“Not your average hotel...”

Aloft Dulles Airport North
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
“Not your average hotel...”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I bought a Groupon for Aloft Dulles Hotel mainly because the price was reasonable and the website made the hotel seem extremely cool and modern. Thankfully, the pictures were accurate. Our girls weekend was a blast and a lot of the is because of Aloft. Aloft was one of the best hotels I've stayed in for many reasons:

1. The staff was really friendly and helpful. From the time we walked in the front door until we left, they were welcoming, nice, and available.

2. Everything was beautiful! My friends and I spent about 10 minutes "oohing" and "ahhing" over everything in the lobby and then did the same thing up in our rooms. Everything was clean and neat and the pops of color all over really helped liven the place up.

3. We visited the xyz bar at night and recieved great service. Even though the solo bartender was extremely busy, she still gave us quality service from beginning to end. The appetizers that we ordered were well-priced and delicious and our drinks were well-made. They'll also deliver your food to your room if you request that.

4. Although we didn't use it, they did have a free shuttle service that not only got you to you the airport, but also any place within five miles.

5. The lobby was full of chairs in different areas, board games, a pool table and magazines. It was a nice place to hang out when you wanted to be out of your room. There were also seats outside on the patio where you could relax and take your drinks out there as well.

A few things that weren't our favorite:

The cleaning lady knocked on our door 2-3 times the morning of check-out to see if we had left already. After knocking, she tried to get into our room, but our latch was across. Since check-out wasn't until noon, we were surprised to see this happening at 8 and 9am.

The bathroom door is just a mirror wall that slides across. It doesn't create much privacy if you are in a group of people.

Overall though- we loved our stay and will definitely recommend to our friends! I hope to stay again sometime soon!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Joshua L, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Good morning Gini M,

Thank you for the review of the aloft dulles, we truly appreciate the time and detail you put into this. I do want to apologize for the early morning knocks at your door; this is something that I will speak to the housekeeping team about. As for the sliding bathroom door, this is an aloft / Starwood design, not something we installed, I agree it does take some getting used to.

We hope to see you again in the near future!

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This hotel did not meet my expectations. It started at the very beginning when I found out they had incorrectly booked my stay. They wanted to charge me an extra night for their mistake. The bathroom door ( a sliding mirror) would not close, which is unacceptable when you have two couples staying in the room. Each of us had to take turns placing the trash bin outside of the door so the other person would have privacy in the shower or on the toilet. I reported this to management the first morning and they never addressed it. The rest of the room was ok, but the furniture and walls had scratches everywhere. The whole hotel has a modern appeal, but they charge you for just about anything (ice, breakfast, toiletries). For the price, I would find a Homewood Suites. You'll find better service there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Good morning Clamonster,

I have reviewed your response and I am confused on a few of the points you have brought up; we do not charge for ice or toiletries, also your stay did include a $25 Food & Beverage voucher which most certainly could have been used towards breakfast. I understand your concern with the sliding glass door, these are an aloft / Starwood design, not something that we installed. I do apologize if you felt that the staff did not communicate this to you when you called the front desk. I see you arrived very late in the evening / early morning, so this may have been the reason for the mistake on the reservation.

If you would like to speak with me in more detail please feel free to contact me directly.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2012

You know, these aloft's attract a certain kind of traveler. For me? I just like quiet and peaceful. I'm guessing all alofts are alike (this was my first time staying in one) but it was just way to busy for me -- just took going on with music, lights, bars, dance floors, food stuffs and all as soon as you walk in the door. There was some sort of dance class or date night or something going on the first time I checked in -- again, a bit too much for me. The room I was in, though, was spacious and clean and comfortable. Internet was complimentary. It was good value as I did a Starwood SPG Cash & Points deal, so for like $30 a night it was great! But not my cup of tea. Now I know and will more than likely just to stick to staying at other Starwood properties in the neighborhood. Other than the gas station nearby, you'll have to find food about 10 minutes away. Not bad, but since this is a fairly new property, there's not a ton of development out that way yet.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank theupdegraffs
Joshua L, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you - the updegraffs for your review of the aloft Dulles and I can certainly understand your feelings on the type of hotel the aloft is. The design, layout and thought process that Starwood came out with for the aloft brand does take some getting used to. I am happy to hear the rest of your experience was very positive, now that you have an understanding of the aloft brand I would love for you to stay with us again in the future.
Clarksboro, New Jersey
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times for business and just this week for 4 nights. This is a good hotel for a business person as it is very close to the highway and has easy parking, and is about 15 minutes from Reston / Herndon, VA Area. The hotel may be different than what you are used to in that it has a modern design. The rooms are claen and comfortable and the beds are adequate, but do not really compare to the upper scale Marriotts, Sheratons, and Hiltons, but are good for the price. Each room has a flat screen TV and a refrigerator as we as a glass encased shower with soap and shappo/conditer dispensers. The only negative I can see is the snack concession in the lobby. Although it has a nice assortment of snacks and even a microwave and frozen entrees, the price is probably double that of a convienence store. Otherwise, I would definite stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Joshua L, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Michael D,

