“Great Value”

Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel
Ranked #34 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We utilized a Living-social deal which was a great rate for the DC area and for this particular hotel as we stayed here a few years back when visiting Ft. Meyer (which is right next door to the hotel). The hotel room we stayed in had a poor view of just the roof and highways but was a newly remodeled room. It is a nice hotel but the dining room leaves a lot to be desired. There wasn't a hostess for quite a while and it looked kind of unorganized so we went back to our room and ordered a fairly mediocre meal that cost us $85. For $85 in the Arlington area there would have been a better meal but on the plus side (we were pooped) it arrived warm and quickly. There is a difficult entry when coming into the hotel that all should be made aware of or you will be driving in circles quite a distance as there is major highway construction at the highway intersections at the hotel. Make sure when exiting directly off the highway to the street right in front of the hotel proper that you go to the NEXT entrance (when you arrive the "entrance" is an exit so it is very confusing. There is no signage or lighted signs indicating you should go to the NEXT entrance). Once there, there is a U turn to the front of the hotel. The hotel allows you 5 minutes to unload and move your car. I can see that when the hotel has many arrivals this could be very messy.

Big pluses are self parking and free wifi. You receive two tickets to put into the automated parking meter, one white, one blue. The blue goes in after the white one. We still were being "charged" $25 for one night stay but when pushing the button for help and telling them it was wrong, they immediately opened the gate. Strange. But if one thinks about the cleanliness, the comfortable beds, the very welcoming staff, the free (?) parking and the free wifi? Where in the Metropolitan D.C. area could one find such a value for a mere $79 and be treated with respect? The staff is remarkably nice considering it is basically a tourist hotel!

Oh, one odd item is every picture and mirror was permanently placed crooked in our room. The mirror in the entry way was so crooked it was hilarious. Funny!

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk if you are an SPG member. I was willing to pay for an upgrade bit was automa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Star Wood Hotels rates Sheraton Pentagon solid 4 stars. NOT in my OPINION.

Cons:
Worn furniture. Closet door unhinged - dangerous for my little daughter. Wall socket unaffixed - again VERY DANGEROUS for little ones!!! Soiled carpeting on multiple areas of room. The room we were assigned (street-side) also has large AC units just below that became annoyingly disturbing during sleep (prominent ticks on/off).
Just a little gripe: why is the sink outside of the bathroom when there is a sink top with plumbing within the bathroom? I don't understand...

Pros:
Presentable lobby with a fairly stocked gift shop and welcoming bar/restaurant.
Pool seems a tad bit small (small sized - with 5.5' down to 3.5' depths), but more than adequate for any traveler. Fitness room is more than sufficient for any wanting to keep their metabolism up (machines & weights) - liked it! Both facilities on the 16th floor (top). Nice touch on the attached patio, adjacent to the pool - thank you!
Fairly good sized room - traditional layout double beds, TV atop of a double dresser, a nigth stand, work desk, closet, safe, and bathroom. Some wall decors as well.
Solid 4 star service (service staff ONLY) - staff is very pleasant. They remember my name and seem genuine about inquiring about my stay (usually what I experience with 5 star hotels).
Likes: Flat screen TVs, soft comfy pillows, staff...staff...and staff...

Summary:
I feel this hotel was a solid 4 star once upon a distant past. Its apparent the years have been hard on the rooms and some renovation might be a good idea.
I have stayed with solid 3 stars that I felt more at home with.
Brought up some of my room concerns with front desk and was offered to move to another room, but we were only booked for 2 nights with only 1 more night of stay; I decided repacking was too much of a hassle (loud bothersome tick mentioned above - resolved with ear plugs I had in my travel bag).
I managed to get a great deal on the hotel (inclusive - parking and internet), but be warned they do charge $22 parking and $11 internet per night for a traditional booking.

The location is well situated to everything you want to sight-see in WashDC. Though I didn't take advantage of the free shuttle, they do drop-offs/pickups on every top&bottom of the hour to the closest METRO.

