“Racial Discrimination”

The Westin Crystal City
Ranked #14 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I needed a hotel on the night of 12/20, I then booked a room through Expedia, I even clicked the icon indicating I needed a room for the night. I arrived at the Sheraton at 3am, my fiancee went to the front door of the hotel to check in and the doors were locked for safety concerns. My fiancee then clicked the buzzer to be greeted by a woman later identified as Linda, who after being told he had a reservation through expedia, she asked him to give out personal information such as credit card number, first and last name to identify his reservation BEFORE being allowed to enter the hotel. Once he was inside he was told he could not check in. I immediately went inside to see what exactly the problem was I too was asked inappropriate questions through the speaker. When I asked to speak to a manager I was then allowed entry. I was told by both employees Linda and Antoine that we could not check into the hotel until 3pm. I then told them we needed a place that night due to a vacation. They proceeded to talk me into paying an additional $140 to stay for 12 hours. I was told that I could not check in. I then asked if we could sit in the lobby, where there were other people sitting, until we were able to figure out some sort of plan for our sleeping arrangements. I was then told by Linda that we were not allowed to sit in the lobby, that it was hotel policy. Long story short WE SLEPT IN OUR CAR THAT NIGHT. The next day we arrived to the hotel to check into the room that I paid for, could not be refunded, and could not check into until 3pm. I was greeted by Ranjit who was so nice and pleasant. During my check in process I told him about my experience that prior evening and he told me that what happened was not hotel policy. In fact I was told that the two employees could have checked me in at 7am, and that its been done before. I was also told that it was not hotel policy to tell paying patrons with reservations that we were not allowed to sit in the lobby. It then dawned on me that I had been a victim of racial injustice. My fiancee is African American with dredlocks and tattoos, and I am also African American. I felt such disgust towards the employees from the night before. Ranjit made my stay much better with two guest breakfast passes, free parking pass, and a $25 food voucher. He recommended I speak to management. I spoke with the general manager Julie Yeung, who took two weeks to call me back to say that she was sorry but I could not be refunded or given another night credit for what had happened but she offered me a friend's and family rate. I will NEVER stay at that establishment again. I am seeking assistance on this matter currently.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank younggiftedandblack
Julie Y, General Manager at The Westin Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear younggiftedandblack,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Sheraton Crystal City. We very deeply value all our guests’ experiences and certainly do care about the issues you experienced. After carefully looking at your reservation the reason why the night audit staff was not able to accommodate your request for checking in, was due to the fact that you booked a hotel reservation for a day in advance. Therefore in order to have checked you in to our property at 3am we would have had to obtain an additional night of room and tax. As for the comment about our staff, I will investigate the situation with our night audit team to see what exactly happened. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. I do hope we might have another opportunity to be of service. I would encourage you to reach out to me directly as we can readdress the issue.

Kind Regards,
Julie Yeung

Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is one of those places where you can get a great rate on online, but when you get there the hotel will do its utmost to get theirs. Firstly, they charge 22.50 a day for parking, and in a way of explanation the desk personnel stated that "this is Virginia, and that's actually a reasonable rate". Ehm, I'll be the judge of that, please. Secondly they pull $50 a day from your card for incidentals: most places just take the card number, or place a hold on the funds, and release it more or less instantly as you check out: here they actually CHARGE that amount, and issue a refund. 3 to 5 days. No discussion. Other than that the place is clean, and if no one parties in the hallways (the crack under the door is so big you can almost crawl through there) you can get reasonable rest. So other than corporate thuggery, the place is ok (but not 31/2 stars Hotwire gives it) and the one saving grace were the beds: very comfortable, and warm, which was important during the cold snap. We got great sleep there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank kandala
Julie Y, General Manager at The Westin Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Kandala,

Thank you for choosing us during your visit to the DC area. We appreciated your comments regarding our self-parking fee rate of $22.50 for overnight self-parking. I am sorry you were not happy with our fees however they are competitive rates for an urban environment such as Arlington for secure underground parking. However I am happy to hear that you did enjoy our beds which are our signature Sheraton sweet sleepers. Thank you again for staying with us. We hope to see you in the future when your travels bring you back to our area.
Julie Cashin Yeung

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here only for a night during a recent business trip, but was certainly pleased. The location is great and you are only a 2 min walk to the Crystal City metro station. The hotel itself is a bit dated, but the rooms have been re-done. They could use more/faster elevators...there was always a wait for them, regardless of time of day. The executive level lounge was also quite nice. Would stay here again when next in Crystal City area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sted

Dear Sted,

Thank you for sharing such a positive review of your recent stay here at the Sheraton Crystal City.I hope that if your travels bring you back to the DC Metro area that we will have an opportunity to be of service again in the near future.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Two thumbs up to Mr. Ranjit at the front desk for taking great care of me. I was dead out tired when I arrived to the Sheraton Crystal City Hotel but Ranjit checked me in, gave me an extended check out time, and made sure that the maintenance guy came to my room to replace my non-working mini-fridge.

I wasn't able to check out the area surrounding the Sheraton as I only wanted something close to the Reagan Washington National Airport with shuttle service. The king size bed was plush, room was super clean, and the bath tub comes equipped with a Speakman Anystream 2000 shower head. All this plus the deal I got with Priceline made it such a steal.

Room Tip: No issues on the 12th floor. Can't say much about the other floors
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank eatup0
Julie Y, General Manager at The Westin Crystal City, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear eatup0,

Thank you for sharing such a positive review of your recent stay here at the Sheraton Crystal City. We are very glad you enjoyed our hotel. I will pass on to Ranjit, your positive comments regarding his service. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we will have an opportunity to be of service again in the near future. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I was just trying to get to Erie...... But with the winter storms it was never going to happen through my home airport in Atlanta. I made an exciting discovery that there were flights to Detroit through DC so quickly changed my flights and made a quick internet reservation for the Sheraton since they offer an airport shuttle. Alas, my luggage didn't keep up with me and my hotel reservation seemed to vanish, but Jarrell at the front desk reassured me that he would take care of me and sent me with a discount voucher to eat while he worked it out.
Victor at the bar charmed me while commiserating my plight and packed me a picnic breakfast for my 4:30 AM departure. The burger melted in my mouth- the linens in my King room sent me off to sleep in seconds, and it was apparent to me that I must have needed a quick time-out from the stressors of my life- that's why God sent me here!
If you'd like personal, caring attention you should choose this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Peggy T

Dear Peggy T,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Crystal City. Your kind and gracious comments regarding the hotel staff are greatly appreciated. I am truly lucky to have service-oriented professionals like Jarrell on my team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed at this hotel a few times. Everything is favorable in my opinion - including the price when booked thru Priceline. The staff is pleasant, the rooms modern and very comfortable. Parking is expensive but we usually park elsewhere. The location is close to CC metro and shops. The gym has a nice view and several pieces of equipment. The only thing I would complain about is the lack of power outlets, which is an issue in every hotel these days.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank HappyValley1000
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Ranjit, Front Desk, Victor, Bar Tender, and our hotel maid, all contributed to a very welcome stay under the trying circumstances for our reason to be in Arlington. I just want to congratulate the Sheraton on their wonderful staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family