“Interesting Brunch Experience”

The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed March 11, 2012

A get together by a dozen or so folks for brunch had an interetsing twist to it. We were directed to the brunch line and were greeted by a fine assortment of salads, meats, fish, shrimp, crab claws, beef, chicken, and and omelette stand. In the meanwhile champagne and orange juice were provided for all of our party.

Following our first course, our waiter passed out menus containing additional entrees including breakfast staples such as eggs benedict, steak, French Toast, crabcakes, etc.

Who knew? Thie brunch was the closest thing to a sea cruise meal I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jrjojo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,659)

Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stayed here rather than the preferred hotel for a conference that I was attending in the local area.

Bottom line up front. This hotel offered and delivered on better, larger rooms and an excellent gym and pool in comparison to most other hotels in the area. In particular it was much better than any of the other Marriott brand hotels. The per diem was the same as for the Marriott hotels in the immediate vicinity.

The welcome throughout my 5 night stay was always very courteous and professional, from check-in through to check-out.

The room was very pleasant, with a good sized workspace and a very comfortable bed. Everything was to the standard that one would expect from this brand. The bathroom reflected this with spotless attention to detail by the cleaning staff.

The gym and pool facilities were of an excellent standard, including a wide variety of equipment and plenty of space. The changing rooms and other facilities were of fitness club standards, and the pool was a 15m lap pool not a novelty shaped splash pool. The only thing missing was a whirlpool or hot-tub for relaxing after a workout.

The hotel is very well located, with a wide variety of shops and restaurants right on the doorstep. A Starbucks is just downstairs from the Mall exit, which makes for economy on the breakfast and coffee front if so desired. eating in the restaurant is not overly expensive for a Ritz-Carlton, but there is a very wide variety of good cheaper in very close proximity if hotel dining is too expensive or not your thing.

The hotel is extremely convenient for a number of key locations including the Pentagon.
Washington Reagan airport is 5 minutes away by cab, and there is a Metro station directly underneath the hotel. The connection time into central DC is only 10 minutes once onboard a train.

Whilst I was present for a conference in Arlington, I would happily use this hotel as my base for visiting downton DC either on business or for pleasure. Overall a very impressive stay. This is a Ritz-Carlton in Arlington and not the Bahamas or London, and the drab location is not a reflection on the hotel which seems to confuse some people when writing their reviews.

Room Tip: Enjoy breakfast in the Starbucks just inside the Mall from the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank pzfus
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I would highly recommend a stay at this property. The service is first and foremost amazing! The management is to be commended on how well the employees treat their guests. We booked a room on the Club Lounge floor and found this to be an excellent choice. The Club lounge offered presentations throughout the day and we found all the choices to be superb. We also enjoyed breakfast in their restaurant as well as dinner. We had a room that had nice views of the Pentagon. The mall is attached to the hotel which made shopping very convenient. The metro is situated right across the street. We were here on business, and have had to stay in several other DC hotels, but found this one to be our favorite. I would have rated this a 5 star, but as I have said with several of my other reviews, unless a property is perfection, I never rate a 5 star status. However this is a 4 plus!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My friend and I met for a social breakfast, and we were both impressed by the service. From walking in the front door, warmly greeted by every Ritz Carlton associate, to being addressed multiple times by name in the restaurant, we were impressed. The service was just the right amount of attentiveness. Our coffee was never cold, we did not need to ask for anything since almost every request was anticipated by waitstaff. The eggs benedict with crab was heavenly and the egg and tomato sandwich looked wonderful. The portions were generous and cooked to perfection. Yes, it was an expensive breakfast, but the quality of the food, the beautiful setting, and the superior service prompted this frugal diner to tip a full 20% as it was well deserved. Will definitely return to dine again. Best part? We stayed for a very long time, about three hours, and we were never asked to leave or pressured to depart our table. Now that is hospitality!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in January for our anniversary. Some of the hotel staff were really great especially Ali at the front desk,but we were treated like garbage by the manager (Edward at Fyve). We asked for a table and his response, in a very condesending tone was we could see there were empty tables and walked away! This was during their happy hour, so it was obviously a full lounge. Having stayed at Four Seasons, Trump International and a host of other four & five star hotels, I was appalled that we would be treated this way! We had planned a family dinner for eight which we immediately cancelled. I couldn't stand the thought of my family being treated as though we were here to beg! Totally ruined our anniversary! I expressed my sentiments on the comment card, received an email asking me for my phone number so they could speak to me, but never got a call. The last straw was when I called to find ask for some items we had left forgot, so we could have them mailed to us, but I was told they donate the unclaimed items that have been there for a month to the housekeeper that found them! Really?? So someone is wearing my wife's $500 sweater because the hotel staff didn't have the decency to call or email us (since they have our phone number and email on file)? When I asked why they didn't reach out to us, the response was...well,we don't know who comes here with a person who is not his spouse! This is totally offensive and should never come from a staff member at the Ritz! Unacceptable!!!

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade and get a suite, well worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank WellTravelled572
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed here for two nights during a weekend. As a family, with two small children (7&9), we really appreciated being so close to the different food options. The mall offered great shopping as well. The location of being on the Metro line meant that we did not need our car during our time in Washington. The pool at the Ritz was in excellent condition and at a perfect temperature. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We had a lovely view of the Pentagon.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Location, location,location. Metro,shopping and food all nearby. Overpriced so look for days that Washington is sleeping and rates drop. Beds and pillows best amenities, slept so soundly that I thought I was the only one in the hotel. Only complaint not really inviting to single traveler. Look forward to returning.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo