convenient :-)
The room at the hotel was nice and trendy. My daughter only likes "classy" hotels and she was pleased (she is 9 year old but already has high standards lol). We went to the pool, that she said was cold, but we liked the chairs (very comfy).
Staff was so-so. They were nice but moderately available, and yet, I wouldn't say there were a lot of people to take care of...
As I said, we had a special rate for this hotel (on Priceline) and we thought it was money well spent. Very good bargain. Should we go back to Washington DC, we probably would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Fort Myers FL
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have stayed at this property twice now. My first visit was when the property was almost brand new and must say I was disappointed to see how poorly they have kept the rooms up. Stains and broken mirrors are a constant reminder of previous guests.
Aloft's pluses are they try to foster a sense of community in the bar and common areas and the hotel has a "modern" theme. The staff has been helpful during both of my stays as well.
The property overall is what you'd expect for a mid range hotel catering primarily to one night business travelers. I don't make a point of staying there, but I don't avoid them either...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I just stayed for one night when traveling for business. I really had no complaints. The lobby area is very modern and different from any other I've seen. There's a small bar, and an area where you can buy lots of snacks/food. The front desk staff with whom I interacted were all extremely friendly and helpful. My room was a decent size, very clean and had everything I needed. The bed was comfortable. The only thing I'd change were the pillows. They weren't the greatest, and there were only 2 on a king-sized bed. There was a large flat screen TV. Everything in the room was new/updated. The bathroom fixtures were modern, with a vessel sink. The water pressure in the shower could have been stronger, but not a big deal. All in all, I'd definitely stay here again. Not sure how others had complaints...

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Typical ALOFT - trendy, functional and in a VERY quiet area. Hotel staff is extremely helpful. My room was clean and had everything I required. Close to the airport and freeway. Not many restaurants / shooping within walking distance - you have to have a car to get around.

Room Tip: get a room which faces the courtyard - however, the whole area is quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Bob c
Joshua L, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Good afternoon Bob c,

First let me thank you for taking the time to review the aloft Dulles, your feedback is very important to us and is a great way of learning how we can improve.

I am very happy everything was the way you expected it to be, it makes me even happier to read your comments regarding the hotel staff being extremely helpful. We are a little bit off the beat and path, but convenience and quietness has its advantages as you dually noted.
We look forward to your next visit with us.

Wishing you safe travels!

Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!