Hope this helps my fellow travelers.....

Room Tip: Please do yourself a favor and request a room away from the street side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
RobSPCGM, General Manager at Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Joseph C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us while staying at the Sheraton Pentagon City. Obviously I am disappointed that you experienced a few maintenance issues in your room as I have followed up with our Engineering Department to inspect these issues during their regular maintenance checks of the rooms. I have also instructed our Housekeeping Team to inspect every room to identify the need for carpet care as a dirty carpet is simply unacceptable. I sincerely apologize that you had to encounter a less than perfect room during your stay.

I appreciate the kind words about our great staff and for highlighting a few of the hotel's attributes such as the pool, fitness center and transportation.

Again, thank you for your insight as your review will assist us in creating a better experience for our future guests.

Best regards, SPCGM

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We picked this place because some of us flew in, others drove. Great shuttle service to and from airport and nearest metro at Pentagon City. And it is free. Got a good rate for parking for those with cars.
Clean, large rooms, bathroom. Only negative is the in room coffee pod system with paper cups. would love to have a real mug.
Bar staff, and wait staff in restaruant were very friendly, great service. Good breakfast buffet.
Try the homemade potato chips with blue cheese and bacon!!!! on the bar menu.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My family & I stayed at this hotel for a night while we were on vacation. Everything was real convient for us. The people at the front desk were really helpful and courteous. They let us check in early and even decreased the parking fee for us! The only thing that wasn't mentioned upfront was the $50 incidental charge. They will give it back to you at the end of your stay, but that was the only "suprise" we had for the trip.
The room we stayed in was a double. Very spacious and clean. I liked how the sink was on the outside of the bathroom (really helpful when you have 4 people in one room). We had a view of the city, which was pretty cool at night. The gym was very, very nice! The pool was a bit small but the outside patio made up for the rest. We had no problems getting on/off the shuttle. They say it should arrive every 30 minutes, but each time we rode, the driver was early (another plus :).
The hotel is away from everything. If you are planning to go to D.C. I would say find a hotel there in the city; it will be easier for you as far as transportation. If you are just wanting to stay in Arlington, this would be the place to stay! The hotel shuttle will drop you off and pick you up right in front of the metro station/mall. Hope this was helpful!!! Enjoy your stay!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Check-in would have been more enjoyable if the front desk person had a nicer attitude. He was not very forthcoming with information. Ate a late dinner at the bar, since the restaurant was closed. The bartender was great and attentive. Sadly the crab cakes were undercooked – but the parts cooked were tasty. By the time they brought new ones, I no longer was hungry. Pillows in the room – perfect! Was attending a 2 day conference that meals were not included. Their restaurant was bombarded with folks from our group and not enough staff to accommodate. The servers tried their best. The 2nd day, was little better. So my recommendation to the hotel is that they communicate internally for instances like this. One more thing with the restaurant - $2.95 for a small ice tea! Couldn’t get a refill on the 1st day because the servers were overwhelmed. Shuttle drivers were on time. Hotel is nice property, but you need the shuttle or a car to go anywhere. Kind of isolated.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MountJuliet2011
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I must say this is a good location right on the side of all the tourist attractions, without the SUPER high price. It is withing walking distance to the Air Force Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, Pentagon, and Pentagon City subway station.

If you are flying in, their airport shuttle run every 30 minutes, so that is a savings there instead of having to pay for a taxi or private shuttle to take you to and from the hotel. But if you are renting a car, be ready to pay a hefty price for hotel parking.

Our week stay was great, helpful staff, nice clean room, and a good view of Washington DC. Check in was a breeze, no problems, in and up to our room.

Check them out, good location without the high price (is all I have to say :) )

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hmtz837
Reviewed September 22, 2013

After we got over the fact that Pentagon City location did NOT mean that we were AT the Pentagon City mall... we had a very nice stay. The staff was excellent and the room was comfortable and large. Shuttle service was provided to the metro station every half hour.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple