“Great Location, Nice Hotel, but Probably Overpriced” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast & Parking
Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Salt Lake City, UT
“Great Location, Nice Hotel, but Probably Overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

We stayed here for three nights in the middle of February. My wife and I both went to Georgetown and were back in town to catch some basketball games and see a bunch of old friend. We've never stayed in a Ritz-Carlton before. We usually stay in a Hilton or Hyatt or something along that level. However, the prices for rooms this weekend in DC were high, and there was a great deal at the Ritz, so I decided to splurge to see what it was like.

Location - you can't beat this location, especially if you're going to be taking the Metro anywhere. The entrance to the station is litertally right outside the front door. Plus, the hotel is connected to the Pentagon City Mall with its own keycard entrance. Also, there are shops and restaurants right across the street. Granted, Pentagon City is not the lively place, but it's easy to get anywhere in the DC/Northern Virginia area. In fact, we had a car (we were driving up the coast later that week) and hopping on the freeway was a breeze. There is charge for valet parking (like most places) but the service was quick and the car always ready.

Room - we had a basic room with a king bed. It was clean and in good shape, but nothing more than I would expect at any other decent hotel. From the bed to the desk to the TV to furniture to the bathroom, I'm really not sure why one pays a premium for a Ritz room, other than the name. Bed was very comfortable. There was a safe and cash mini bar. Internet service worked fine, but cost. We were on a middle floor and had a view of the top of the mall.

Dining - only had sunday breakfast at the Fyve restaurant. A friend staying there had it included in his package and I ate free. Excellent food and choice. It was a buffet setup with high quality meats, cheeses, fruits, grain products, etc. You could get an omelet cooked to order. Also, the waitstaff brought juices, bread products, etc. Excellent meal and worth the price (if I'd been paying).

Service - this is where you'll notice a difference from other hotel. Opening your car door for you, opening the door to the hotel, stocking your car with bottled water, bellboy up to your room, offering to get your ice, etc. turndown service, etc. However, for someone not quite used to such attention, it could be unnerving.

Overall - very good hotel. No complaints, but it the value just didn't seem to be there.

• 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank kchoya

cjsmithnj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

Our recent saty at the Pentagon City Ritz Carlton is the latest of numerous stays. We had one experience that was not to standard about 3 years ago- they corrected the problem after it was brought to their attention, everything has been perfect with our stays since. Service is typical Ritz Carlton, the hotel isn't as pleasing to the eye from the outside as it is attached to a shopping center, but inside it is everything you would expect. Metro access is in the lowest lever of the mall so getting anywhere in DC is a breeze. The food in the lounge and dining room is excellent, although I miss the more formal "Grill", the decor is modern and foor and service was great.

Odenton, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for Valentine's day weekend 2009. The location is excellent and centrally located. It is attached to the Pentagon City mall and across the street from multiple restaurants and shops. This is a small hotel and is easily passed by if you are not looking for it. The front desk staff during our stay seemed rather inexperienced and took far too long to handle requests. My husband had reserved a suite for the weekend and we were fairly unimpressed with the overall quality of the room. While it was very clean, the room lacked the typical Ritz feel and needed an overhaul. Our suite was connected to two other suites on each side and thus, very loud. In fact we could hear our neighbors conversations as if they were in the next room. We later found out that all suites are interconnected. The room was not prepared for our arrival and the amenities that my husband had ordered were not waiting for us as they usually are. They had even forget to add the additional pillows that I always request. This was a very busy weekend and I am understanding of that. However, they should have had a more experienced and professional front desk staff on hand if they expected an almost full house. After two hours of conversation with the front desk, during which my husband asked to simply be taken out of our suite and put into another standard room, we were accommodated. We were moved to a regular room but, on the club floor. The club floor rooms were more appealing and were completely quiet, no adjoining rooms. When we arrived back at our room after dinner they finally had our amenities waiting for us. The club floor lounge was wonderful and the food and presentation were terrific. Brunch the following morning in Fyve was exceptional and the service was top notch. Overall we had a great nights sleep and a lovely stay. However, we did have about two hours of conversation with the front desk staff before they took care of our situation and apologized. In our past experiences with the Ritz we have encountered much better customer service and a all together better attitude. I would not suggest staying in the suites unless you need one to accommodate your traveling group. We were shown to an additional suite which smelled horribly of smoke and was just as loud and unattractive as our previous one. All this said, we did end up having a very nice time once we got past our initial issues. In fact, the brunch and club floor were so impressive that we are returning with family and friends to celebrate my sister's birthday here this year with a weekend long celebration.

