“Met my expectations for a Ritz Carlton”

The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed March 15, 2013

In short, if you have work in VA but your partner, spouse, kids are with you and they want to do the tourist thing in DC - this is the prefect high end hotel. Not trendy, not modern but up to date, fresh and comfortable.

This was not my first choice but it worked out best since I was there for work in Alexandria and the boyfriend was going to do the tourist thing in DC while I worked. Somehow we got a corner room at the hotel with a good view (could see the pentagon). The hotel is located so close to the metro you can literally throw a stone and hit it from the front door. The staff was friendly and generally helpful (although I did call down on two occasions and was told that we'd get a call back but didn't.) There were very minor problems with the room 1) one of the phones didn't work (someone prior to me got to agressive with unplugging it and as a result it no longer would stay plugged in.) 2) the water pressure in the shower was too low and the sink drain plug wouldn't stay up so we had to reach in to pull it up for the sink to drain (yuck). 3) I noticed only because I had to pick up something off the floor that under the dresser was an unopened pack of coffee and a swizzle stick that had probably been there since before we checked in (had fallen down the back out of reach of the vacuum). And on the last day the toilet only did very weak flushes (would not have passed the golf ball flush test from that toilet commercial). I know all this sounds bad but it was REALLY a very pleasant stay. I'd definitely go back. Those things were minor and to be honest we didn't ask for any of them to be fixed (didn't complain). The turn down service was fantastic (free bottled water replaced twice a day - LOVED that.). The hotel itself in a perfect location and the staff helpful when needed but not constantly there when not needed. My boyfriend forgot his umbrella and they liberally loaned them out to us. Apples by the front door. Choice of newspapers delivered. Coffee and tea too downstairs and in the room. Comfy robes. All the tourist buses pick up steps from the hotel which is super convenient. I spent an entire morning and afternoon working in the room and the maid was awesome - she cleaned quietly around me and asked my permission before she turned on the vacuum cleaner. Saw her several times. She seemed like a lovely person.

I highly recommend this hotel at a 4.5.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I decided to take a weekend close home and stay at the Ritz. Very good service and the room was fantastic. I appreciated that the staff called us by name and was very attentive. If you are visiting the area, the location is excellent with the subway system near by taking you into the city. It is located within a high end mall, where you can also do shopping. The surrounding area has plenty of places to eat so you are not limited to the food court in the mall or the dining at the hotel. The bed was very comfortable, and a very welcoming room. We ordered room service for breakfast, and that would be the only minus I would have. The food wasn't as good as I expected for the Ritz. If I have the opportunity, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YDM425
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I came to the Ritz Pdntagon City for five nights to attend a class. We stayed on the club level & I reccomend it! All the Ladies & Gentleman of the Ritz Carlton made our experience great, but I must give a shout out to Farida, Sonia & Babou in the club lounge. They took amazing care of us and they are great people. They truly have the heart to serve built into their DNA. We walked to the Pentagon 9-11 memorial and easily took the metro to the city. This is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel was the perfect location. The metro is connected to the hotel which made traveling very easy. There is also a mall for any last minute items. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to DC.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marcus W
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Had a good two night stay here, close to airport close to city. My first time here, I expected the Ritz to be more upscale as I have experienced at other properties. Staff is very helpful, knowledgeable… But sometimes there are just too many employees to say good morning to... Doorman, bellman, second doorman, front desk staff, security man, etc. Lobby is now being renovated. Rooms are spacious, very clean, and bedding is fine but the mattress was fairly old. My impression is this Ritz is much more like a very nice Marriott than a typical Ritz Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Bobcubed
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed here one night recently to attend a dinner in Arlington. The hotel's proximity to the DC Metro system was wonderful -- it is literally right outside the door -- so getting into DC to do some site seeing was very easy. The hotel itself and the room was classy. The service was professional and helpful. The bar service was quite slow -- but they made up for it by not charging us! The hot cidar in the lobby after a chilly day of site seeing was a very nice touch. We didn't really make use of the shopping opporunity -- but there was a huge indoor shopping mall attached to the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

My first time at a Ritz Carlton (pentagon city). We were welcomed (about 5pm) by a very professional staff, and jack hammering in the lobby. Talk about loud. Seems I have all the luck! Really, I thought the hotel would be bit nicer. Though its location to (attached) the mall and next to the pentagon row, a bunch of restaurants was convenient, the hotel was in terms of condition 'ok'. Info- breakfast menu = $$$$$

The Irish pub at pentagon row has awesome steak! 11 out of 10 !

• Stayed: February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arlington
Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Dupont Circle
The Hay-Adams
The Hay-Adams
#5 of 142 in Washington DC

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City? Share your experiences!