“Ups and Downs!”

Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Goochland, Virginia
“Ups and Downs!”
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

This will be an unique review so please read on! Being a Marriott Lifetime Platinum Member I've experienced a long list of problems while staying at Marriott properties. However, in the vast majority of cases the issues where handled satisfactorily. This was my first stay at a Ritz and I was looking forward to the experience based upon the upscale name recognition. I was greeted cordially when I drove into the entrance given a parking receipt and my luggage was brought into the registration desk. The hotel registration clerk was very pleasant and explained that "no, you do not have access to the concierge lounge". And went on to explain it is available for $100. Well that went over well. I then asked if there was a pool, whirlpool and exercise room and the response was "yes". Having knee surgery I look forward to the benefits of a whirlpool. I received my key and headed to my king room on the 14th floor. Upon entering I was instantly struck with a strong chemical odor which was most likely a cleaning solution. I turned on the AC and let it run hoping the offending odor went away. Well, after allowing ample time no luck. I called the front desk and voiced the issue and they kindly gave me a larger room on the 15th floor without the odor. Then I headed down to the 3rd floor to relax in the whirlpool to find there is no whirlpool! I'm getting a bit concerned here. Morning came and I headed down for breakfast to be greeted by no one. Finally I got the attention of a server who said to sit wherever I would like and he would be right back. Fifteen minutes pass and again no one comes over to take my order and I'm about ready to walk out and hit Duncan Donuts. Finally, another server sees that no one has taken my order and apologizes. The breakfast was fine as well as the service once I was noticed. Things are looking up! Well, no. I enter the elevator to return to my room and the elevator begins the slow journey upward and begins to jerk, shake, stop and start finally abruptly stopping somewhere near the 4th floor and the doors would not open. For 10 minutes I tried about everything inserting my key hitting the variety of elevator buttons to no avail. So, stuck in their elevator. I decide to try the phone in the elevator and miraculously someone from the front desk picked up. I explained that I was calling from their elevator, stuck, they replied that they would call someone to get me out. I waited for awhile and nothing. I decided to try to pry the doors apart and it worked. The elevator was about a foot below the 4th floor. So I stepped up and was able to find a working elevator and safely made it back to my room. When I left my room to check out there was another gentleman waiting to go down to the 1st floor. We waited over 15 minutes depressing the down button numerous times and nothing. Finally we tried the up button which did the trick. So we went "up to go down"! A unique experience without question. Would I stay here again? Don't think so! I'm sure most patrons here are not as unlucky as I was. Life is full of choices...

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Terry B
Tod M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Terry B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Trip Advisor. Needless to say, I am disappointed with the experience that we provided to you as a first time guest. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your visit. Feedback is very important to us, so if you could afford the time, I can be reached directly at 703-4152-2778 or at tod.morrow@ritzcarlton.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Doha
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I have never reviewed anything my life. The service in this hotel was so awesome that I felt like I owed it to them.

When I arrived at the hotel, my card didn't work so I couldn't pay the taxi. The hotel fronted me the money and we're very nice about it. Frank* at the reception told me a story about when he went out and his card didn't work either and that genuinely made the experience much less awkward.

Every single person at the hotel went out of their way to make me feel welcome. Room service was fast, housekeeping is great, the location is perfect. I needed to buy video games for my little brother, jewelry for my girlfriend and a bunch of other stuff: all available in the attached mall.

I'm leaving now after only 4 days in the hotel but it feels like I'm leaving home.

* Frank for president. He remembered my name after only having seen it on the first day (and I have a difficult name), great personality and on my last day told me that the cab ride was on them. If anyone from management is reading this then this guy has to be promoted. You're in trouble if he leaves.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear AlRush,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments on Trip Advisor. We work very hard to deliver the feeling of a "home away from home." It is gratifying to read about your experience as it conveys the positive outcome of our commitment to service training. I am very fortunate to have Frank on our team. He is an outstanding hospitality professional and we all appreciate the work he does. I will be certain to share your comments in our weekly staff meeting. Again, my thanks to you for taking the time to leave your feedback. If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please contact me directly at 703-412-2778 or at tod.morrow@ritzcarlton.com.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 27, 2014

For the business or leisure traveler this hotel is the best choice in the Capital Region. Access to National Airport and Metro couldn't be easier. My stay started with the warmest welcome I have ever received at any hotel thanks to Mr. Mahmoud. You expect a certain standard at a Ritz-Carlton. Mr. Mahmoud and the entire staff exceeds it. Excellent food on the property and dozens of other dining options within a short walk. In addition to the usual fitness center, there's a pool and sauna, something few hotels in the area have. Superb housekeeking, well appointed rooms and comfortable beds made for great night's sleep after a busy day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank John F
Dear JF Seattle,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our property with the Trip Advisor Community! We also feel that our location and proximity to the Metro Line allow us to offer a tremendous value when visiting the Washington DC area. I am very fortunate to work with Khaled who is an outstanding hospitality professional. I will share your feedback in our weekly staff meeting as I know he will appreciate your comments very much. Thank you again for your feedback. If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please contact me directly at 703-412-2778 or at tod.morrow@ritzcarlton.com.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I am fortunate to travel and stay in nice hotels...after a while one bedroom or a marble bathroom all seem the same so its the small things that make it diiferent and this hotel is about service. Always a welcome from the doorman, doors opened for you by staff saying welcome back..even breakfast which in hotels the worlds over can be a scrum was civilised and welcoming. Its a comfortable nice hotel with an attached Mall, Pentagon Row nearby for restaurants and clean pleasant rooms with Frette linen and Asprey toiletries. Ritz Carlton s are always reliable and a hallmark for quality..after a 14 hour inbound from Dubai this hotel hit the spot. Well done

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times while traveling for business and this time brought the family with. As always, we received fabulous customer service. One of the main reasons I return. We wish to thank everyone at the Ritz for helping make our stay in DC so great. The hotel is close to the metro, making it very easy to get around. But also attached to the mall should you have forgotten something or just want to shop. There are several restaurants close by, as well as a grocery store. The club level offers just about everything one could want and the room service food was very good. We enjoyed our stay and once again, a special thanks to Khaled, Frank, Bethel, Rashid, Sonja, Mulu and everyone else whose names I have forgotten!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Karla S
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We were here for a quick 2-day trip to see the cherry blossoms. The hotel is convenient to the metro, is clean and well-appointed, and the service has been excellent. In particular, our bellhop went over and above, going back down to the lobby to get tourist information for us, as well as recognizing us the next day and engaging us in conversation (recommending more for us to see). The maids have been excellent, providing extra towels, waters, etc. The Ritz has exceeded our expectations.

Stayed April 2014
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was my first time staying at the Ritz and I can honestly say it was the best hotel experience my husband and I have ever had. We travel frequently and usually stay at 4+ star hotels, this one was by far the best! The staff was super helpful and kind. The room was SUPER clean and the attention to details was great. The Ritz may be a little pricier but after a day of sightseeing it was nice to come back to such a wonderful room. The room service food was delicious. The bar/restaurant was a little pricey but again well worth it for a vacation!The location could not have been better. It was the perfect place to stay. We even had friends who live local meet us there fro drinks and they loved it too!

Room Tip: We had just a regular room and it was very nice.