“Wonderful hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
newport news, va
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed March 20, 2007

Made reservation through travelzoo because it had a great rate with 2 free breakfasts.
Also because of the reviews on this site.
They were spot on.
The front desk people were very professional.
The room was wonderful and the bed was so comfortable. I have stayed at a number of hotels recently that said their beds are the best, well they aren't.
The bed was firm and super comfortable.
There was a sofa chair with ottoman that made it comfortable to watch tv.
The coffee and tea were excellent.
The bathroom was super clean with shampoo, conditioner, etc.
The shower was kind of hard to get started, you had to push up on the faucet to get it started. Had never seen that before.
The breakfast on sunday a.m. was a buffet. Good selection.
The service was excellent. The staff acted like they really liked having us there.
This hotel is first class and is also right across from the metro which is so convenient.
Enjoy.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
uk
Reviewed February 21, 2007

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone in the area. From initially calling the hotel to make my reservation - she assisted me herself rather than transferring me. I was picked up by the most friendly gentleman who offered me water. All of the staff at the front desk were so friendly. They really went out of their way to ensure I was settled in my room. Then - then even called to inquire if I needed any maps or suggestions on what to do while I was here (I mentioned I wanted to get settled first at check in) I could tell I was not the only one that experienced this type of service. Others mentioned in the elevator and in the restaurant with similar experiences - whether it be a simple laugh or a greeting with a smile. I think all it takes to get friendly service - is to be friendly yourself. It goes a lot further. I have already sent my letter to the hotel - but felt the need to put it in writing here. They have a really great team there!

• Liked — Exceptional Service / Location / Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Seasonal Pool
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Riverside, CA
Reviewed February 16, 2007

I stayed at this property while visiting a friend in DC. The property was reasonably priced, is right across the street from a metro stop, and is surrounded by other hotels/food options/shopping. Because of my status in Starwood's program I received a comp upgrade to a club floor room. Because this was a weekend this included a complementary breakfast buffet in the downstairs bistro, which was substantial (eggs, bacon, potatoes, rolls, pastries, etc.) and filling.

My biggest concern with the property was that my non-smoking room had the lingering smell of having been a smoking room. I also had no functioning ice machine on my floor (the 14th). When I tried the 15th and 12th floors, neither of those ice machines were functional either. When I called the front desk to inquire which floor had a working ice machine, I was told not to worry, that room service would bring a bucket of ice to my room. In my estimation this was an appropriate response to a broken ice machine . Unfortunately, room service never arrived with my ice.

The staff at this property were at one of two extremes, either friendly and helpful or disinterested with an "I can't be bothered" type attitude. Since the property was very lightly booked during my stay I would have expected service to be very prompt and attentive. I sometimes got that and sometimes did not.

Overall I wasn't turned off enough to swear off this property for good, but I wasn't impressed enough to not seek out other options next time I'm in the area.

• Liked — Convenient to metro, good room rate
  • Disliked — Smell in room, inconsistent service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
San Mateo, California
Reviewed September 7, 2006

For the price this is an INCREDIBLE place. We paid $95/night, AAA rate, booked on the Sheraton site. The other sites (Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) were not much more. Our room (on the Starwood Preferred Guest floor) was spacious -- two double beds (and room to squeeze a rollaway cot between them), a desk, stuffed chair and side table. We had a small refrigerator, and a complimentary bottle of water was brought every day. We were VERY disappointed that the pool "wasn't working" after Labor Day -- I think they just don't staff it or something.

The restaurant food was good -- lots of choices on the kid menu. Service is AMAZINGLY slow. Breakfast service was so slow that they apologized and offered a free breakfast the next day. Dinner was even slower; the waiter explained that it was because, since the dining room had few guests, he was doing room service, too.

Internet access is $10/day, not wireless.

Location is very convenient to Metro (arrive early -- it's confusing!), and to a small shopping center that's attached to the Marriott. There's a Rite-Aid, where you can buy water, soda, milk, etc. to stock your tiny fridge.

Airport shuttle service was quick, easy and friendly.

In spite of the slight disappointments, this was still a great price, and a great place to stay for a D.C. vacation.

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank blooberry
Ohio
Reviewed July 23, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Crystal City last week and found it to be a very nice experience. The room, while a bit on the small side, was clean and comfortable. The staff of the hotel was exceptionally friendly and had immediate answers to all our questions. Our request for extra bath towels was answered within minutes. The hotel is just a hundred yards or so from the metro, which was a major bonus in our book!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Reviewed June 28, 2006

I had not stayed at this hotel for a couple of years and so was worried since the last time, it was down in the dumps.

A quick trip to DC required me to take this hotel as it was one of the few that still had open rooms. I was most pleasantly surprised. From check in to check out, all of the staff were very pleasant and accomodating.

As others have mentioned, the location is central to Crystal City and a short walk (one block) to the Metro.

The 14th floor Club Level room I was given was newly redone and very nice. The bed was very comfotable, the furnishings modern and well done. The Bathroom was well lit and had all of the necessities including a large towel supply. The airconditiong system seemed much improved from my previous stays and was more than adequate to cope with a typical DC summer day.

The excercise room has all new equipment, a sauna and Plasma Screen TV's. Again, a large supply of towels were available.

The Club Lounge was well stocked and comfortable. The only thing missing were local and national newspapers since the only selection was USA Today.

All and all, I was pleased with the changes to the Hotel and now have a good backup in case my usual locations are unavailable.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank skibuff
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed May 13, 2006

Although I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past 5 years, it has never been a favorite. It has an excellent location next to a Metro stop that is only one stop from National Airport. There are also many nice restaurants within walking distance. In the past, its best feature has been lower prices than the nearby hotels, but now everything in the Washington area is very expensive. During this stay, I noticed that the hotel had been renovated, and the front desk personnel had apparently taken a course in customer service. On a rainy night, the desk clerk volunteered the hotel van to take our group to dinner and bring us back. This was a big help. The hotel room and meeting facilities were very nice. I would not automatically return to the Sheraton if I were staying in this area, but I would check prices and consider it if the price were competitive.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business