Thank you for the positive review you have given us for the Aloft Dulles, it means a great deal to hear that you have stayed with us several times and intend to continue staying with us. I do understand your concern with our re:fuel area, but I can tell you that we try to stay consistent with our pricing and offerings based on the market.
We look forward to having you back soon.

Joshua L.
PA
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Our first Aloft stay and it was most unique. It was New Years Eve with a party in the lobby. We had advanced reservations, which was a good thing because we were returning from a trip. Rooms are very nice, large TV, and bathroom is supplied with needed items. Being able to leave our car for over a week was a big plus!
Only negative is that they do NOT have a restaurant. Only items to purchase separately for all meals. Hotel next door had a restaurant.

Room Tip: We were able to get a room away from the lobby, which really helped, due to the New Years' Eve p...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
AloftAnna, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Hello, tgingrich, and happy new year! We are thrilled that you were with us to ring in 2012. We are equally pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, found the park and fly to be convenient and that the room had all that you needed. For the future, we do have a full-service restaurant, w xyz, that serves dinner nightly from 5pm - 10pm. We are in the process of rolling out our new menu in a short while. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Until then, have safe and happy travels!
Woodstock, Maryland
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as they had a park & fly package at a great rate. Since we were away for 12 days on a cruise, having the parking included at a safe location was very important.
We loved the hip vibe and the great location near shopping & restaurants. The room & the staff were great.
We would stay here again and will stay at the N.Y.C. Brooklyn location next.

jsl

Room Tip: Make arrangements for the airport shuttle service in advance with the front desk. The exercise room...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you, studebhawk, for your kind comments. We are thrilled that you found us to be convenient for your travels from Dulles Airport and the accommodations and staff to be great. We are certainly proud of the team and our services. You will equally enjoy the Aloft Brooklyn that opened less than a year ago. You will find them to be just as hip as we are! Thanks for the great suggestion regarding reserving the shuttle in advance. Safe travels to your next destination!
Reviewed January 21, 2012

On the outside this hotel looks modern. Lots of great design features and neon lights. Ultra modern design. But, the Electrical outlet didn't work, Sink didn't drain, shower leaked, bathroom door would not close, etc.
Worst, bed sits on a wooden platform - hit my leg and got a nasty bruise.
Breakfast not included. Internet free but didn't work well in room - kept crashing. Beds hard and one was saggy.

Hotel ultra modern in decor with lots of fluorescent lights. Walking into lobby is like walking into a bar. Not impressed. Little things that didn't work were annoying.

It's north west of Dulles airport so a little out of the way. Took 30 minutes to get to airport in morning traffic.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you, Pattienns, for your frank comments. We are disappointed in the number of areas that you have reported that did not work properly. We are a hotel only 3 years old and have a solid maintenance team in place that typically takes great care and certainly much pride in the hotel and its functionality. I apologize that in your case you found flaws. We are indeed modern and distinct. We are upgrading our internet speed in the rooms; however, the 100 mbps located in the public space is both reliable and lightning fast! Morning traffic can be tough making our distance of 6.8 miles seem like we are much farther than we are. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you the service levels for which we are known. Until then, please have wonderful travel adventures!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Best Western Dulles Airport Inn
Wingate by Wyndham Chantilly / Dulles Airport
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!