“It's got the basics down well”

The Westin Crystal City
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It's got the basics down well”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Although this hotel is a bit run down, and i didn't find the customer service to be particularly great, it really does have the basics down well. The beds are incredibly comfortable, the coffee in the rooms is good, the gym is nice, strong hair dryer, etc. And of course, the location is great, right next to the metro, and easily walkable to most offices in crystal city.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 26, 2012

On arriving in Washington Dulles I took a taxi to Crystal City. To my dismay we got into traffic jam on the beltway (it was Sunday evening!) – the whole trip took ages and the fare was $75. Being and tired and jetlagged I was really looking forward to crashing into a bed. The first room on the executive floor I was given unfortunately had an air conditioner as loud as a tractor, so I asked for a different room. Luckily, it was possible and soon after I was sleeping comfortably.

However, not for too long: just after midnight the fire alarm went off, so I jumped out the bed and ran 14 floors down to the street. It was drizzly and just above the freezing temperate. The fire department was already there and some 15 minutes later we were allowed back to the rooms (evidentially, it was a false alarm). I report this just for the record, no complaints here – I really don’t want take my chances with fire while I am on the 14th floor.

The rest of my 4-night stay was uneventful.

The hotel is ok and functional but definitely not a contender to win an award for contemporary design. Staff members were friendly and helpful. A big, big plus: a free fast WiFi connection was offered throughout the hotel.

Breakfast and evening snacks in the executive floor lounge were satisfactory. Two PCs in the lounge were connected to the internet (in contrast to the WiFi connection the PC internet connection was painfully slow) and any attempt to open any Word document was blocked by the antivirus program – not very useful at all.

The proximity to the Crystal City metro station (just around the corner) is a big plus and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Oceanside, California, United States
Reviewed January 19, 2012

The customer service was great from the moment I entered until the time I left. Ranjit provided timely, professional, and courteous service. The lady, Saham who worked in the club house and restaurant was friendly and kind. I would love to come back.

Room Tip: There is no pool, but i could not deselect.
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed here last in 2010 when they were going through some reconstruction. I wasn't very impressed then; however with the remodel, I am very please. As platinum member, I was upgraded to the club floor. The lounge area is clean, nice looking with great service; Tessa (sp?) from Eritria was very friendly and cordial. The fitness center is top notch - all new Lifefitness machine with great layout. Very convenient location, 1/2 block to Crystal City Metro.
Check in and check out was a breeze. Hanna at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

If there is any complaint, it is the too much attention from housekeeping. I should leave out my do not disturb sign. Internet is a little slow, but that's expected from all the hotels. I will definitely return here again.

Norfolk
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I had a last minute trip to interview in the Pentagon. I arrived very late at night, and the guest services person who checked me in, Ranzy(sp?), was wonderful! He got my room set up quickly, but as soon as he realized I was there for an interview the next morning, he thoroughly addressed all my needs very kindly, efficiently, and professionally. No detail was beneath him, and he really made a frantic, stressful trip very enjoyable. He set me up as a preferred guest, gave me a voucher for breakfast in the morning, advised me of the best way into the Pentagon, provided a map of Crystal City and the Meto stop, a map of the Metro system, gave me a late checkout so I would not have to worry about checking out before my interview, assisted me with the parking attendant, and even carried my bags inside!! His service was extraordinary, and Sheraton/Starwood has a new fan of their hotels and service!!! He should be commended!

Room Tip: The standard room was top of the line, clean, modern, and wonderful!
1 Thank Kelly B
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I've been staying in DC at least twice a month for the last en years and this is the hotel I always try to book first.

2 Thank hallml
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 14, 2012

This is our hotel of choice when we're visiting friends in D.C. We've stayed here 3 times. First, the location can't be beat. It's literally two stops away on the metro and because it's so close to a metro station, you can go downtown and to the sites very easily. Plus there are plenty of restaurants in the neighborhood, should you decide to eat locally.

The rooms are spacious and clean, but I do agree with some of the other reviewers; some areas would use a little refreshing. The staff is very friendly as well. The last time we were there, the bartender remembered us from our trip last year!

One draw back is that there isn't a Starbucks or small cafe on site. You'll need to go over to the metro station if you want to pick up a morning pastry or use room service.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple