“Lovely rooms, ridiculously bad customer service and terrible food!”

Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Lovely rooms, ridiculously bad customer service and terrible food!”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The only reason my rating is 2 stars is because the rooms are clean and the bed was wonderful.

I booked a room here a few weeks ago, and then decided I would stay 2 nights instead of one, so I called the hotel to ask how I should go about booking the second night and the lady I spoke with told me to make the reservation and call back with both so they could link them together. I did this, but when I called back another lady just said they'd take care of it when I checked in. Having dealt with this situation in the past at another hotel, I didn't want to chance having to be moved in the middle of my stay, so I asked to speak to the manager. After a comedy of errors of phone calls, lengthy holds and messages, I received a call from the Customer Service manager, Ashley Smith, who seemed geniunely committed to resolving the problem, and when I got off the phone, I felt confident that everything had been sorted. The next day, I even received a phone call from the hotel manager, Ken Peduzzi, who was also following up and expressed his apologies for the confusion. Instead of thinking my stay might turn into a nightmare, I felt like "Wow, these people really care!"

Imagine my surprise when I went to check in and was told that I had two seperate reservations so I'd have to check out and check in again the next day! I almost couldn't believe it. What made matters worse was that I had called at around 8 ams(ince I came in on a red-eye from LA) to ask if there was a chance I could check in early. I was put on hold for about 10 seconds and told "No rooms are ready, check in at 3 pm or maybe 2." Really? I suspect that she really didn't check, or I think she could have said that no rooms were ready at that time in the morning, but please call back later to check again. I didn't expect to check in at 8 am, but around 11 or 12 would have helped. So when I went to check in that evening, after being up for 52 hours straight, someone cut in front of me when I was the only person waiting at the front desk! Another employee saw this and was shocked; I was so out of it, I didn't even see how it happened, but I was still standing in line and some guy was being waited on in front of me! The other employee was also miffed and she took me right away, but it was just another bad mark for the hotel's customer service.

Now for the food: I cannot express how bad the "buffet breakfast" was, but I will do my best. The orange juice was undrinkable-it actually didn't even taste like orange juice, the flavor was so bad...never had oj like this in my life. The waffles were soggy and tasted (honestly) like cardboard! I did everything I could to choke down the one bite, so I wouldn't embarrass myself by spitting out food in front of other guests in the restaurant. Had one bite of a rubbery sausage, and that was it, I didn't even want to try the "scrambled" eggs or anything else. I couldn't have yogurt as they only had a "healthy" version with aspartame in it (yeah, real healthy.) Why couldn't they have a choice between regular yogurt and "light"? If it wasn't for the bowl of fresh fruit I ate, there would pretty much not have been anything good at the buffet; making breakfast items which taste good isn't difficult, why was almost nothing edible at this place? It was such a lovely room too.

I discovered that the phone is "mislabeled" as when I called the customer service number (button) no one answered, twice. Which again, I'm thinking "great service!" I pressed another button (I had a wifi question) and a person answered, but he said it was room service (was not the button for room service, mind you) and put me through to the front desk. Good grief!

Since my son attends Georgetown, I will be back in the area several times in the next few years, and I would have loved to stay at this hotel again because I adored the bed and the room was really nice, but with the sort of customer service that I received (and I see its not just me) and the food being so bad, I just can't do it.

To Ashley and Ken: I appreciate you trying to make amends before I arrived, and I truly believe you do want to make sure guests are satisfied, but your staff is killing your efforts.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ccincalif