New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

This was a generally nice, clean hotel-about what I would expect from a nice Marriott or Hotel. Would *never* expect it to be of Ritz-Carlton standards. Generally was treated ok...nothing super special but not bad either. Using the elevator is really annoying-you have to insert a room key to get to your floor. Great for late night security, but at prime times when the elevator is packed it makes for a zoo in the elevator with everyone trying to get there room keys in the slot before the door closes or risk not getting to their floor. Many, many times I had to ride the elevator up, then down, then back up again to get to my floor. Generally hotel was clean, but the towels were surprisingly *really* itchy and scratchy, likely from tons of bleach being used to make them so white. They really need new ones. Decor is generally pretty good-but more along the lines of a Marriott or Hilton than a Ritz Carlton. If I didn't know better from all the branding, I would never know it's a Ritz. The worst part is the nickle-and-dimed atmosphere you are in, which can get really annoying after awhile. Wireless internet outrageously expensive.

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

Typical Ritz-Carlton service. Complimentary business cards upon arrival, etc. We ordered a 3:30 am breakfast before a 6:00 am flight and it was perfect. They provided complimentary chocolate covered strawberries and arranged to have my rental car returned to the airport. The rooms were average though. Amenities were in order (towels, robes, etc), but it didn't scream Ritz-Carlton. At the same time, the price was perfect. The location is a bit obscure if you are driving and unfamiliar with the area, but it is close to the airport, mall, and access to DC is incredibly easy. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a Ritz-Carlton experience for a reasonable price.

• Liked — Service Service Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

Wow! What a great DC area hotel! My husband and I live outside of the DC area and we like to go to DC restaurants, shop, see museums, etc. while in DC. We like to stay at a hotel and make a whole weekend out of it. We have stayed at a number of DC hotels: Rtiz Tysons (our absolute least, least favorite in the world, literally), Ritz Georgetown (very nice and cozy, boutique hotel set-up, nice people), Ritz DC (very nice, also very nice people), and DC Four Seasons. Four Seasons is usually our favorite in any city, but the DC property is just OK......we have stayed at the Four Seasons DC property several times and some people are really nice, but some people are rude. Anyway, so back to the Ritz Carlton Pentagon City, here are the pros and cons:
1) Great Service!! Consistent and everyone was really, really nice and very attentive!
2) Nice rooms
3) Food is yummy
4) Loved the club level
5) Metro stop is RIGHT THERE! (blue and yellow lines). It's literally just caddy corner from the hotel, you don't even have to cross the street. Huge plus.
6) Hotel is connected to some nice shopping (no high end stores, but still a very nice mall)

Cons:
1) The indoor pool was a little dirty. I swam in it, but my husband didn't want to because he saw a glob of hair floating around. Looking back on it, the pool water did feel a little slimy coming out. Oh well, I lived.
2) I have no other cons!!

• Liked — Location to metro.
  • Disliked — Pool, but I still liked it. They just need to keep it more clean!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank lotsofbites
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip back in November, 2008. The overall stay was excellent although there were a few hiccups that were rectified by the hotel. I got there Saturday around 1 pm and was checked in right away and given a room on the 7th floor. Not much of a view unless you are one of those people that enjoy looking at a mall roof. The room was small but well furnished. The bathroom had a tub, which I would have never used and no TV (some people do like to catch up on the morning news while in the bathroom). Since the hotel was remodeled recently, I would have thought that the bathrooms would have been more modern, or at least have a separate shower. Since this was a business trip, an internet connection was essential. The hotel charges about 12 dollars for 24 hours which is not ridiculous but not exactly cheap considering how much the hotel costs per night.
We had breakfast in the hotel every morning which costs an average of $60 for two people (and no, we did not eat an absurd amount, just one order per person). I did not eat any other meal at the restaurant given the cost of breakfast and potential cost of a dinner (about $100+ pp).
The hotel is connected to the Fashion Center which is just a glorified mall, think Short Hills or the Beverly Center but for the middle class. The stores were a mixture of higher end department stores and mid range cookie cutter stores. There was a tourneau in the mall that had an anemic selection of higher end watches and catered more towards the mall clientele (Lots of Raymond Weil and the like). There was a food court in the mall that we ate in once (that was enough for us not to go back). Across the street was a best buy, borders and Costco. But enough about the mall and back to the hotel.
The location of the hotel is fantastic for people that want easy access to DC (metro is literally at the doorsteps) but also want to come back to a quieter area at the end of the day.
The area that the hotel shined was the excellent staff. We made a few requests and had some questions, all of which were accommodated with a smile. The wait staff for breakfast were extremely polite, often ending requests with a "my pleasure" (Let's be serious, it is not your pleasure to get me coffee or to bring me my pancakes while I sit there giving you my order).
We had a problem with a portion of the bill and it took one phone call to the operator to resolve the billing issue.
Check out was painless and my car was waiting for us when we got outside. Overall, a great trip.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank SL_NYC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arlington
Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City
Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport
Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel
Residence Inn Arlington Capital View
Hampton Inn & Suites Reagan National Airport

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City? Share your experiences!