“Enjoyed our stay.” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Enjoyed our stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed 5 nights last week at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City while I attended a conference at the hotel. We enjoyed our stay. When we checked in, we asked for one of the renovated rooms and were told that all of the room renovations have been completed. We also asked for a bathroom with a bath tub, so we were given the room at the end of the hall of the 6th floor, which I think was larger than most rooms.
During our stay, we ate lunch twice at the Cinnabar restaurant. They have a nice lunch buffet with made-to-order stir fry for $16. We also ate dinner at the Chesapeake Grill and the Lobbibar. The food was good, but somewhat expensive.
The staff were all very nice at check-in and check-out. The concierge booked a Washington DC twilight bus tour for us which picked us up at the hotel. We also made use of the hotel's free airport shuttle to Reagan National and the shuttle to the Metro stop at Crystal City.
There were only a couple things we did not like about the hotel. The TV did make a loud, annoying sound when it was turned on and off, and the housekeeping service seemed slow. One day our room was skipped entirely by housekeeping.
The hotel has a beautiful atrium and three of the six elevators are glass-enclosed. Overall, it is a lovely hotel, but a little bit on the expensive side for us.

• Liked — Lovely room and hotel
  • Disliked — Housekeeping was slow
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank VacationAnne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toledo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

I recently spent 4 nights in late March at this hotel. I really enjoyed my stay and the service, for the most part was top notched. The property is very close to National airport and also offers shuttle service, which begins from the hotel at 5:30am. The hotel also shuttles guests to the nearby Crystal City subway stop.

Located in Arlington, VA, this property is in a good location. There are many great restaurants close by, including one of my favorites – Coldstones. Within ½ mile there is a small shopping centre (restaurants, grocery store, TJ Maxx, best Buy, etc.) and within a five minute walk is the Crystal City subway stop, which is one stop way from the Pentagon City Mall. From here you can get to pretty much anywhere of interest in the DC area.

The hotel appears to be recently refurbished and my guest room was amazing. Every item – accessories and furniture – (bed, shower, desk, chair, paintings) were classy and updated. The room even had a very comfortable sofa by the window at which a guest can relax, enjoy the lovely views and/or tv (32” LCD). I have to make a special comment about the TV. Of all the high price-point hotels I have stayed at in the last 18 or so months, this is the first that did not offend with those horrible, cheap, and out-dated 27” Phillips tube tvs.

The only things worth noting are: 1) you have to request in-room coffee makers, which tehy happily supply with all the fixings, and 2) the housekeeping staff was very slow in cleaning the rooms; a guest could still be waiting 3 – 3:30pm, which I think is outrageous.

• Liked — the quality of the room
  • Disliked — slow housekeeping
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank psu0904
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

Stayed there because my husband was staying there for a business forum. Staff was very friendly and eager to help. Renovated room was on the small side. Bathroom was very small with a single sink AND the shower has only 1/2 a glass wall. On the cold side with no complete enclosure. No bathmat provided but shower floor wasn't slippery. Large shower head was nice. Room vent shot air directly onto us and it was very uncomfortable and irritating. TV plays a LOUD muscial tone whenever it is turned on or off (very annoying!). Our king bed was comfortable. Very dusty items in the room were the light fixtures, tissue box top and the top of the toilet lid. Our 12th floor hallway looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. My husband tried to use their ATM machine twice and it was empty. He had to trek across the street to another hotel to get money. Free airport shuttle is nice and taxi cabs are always out front for your convenience. Pretty hotel with friendly people but I prefer more space and luxury.

• Liked — friendly staff and taxi cabs always available
  • Disliked — air vent blowing directly on me
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ConnecticutJo
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2007

Stayed here for a conference in March 2007. Rooms are very confortable & clean. I'm always amazed at how hotels manage to effectively / efficiently utilize space while also making it inviting. The bed was awesome - very comfy, lots of pillows. Flat screen tv was great too. My room had a shower which was only half enclosed with a glass wall - very big and cool (zen-like). In house restaurants were expensive, but just a short walk away (23rd street) is a strip of restaurants - all of which are delicious & varied.

• Liked — Great rooms
  • Disliked — Not much available in the immediate area
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Steffie326
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2007

The hotel was overall very nice.

When we arrived at the hotel, parking was only available for valet. This was very disappointing. It cost around 30 dollars, and whenever we were waiting for our car to return, we waited for about an hour.

Checkin was terrible. We waited in line would about 30 minutes. The kiosk was so slow that we had to give up and wait in line.

The hallways were so depressing. It was like the renovation took place in the rooms but the charm of the rooms were taken away from the halls and lobby.

However, when we arrived in the room, it was absolutely gorgeous. The rooms were small, but certainly size isn't everything. Every piece of furniture was replaced by new ones.

The restaurant was great on the highest floor. However, althought the food was decent, the prices were even higher than that of the Ritz-Carlton in Pentagon City. Certainly it is not worth it to eat at the restaurant.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank zhangpianist
massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2007

Stayed here during a conference at the beginning of Feb. Loved it. Room was on the 14th floor and was recently renovated, very clean, nice size.....bed was extremely comfortable....great flat screen TV. Staff was courteous and very helpful, made you feel welcomed. Food was expensive. Very helpful conceirge.....helped book a twilight tour of DC for us and everything went off very well. Would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Recently renovated rooms
  • Disliked — Expense of food
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank redsoxnation-55
Marietta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2007

I was traveling through Reagan Int'l Airport on my way to Boston. However, Logan Airport had other plans. My flight to Boston was cancelled at around 12:30am. The airline was not responsible for the cancellation (the plane was there, ready to go), so no vouchers were given. Instead, we were given a number to call for a discounted hotel rate in the area. Initial calls led to the 'discounted rate' of $189 at a Hilton. No thanks.
A later call revealed the discount at this Hyatt for $89. Even though I planned to be there less than 5 hours, total, I bit as I was exhausted and needed a bed. The 800 number gives a confirmation code, and guarantees the hotel room and rate.

I get to the hotel, which appears very nice. However, the desk attendent tells me I have to wait 15 minutes for something (for what, exactly, I am not sure, as he was not clear as to why I had to wait). So, I wait, and finally check in w/ the special rates, no hastles, no questions asked.

The room is nice. A bit small w/ two full beds. Spacious though (if that makes sense), and actually very nice (most likely a recent renovation). The entire room, including the bathroom, is spotless. The bed was quite comfortable too, with an ample amount of soft pillows for use (not just decorative ones). I wasn't there long, but the room was great.

The major problem came when I checked out in the morning (around 8am) and was hit with a $50 early checkout fee. I have honestly never heard of such a thing before, and why I was being charged was extremely perplexing. Moreover, even though I had to show my airline itinerary for the following day's flight (verification of the special rate), I was not told of any type of fee that would be assessed upon the early checkout. I was in too much of a rush to argue it at the time, but Hyatt will definitely hear from me about this outrageous charge.

In short, this is a nice hotel, albeit most likely expensive on a day-to-day basis. But, its seems from other reviews as well that they are big fans of arbitrary fees and charges. So, consider this your warning sign if you happen to be hit with any of them.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled solo