“Great room, visually pleasing, buffet needs work”

Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan National Airport
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 28, 2008

I booked this to avoid having to get up and drive my sister to Regan airport (flight at 6am). I booked the day before on hotwire and got the room with all taxes and fees for under $100. We parked at the greenbelt Metro and road the metro to the Crystal city stop. We had great timing as we were walking out of the metro, the hyatt bus was right there picking other guests up.

Checkin was simple, quick and we were up to our room within minutes.

The rooms are modern with clean lines and good use of space. There is a powerstrip at the desk that can accomidate the numerous plug ins required now day. The bathroom was small and ok for 1-2 but 3-4 sharing this room would have been a problem.

Now for the downside: The food onsite is very expensive. Ok so you pay for convinence. Hit the breakfast buffet sat am. The omlet bar is great, fruit and oatmeal superb. The french toast was made hours prior and the edges were hard, the bread dry. It takes minutes to make french toast, why not incorporate it with the omlet bar and make it to order? For the price of the buffet, I expected quality throughout. Service was impecable.

Other downside: Internet is a t-mobile hotspot for $9.99 per day. In this day and age where I can get free internet at places like Panera, lets catch up Hyatt.

Offsite dining options: The map provided by the hotel shows the walking distance eateries and there was a good variety and price range.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,091)

Reviewed June 10, 2008

Stayed at the hotel for 3 days last week. We got a excellent rate with AAA including breakfast for $79 PER NITE. I still cant believe we got that rate. Breakfast was at the Cinnibar restaurant and they had buffet breakfast with the omlette station. Breakfast was great and service was excellent. The complimentary shuttle to the Metro station was EXCELLENT and reliable. They shuttle runs ever 15 minutes and they were always ontime. The only issue I had was the valet parking. There is no option to park your own car at the hotel only valet which costs $24 per day. The first night we were there we realized we left some stuff in the car so the valet had to retrieve the car for us (we couldnt just go to the car & get our bags). Needless to say they lost the ticket for the car and it took about 10 minutes for them to find my car.. They finally did & assured me the problem wouldn't happen again. On the day we checked out the same thing happened they couldnt find the car. There was also some confusion on how much we owed for the parking fees. Since we never took the car out of the lot the 3 days we were there the valet was confused as what our fee was, and we already checked out of the hotel so they couldnt put it on our room charge. They only charged us for one nite of parking. The hotel room was large, comfortable and modern. The bathroom was very small, I was very surprised at the bathroom size since the room was so large. Two people can't fit in the bathroom at the same time. The Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definately stay there if in the area again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2008

I stayed here for a conference. The room was beautiful and comfortable, although the bathroom was a little small. The service was top rate--everyone was friendly from the front desk to the maids to the dining workers. The food at the conference was good and the hotel itself pleasant.

It was expensive and I was VERY disappointed that I had to pay 80 cents per minute to use the Business Center computers and those with laptops had to pay $10 a day for internet service. I would think with the number of business travelers to the Hyatt, and the cost of the room itself, that the computer service would be free. There are many less expensive hotels that do offer internet service for free.

Since I was traveling for business, I did not have to pay for the room; if I was to visit again on my own, I would never stay somewhere this expensive.

Reviewed May 23, 2008

We stayed at the Crystal City Hyatt during May 2008. It's in a huge masterplanned new urbanist-style city with lots of newer (less than 40 years old) skyscrapers in Arlington, called Crystal City. Its bordered by two other places like this, Pentagon City and National Gateway (which is being built). It's made up of mostly wide avenues and highways (this was common for that time) but its being revamped to include more sidewalks and street-level storefronts.

Because of all the roads, the hotel is very hard to get to. It's also right next to Regan National and I think that shuttles from the hotel go there. I was surprised to not hear any airplanes from the room. There is valet parking and the lobby was pretty nice. There is a coffee stand and a restaurant in it (the lobby is several stories), a gift shop, and some convention-like space (there were a few conventions going on while i was there)

There were 6 elevators but that wasnt nearly enough as the wait took forever. 3 of them were glass and they went up the side of the building. The hotel was probably renovated in the past few years because the decor was newer but the architecture was reminiscent of the early 80's.

The room was very nice and modern and had a contemporary feel. The pictures on this site (under the "hotel photos" link) are older and the rooms have been renovated since then (as seen in the "traveler photos" link). Most of the rooms were the same, but the corner rooms were larger. Some rooms had a couch but others just had two lounge chairs instead. I also heard that some bathrooms had stand-up showers and others were shower-tub combos.

The bathroom was very nice and had granite countertops. The door was stainless steel and frosted glass but didnt lock, so people could walk in on you while in the bathroom. The front door's handle seemed broken and was very hard to open. The hall closet sliding door (which looks the same as the bathroom door) would not close all the way.