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've stayed atthe Sheraton and arranged many large and small meetings at this venue....the hotel recently changed it's name from the Sheraton National Airport to the Sheraton Pentagon City and I can honestly tell you it is a real gem tucked up on a knoll off the Columbia Pike highway just across and within easy view from the clustered venues of Crystal City. Free 24/7 shuttle to Reagan National Airport and the Pentagion City Mall. A top-notch Banquet staff and plush quiet rooms. The hotel was renovated after 2000 and still is very clean and offers attractive meeting space. The rooms have nice decor and offer the Starwood high end bedding and mattresses. Try it and you likely will become a repeat customer and, (like me) wish to avoid a mega-hotels with a ton of walking and congestion in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a View of Crystal City in the main hotel tower
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bradford B
ireland
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed on 7th oct for 3 nights. 4of us in a room. Was on one of the preferred floors overlooking Washington, D.C. . Room was big enough for us. Shuttle service was punctual and great. Had no problem taking the shuttle bus to and fro to metro station. Service was good. Will stay here again. Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Washington city
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We used a Living Social Deal for this trip. We checked in around 11:00 AM! We were impressed that a room was available. We requested a room with a DC view and were given room 1000, a corner room facing DC. The view was fantastic. The room was very nice, we had a problem with the HD TV and it was replaced promptly! We then had a leaking toilet, which was also attended to promptly. The shuttle service between the hotel and the Pentagon City Metro Station runs every 30 minutes and was prompt, clean and the drivers were very courteous. A $5 Metro ticket was included and, because of the way the Metro works, we were able to get TO the Smithsonian Station and when we attempted to return, we had to add money to the card. (I do realize this is not a hotel problem, but someone posted earlier that the card was supposed to be a 1 day Metro pass and the Living Social deal clearly states a $5 card.) The breakfast buffet was included and was very nice. Our server, I think her name was Giavanna, was excellent. The beds were very comfortable, the pillows are fluffy. I never use two pillows but did here! I would have to say the only negative was that there was only free WiFi in the lobby, It was an additional cost in the rooms AND also in the Business Center, which surprised us! Parking was included and the indoor pool is closed because of construction. The sunrise, which had NOTHING to do with the hotel, was absolutely magnificent!

Room Tip: Ask for an even number room on a high floor for the great view of DC.
1 Thank hd0829
Bear, Delaware
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Terrible customer service!!! I booked my hotel the first week in March for the Marine Corps Marathon on October 27th. I received a call three weeks prior to the race stating that there was a problem with my room and they needed to move me. Being that these hotels sell out very quickly due to the marathon being there, I wasn't sure if I would be able to get another hotel close to the starting area for the race. They planned to move me to their "sister hotel," which was over a 30-45 minute commute, via a shuttle,metro and walking. The girl told me if I had any problems or questions to call and that she would detail a metro route for me as well as send me her GM's number so "next time I stayed with them, they would give me a reduced rate." I never received any of that information and upon researching this new hotel, found out that it was over 20 dollars cheaper, but no adjustment was made. For my trouble alone, they should have either comped my room or given me a serious discount. She told me that since I "pre-paid"(accidently mind you), that "there would be no additional charges." YA THINK!?!?! Should have gotten a refund. She told me that they would give me a boxed lunch(I would be going to my marathon around 630 or so inthe morning...didn't really help). She also told me that they had a "manger's happy hour which I could go to(yeah the night before I run 26.2 miles...great idea). Then told me I could after the race(uh...checking out sunday morning). Glad she paid attention to all the details of my stay.

I called her back later in the day and left her a message. The next day, no return call. I called and left another message, no return call. I call the next day and ask for a manager, the front desk lady asked if she could help me and I told her that I had spoken to this lady and she offered to transfer me to her(which I shot down obviously). She then put me on hold and a guy got on the phone with me. I had to re-explain my story to him to which he replied "let me see if there is a manager for you to speak to..." They transferred me to this front desk "manager" and I got her voice mail stating she "was on the other line, but would get back to me." Never called me back. I called back later in the evening and demanded to not be transferred and that I wanted to speak to a LIVE person. I was then told that I needed to speak to someone entirely different for my situation and of course when they transferred me, I got his voicemail!!! I left him a message. Never heard back.

So growing VERY tired of voicemails and people at the hotel that just keep transferring without care, I looked up the corporate contact information. There was a comment/complaint email option which I did. I heard back within a few hours and they stated that they would be passing this along to the appropriate manger.

