“Nice place....but Never go when there are large conferences taking over the building”

Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan National Airport
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2010

The Hyatt Crystal City would have been a really nice place to stay except......I had to experience the horrible nightmare of a large conference that took over the whole hotel!! The wait for the elevator was absolutely ridiculous. Every elevator was packed with people from the conference all day long!!!!! We had to wait anywhere from 15-20 minutes or longer for an elevator and there were six elevators!!! We had to let five or more elevators pass us by b/c we could not squeeze on the elevator.And when we did get on an elevator it stopped on almost every floor to let someone out. The parents let the kids do whatever they wanted to do and run all over the hotel destroying and littering every floor. The pool area was disgusting because of the kids that were rowdy, loud, rude, pushing little kids and acting crazy. There was no supervision for these children.
And forget about checkout day waiting for over 30 mins for an elevator and everyone from my party could not get on the elevator. It took us three trips to get down to the lobby. It took us 45 mins in total to get to the lobby. The elevator stopped on every floor and the people from the conference were pushing and shoving trying to get on the packed elevators. One guy piled his suitcases on top of my suitcases while pushing me to the back and I just barely fit on the elevator??!!!! The door couldnt even close b/c of the man.Talk about rude!!! It was a horrible nightmare. Its a wonder the elevators didnt break down. I am warning everyone MAKE SURE YOU CALL TO FIND OUT IF THERE WILL BE LARGE CONFERENCES AT YOUR HOTEL BECAUSE THEY WILL MAKE THE HOTEL EXPERIENCE A LIVING NIGHTMARE! The Hyatt was unable to accomodate the large groups and it was more than one large group. I dont think I will stay at this hotel again. I am traumatized!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NJ
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We arrived on a Sunday and there was garbage everywhere in the lobby. There were not enough couches to sit in the reception, unless you sat at the bar and ordered something. The room was spacious, but the bathroom was very small. There was a lot of dust behind the night table and in some corners in the room. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2010

. This hotel is terrible! You can hear clearly what is going on the hallway. People talking, knocking the door, service people using the speakphone.

We are having a conf in the hotel. It takes at least 5 minutes to wait for the elevator! Even though there are six elevators, it is always crowded. The conference rooms are hiding everywhere. There are even no cellohone signals in some rooms.

I always have bad experience of hyatt. Terrible hotel but ridiculous price.

• Stayed July 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed here during a large conference. I found my room and the facilities to be top notch. As a vegetarian, I found the dining options really limited, but I managed to make due; what I did try was delicious, if a little pricey. My complaint about this facility is that it's far from tons of places in DC including Union Station and Dupont Circle (I name these places because my cab rides to these sites were expensive).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Stayed 5 nights while attending a conference. Our 18th floor room was clean, comfortable, spacious, well appointed and had a fairly nice view of nothing in particular but at least were weren't staring at other buildings. The bath was modern and clean but the lighting was poor. The buffet was forgetable and cheaper than ordering from the menu but next time I'll go with the menu. This hotel is a few blocks from the nearest Metro station and Washington DC proper is only a few stops away. Very convenient.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
texas
Reviewed July 19, 2010

The front desk staff could give training seminars to other hotels' staff on how to "do it right". So gracious, very accommodating. My room was very spacious and comfortable. The elevator is slow to arrive. Charging for Internet access is standard in big cities, but free whenever I stay in a smaller town. Why? I declined to pay the fee. The bed was quite nice.
The hotel is undergoing renovation. The only thing that set this property apart from the usual was the kindness and professionalism of every employee I encountered.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2010

The good: easy and efficient check-in, clean rooms, good group rate for reunion, and regular shuttles to the Metro station. The bad: thin walls (I actually heard my neighbor roll up their blinds), exhorbitant parking fee (I parked my car elsewhere), no free wireless internet, and unfriendly policy regarding mileage points. I did not have my American Airlines account number and was told I could call it in later to get points. When I called a day after my stay, I was told they can only give me points during my stay but not after. However, had I been in their Silver Club or whatever they call their own hotel loyalty club, they would processed my mileage points after the fact. Stupid policy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Travelers also viewed these Arlington hotels
The Westin Crystal City
Crystal Gateway Marriott
#15 of 51 in Arlington
Hampton Inn & Suites Reagan National Airport
Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport

Been to Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan National Airport? Share your experiences!