“First Stay @ Ritz Carlton. . .Loved It”

The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
MD
“First Stay @ Ritz Carlton. . .Loved It”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This was my first stay at the Ritz Carlton. . .we loved it. I was traveling for pleasure with my husband and two children. Close to all of the action and attached to a shopping Center. We ended our long weekend with a Sunday brunch at their resturant. . .pricey, but worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I've stayed three times at this property and was finally compelled to write a review since every stay was marred by a less-than-stellar customer service performance. During my first stay, at 10 AM on the day of check-out, and even though I had the "privacy" tag on my door, housekeeping knocked and asked what time I would be leaving. This was totally inappropriate and I felt rushed to check out. Also apparently "privacy" means nothing to housekeeping.

During my second stay, someone knocked at the door. Within seconds, and before I had a chance to open the door, a man entered and, even though he saw me there, asked if he could check the mini bar. I must add that I was in my pajamas and did't even have a chance to get my robe.

The last stay was the most annoying. Two doors down was a dog that barked for hours and hours. All I was trying to do was a have a relaxing afternoon to read a book and rest. I contacted the front desk and nothing was done. After dinner, the dog was barking again. I contacted the front desk again. Their solution was that I move. I don't see why I have to move when it is this one dog that is bothering all of the guests on the floor. Even the room service attendant acknowledged that the dog would not stop barking. Needless to say it was a restless evening with little sleep.

When I checked out all three times, I noted what had happened on each occasion. The only response got from the front desk was a perfunctory "I'm sorry" but the expression on the face of reception was "Please go away now." I didn't even get an offer of a free drink or meal or anything for all the inconvenience. I would not have used it - it's just the principle of it that matters.

I've stayed in other Ritz Carltons and have had amazing service. This Ritz Carlton is a Ritz in name only. The service needs much improvement. I will never stay at this property again. For great customer service, try the Sofitel in Washington, DC. It may cost a little more, but it's well worth the money.

I do want to end on a positive note - I've eaten at the restaurant (Fyve) and have a had a nice experience every time. The gym attendant was very helpful and room service is always prompt and polite. If only reception, housekeeping and other staff would take cues from them.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
NY
Reviewed July 29, 2011

very nice hotel. Fantastic staff. Big clean room with excellent lounge. Plenty of good food choices just behind hotel in pentagon row and a 5 minute walk to the pentagon.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We arrived at the hotel in a rain storm on a Friday afternoon - greeted in RC fashion and whisked through check-in to our room. Weekender rate w/ breakfast!! What a bargain for this beautiful hotel. Our room was perfect and exceptionally clean and tidy every day. This was a perfect location for sightseeing - we just crossed the street and were at the Metro, but one morning when it was too hot, our taxi ride to the Capitol was only $12.00. Don't be fooled by staying in-town, this was a great find just across the Potomac! Thanks to the best Concierge, George for helping me choose a great restaurant for my family after the Kennedy Center concert. We will come again, in fact, I never wanted to leave!!

Bettembourg, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Stayed Friday thru Sunday in a very nice room on the 17th floor. The room is perfectly appointed on every aspect. Wifi at a price. Breakfast buffet in restaurant, Fyve, was very pleasant, but pricey. Enjoyed tea and cherry cheesecake with pistachio cream in the evening... superb cheesecake. Lounge is pleasant... just did not feel the flat screen tvs were a good addition to the room. Guests can use their room key to enter the hotel on the second level of the adjoining shopping center. There is a metro entrance in front of the hotel. One can take an escalator to ground level and be in the front outside of the hotel (escalator is left of the mall entrance doors) or go through the mall and enter as previously mentioned. The front desk staff are very pleasant and accommodating. The male Concierge is very helpful while the woman is rather brusque. Restaurant staff are all very nice and will do whatever it takes to ensure you are having a nice experience.

The Metro station has the blue and yellow lines. The yellow line is the shortest distance into the city, but both do not take long... once the train actually arrives and is moving. We did find that we had to wait about 15 minutes for the trains (weekend) and the cars were very
crowded. The system is easy to use, but it does involve a good deal of time waiting on the platform.... some platforms were crazy crowded. Still, we would stay at the Ritz Pentagon City again despite having to wait for trains.

Tip for a great Sunday: attend the 10:30am service at St. Johns Church at Lafayette Square (across from the front side of the White House) and the have brunch across the street at the lobby restaurant in the Hay Adams Hotel (less priced lunch menu served in lower level restaurant too). Every President has attended the church... small plaque at last pew right entry was where Abraham Lincoln sat many Sundays). http://www.stjohns-dc.org/

Also, Paul Bakery is a nice spot for a artisan sandwich, pastry and espresso coffee! Located at 801 Pennsylvania Avenue NW at the Archives Navy Memorial Metro Station. http://www.paul-usa.com/

The hotel provided us with a copy of the Where magazine. We found a guide called NOW that was much smaller in size and had better information. There is a free app called Now Washington DC Guide too. http://www.nowguides.com/dining/get-now-on-your-iphone-and-ipad/ download the app then download the current issue to your device so you do not need Internet connection to view. FYI: free wireless connectivity is available throughout the mall.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bette M
San Francisco
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Lovely hotel, as you would expect. The gym was fantastic, although the pool is a little short for lap swimming and a little deep for non-swimming kids. We had room service breakfast only and it was OK - pricey and had that "sitting around for while" look and flavor.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Being opposite the metro was handy - we could be downtown within a few minutes.

oklahoma city
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Wonderful location with the best club floor of any hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arlington
Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
#64 of 140 in Washington DC
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,454 reviews
Upper Northwest
Willard InterContinental Washington

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City? Share your experiences!