Surprisingly(sarcasm), I finally got a phone call from the original girl that I spoke to and she "apologized" and stated that she was forwarded the email that I had written to the coorperate office. She stated that she was going to refund me the money I wanted back and then stated that she wanted me to call her the next day(WHY!?!) I guess she wanted to apologize in "person" and probably try to save face for all the awful service I received. I didn't find it shocking to hear of other customer service issues while reading the other reviews.

To sum it up, I will never stay at this hotel again. Have to laugh at the fact that they even thought I would stay there after they screwed me majorly 3 weeks before my race. Not sure how I had to get moved, when I booked the hotel over 7 months ago. I would imagine I was one of the first to book that. They probably just call people until people agree to move. She also said that the people that didn't pre pay would be out of a room entirely!!! Probably some were marathoners as well. JUST ABOUT THE WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER...funny since I didn't even stay there!!! Don't BOOK THIS HOTEL!!

Room Tip: Don't Stay here... they don't value their customers!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeff E
Ashley S, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Jeff E, Thank you for sharing your story and have reviewed your situation further with our team. On behalf of the Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel team, we do apologize for the inconvenience which this has caused you. We know how important it is to prepare for the marathon. Per your comments, I have followed up to make sure all concerns with payment were resolved as you stated. We do regret we had to advise you in advance of the relocation of your room for your upcoming visit to our area. Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or concerns. Kind regards, Ashley Smith, Guest Services Manager

Travelers are raving about these Arlington hotels

Penfield
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed a few nights last week at the Sheraton National and can't say enough about the staff and service. Very friendly, accomodating and professional. Stayed in a boardroom suite with a great view of Washington. Excellent bedding and plenty of room, great bar. Situated near the Pentagon of course, but the surrounding neighborhood is somewhat rundown. When booking, make sure to ask for a room in the tower facing Washington.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing Washinton
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sid2140,

On behalf of the Sheraton Pentagon City team, we would like to say thank you for the time taken to complete a review and the positive feedback of our hotel. We are excited to know you enjoyed your time with us. The views of Washington, DC are amazing from many rooms of the hotel and we are happy to offer views of both DC and Arlington, VA. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in the Washington, DC area.

Kind Regards,
Hotel Management
Wichita,KS USA
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Clean and attractive property, if it's not having renovation.
I found the shuttle bus easily and immediately at the baggage claim area. We were quickly on our way.
Shuttles were provided on the half hour to the airport (We only went to Reagan DCA).
Shuttles were provided on the half hour to the Pentagon City Metro/Subway Station for "easy" journey to the MALL or elsewhere. Also at this spot is a huge mall with lots of shopping and eating options. We felt safe and enjoyed the people.
No free breakfast-typical of Sheraton. Safe in the closet worked fine. Elevators fine.
Beds were luxurious though mine was at a slant. Seemed like a bed I've slept on before so no big deal.
There is really no dining or shopping immediately around this property other than one ethnic bread restaurant/store.
Breakfast buffet was $15.00 or so. The food was good. Sadly, the serving woman was, of course, obviously foreign and wouldn't communicate clearly. She answered "yes" to questions that needed "no" answers and mumbled. She was somewhat sweet but when I'm spending money, I like straight answers.
DC is full of foreigners and that's fine. However, I expect people who are in the service business to do good service and SPEAK THE LANGUAGE loud and clear.
--NOTE: As experienced travellers know, it is VERY EASY to get dangerously lost on subways. Find someone who will help purchasing tickets and make sure you get exact instructions. Don't take chances when evening is approaching.--
This property was renovated , and is still in the process, and some decisions were poorly made. In the sleeping room the only mirror is in the narrow entryway. I was surprised. Also, the water from the faucets doesn't wash out the sink properly. I noticed at the next hotel on my trip that the faucet functioned as I hoped. This is a very small thing, but it matters in a practical way though nearly trivial.
NO Gideon Bibles in either of the Sheratons we stayed in. I have my own Bible for reading, but this is obviously a statement from Sheraton. Very disappointing. Traditional Christian America IS the America which made the world a free and safer place.
Overall this is a fine hotel.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces the landmarks and the Mall area. Other sides face old town stuff.