The beds were comfortable and there were at least six pillows on each bed. There was a plasma TV but it didnt have many channels. You could get internet access but you need a wifi connection or a tmobile hotspot account. You could use the internet on the tv, too but that was slow and weird. Internet connection was pretty expaneive, too.

The room service was very good and the chef sometimes made extra complimentary meals for you. Except the food was very overpriced. Concierge downstairs was very helpful and the staff seemed nice. Down the hall was a vending machine which had a few sodas, ice tea, and water (very overpriced, $2 per drink!) and an ice machine (which was very loud!). The walls between the rooms were really thin and you could hear every word spoken next door and in the hallway. The hallway was also littered with old food and napkins.

There are shuttles which take you to the Metro stations (which take you into dc) and a few restaurants and stores a few blocks away. There was no indoor pool which is dumb, only a small outdoor one. I believe there is a spa on the top floor, as well as an overpriced restaurant.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel, but it overpriced and in an ugly location.

1  Thank kyrbyboy
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I stayed at this hotel in May 2008 for a training seminar. It was a nice hotel. One "fancy" restaurant for dinner only, a bar area, a breakfast/lunch restaurant and a coffee shop and room service available. I used all the options for meals since I did not want to walk around Arlington by myself. I did expect to pay more than normal for this convenience.
Gym was nice - treadmills, ellipticals, free weights.

Overall I would consider this a higher end hotel. Everything was expensive to me but I think Arlington is just a mroe expensive area. For example, I had dinner one night and it was $60 for a glass of wine, a salad and crab cakes as the entree. I ordered Spinach dip and tortilla chips at the bar - $14...a chicken ceasar salad - $15...

there is a free shuttle from Reagan National to the hotel which was very convenient for me.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I booked a business stay at this Hyatt after reviewing dozens of hotels in the Cyrstal City area. I can not tell you how dissappointing this booking turned out to be! The room was confirmed and payment in full requested the morning of that evening's check-in. A late check-in and 2 beds were noted on the confirmation. At arrival that evening (10:30pm) the hotel had sold our room even though it had been paid and confirmed. No rooms were available anywhere in the hotel. No explanation or remorse on the part of the hotel. After 45 minutes of waiting for a taxi that never arrived to shuttle us to the other hotel, we were forced to pay our own cab fair to the new location. The Hyatt we were sent to was 3 miles away in Arlington and under renovation! They never told us that the only room available was a king ( 2 beds were paid for) and smelled of urine and new paint. My business associate and I were so exhausted by this time (1:30am) that we fell into the king bed together to try to catch a few hours of sleep. In the morning, we attempted to call the front desk to request a cab as instructed when we checked in. Guess what, the telephones were not working in the room! Hyatt should be very ashamed of their lack of customer service! There can be no excuse for selling a confirmed and paid for room. If the customer doesn't show up, the room is already paid in full. I travel on business several days a week and have never experienced such poor treatment by any hotel. In my opinion, this was an attempt to fill their other hotel due to its renovations and that is extremely deceitful!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2008

I am at the Hyatt right now for a conference. This is night three of three. The hotel itself is very nice, clean, and modern. My room is really small, dark, and very loud. I actually think mine is an acception and I should have requested a new room. In defense of the hotel, I suspect I am in the room no one wants and the other rooms are probably fine. I could take a shower and brush my teeth at the same time even though they are on opposite sides of the bathroom since it is so small. I believe most rooms have been renovated to have a large glass shower and no bath, but mine has a tiny tub (only about a foot high and 4 feet long) with shower in it. The room is somewhat triangular in shape as it seems that part of it is cut off to accomodate the elevator next door. Others at the conference have mentioned that they have couches and tables in their rooms, I have none of those either. There is also an Ice machine across the hall. Very noisy between people coming off the elevator and talking and the ice machine going. The room number is 421, though I suspect all rooms that end in 21 will probably have similar issues based on the location.

I have had room service the past two nights and everything has been incredibly good, but also incredibly expensive. I had a fish entree and a piece of chocolate cake (no drink), and it was $60. Another night I just ordered a crabcake entree (also no drink) and it was $50. Service was quick and again, I can't stress how good the food was, work won't be reimbursing me for the entire amount, but I can honestly say it was worth it.

The food and service at the conference has been great too. Very organized. Starbucks is served at breakfast and breaks.

I think if I didn't get the undesirable room, I probably would have been very happy, and again, I should have switched rooms.

On a different note, parking at the hotel is $23/day (or around there), but there is a garage right behind the hotel that only charges $10/day and there is a stairwell that takes you up to the Hyatt. Internet service is $9.95/day and was easy to connect and has been reliable.

1  Thank idontemail