2,273 results
All reviewscrystal citycinnabar restaurantambassador suitelobby barroom serviceconference hotelshuttle servicelegal seafoodfree shuttlemetro stationbreakfast buffetking roomvery nice hotelwater pressurechecking innational airportthe room was nice
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I called this hotel when I was literally fuming inside. A prolonged argument with TSA officials over travel documents of my college-going daughter had just made us miss the flight from Ronald Regan Airport to Oakland California. Fortunately, Delta didn't charge us anything more and just booked us in the same flight 24 hours later - nothing was available any earlier. The question then was where to stay the night.

I didn't want to go much further away from the Airport. I had already returned my rental car and wasn't in a mood to rent another one for a day. I used my iPhone to look for nearby hotels that pick up guests from DCA. This particular Hyatt, possibly a 5 to 7 minutes walk from the Airport, did offer pick up. Since I am a Hyatt passport member, it was easy to succumb to the lure of another night's stay in Hyatt. And this really nice hotel soothed my mood.

The first thing that catches your attention after coming in is the huge sprawling lounge. We spent quite a bit of time there the next day, since our flight was late in the afternoon and we had to check out in time. Hotel offers delayed checkouts but it was completely booked that day and the option wasn't available. There is plenty of couches and comfortable chairs in the lounge and the ambience is really nice.

Next we went out for dinner. Crystal city is full of excellent restaurants. A brief 5 minutes walk from the hotel will take you to an area where almost all types of cuisines are abundantly available. While coming back from the dinner, the walk will take you through some dimly lit streets but we felt safe with lots of people walking.

As far as the room and the bed and the cleanliness etc - it is a Hyatt and enough said. It conforms to the Hyatt quality that I have always enjoyed and have come to expect.

In this trip I was staying in Virginia before and driving to DC daily. I had a terrible, terrible time finding parking in Washington DC, particularly in the neighborhood of busy tourist attractions such as the Smithsonians or the National Mall. I think the travellers will be much better off staying here and then taking the metro to National Mall; they will save a lot of time and avoid a lot of stress.

Room Tip: All rooms are quite good. But since they have a H-U-G-E lounge teeming with people, the lower floors turn out to be a bit noisy and higher floors are better. You get excellent view of Washington DC from the higher floors.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Overall, you will be satisfied with this hotel. The rooms were a good size and clean. I had booked an executive king, but got put in a double double so that I could be far from the dinging of the elevators and noise of the vending machine. Overall, the room was mostly clean, comfortable and in working order. The digitial thermostat a plus. You could also make the fan stay on all night for white noise. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, some not so much. Problems I encountered, which have a low likelihood you will. The closet door would not close - but it was in a separate part of the room, so did not have to look at luggage etc. There was a vent in the bathroom, but I could not find a switch for a fan. The bathroom filled with steam and was kinda moldy/damp smelling as a result. And I take SHORT showers. That said, the water pressure was great and the water drained well - not standing in puddle of soapy water - which was great. One of the days I was there, the maid forgot to leave new towels after removing the used ones that I had "hung up to use again." When called, housekeeping was apologetic and rectified this within an hour. However, the front desk phone rang about 50 times (I do not exaggerate) before someone answered. The response I got was, "we're busy." Which I thought was a poor excuse, before I got transferred to housekeeping. Better to answer and be put on hold. The courtesy shuttles are a great service. Some of the drivers were fabulous. The foreign ones were rude and dismissive. But the worst was the concierge. I arrive in the evening and am often skeptical about the safety of walking around a strange city at night. I asked the concierge for a suggestion of someplace to eat that was walkable, that wasn't too expensive and had a relaxed atmosphere. There are alot of restaurants in the area that fit that bill as I discovered the next day. He suggested McDonalds and Subway because they were closest. Say what?! I did not say junk food nor was I dressed or could be mistaken for a teenager. Better option would have been to suggest taking the metro shuttle and there are about 2 dozen restaurants within 3 or so blocks of the metro. There are other decent hotels in the area closer to the restaurants and metro. Those might also be an option for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Positives: Good price for a location close to DC, Room was very nice and air control kept room very comfortable. Staff was OVERLY nice. I was greeted "Hello" everywhere. Pool was nice for a summer trip to the city.

Negatives: Parking was absurdly expensive and valet seemed to be extremely busy. Had to wait about 15 minutes or more each time I wanted to get my car. Charge for WIFI? Unheard of these days

Overall, I would stay again If the price was right but might look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I'll start w/ the only negatives. Fee for Wifi-(this is just silly now a days) and really expensive parking.
Now all the positives and neutrals.
We arrived and it was fairly easy to find, right off a main road.
The staff was very friendly and easy to talk with.
It was hubby's b-day, so I asked for a free upgrade and received it.
We were thrilled w/ the ambassador suite. It was much nicer than many hotel rooms that I spent way more money for. It was clean and the beds were comfy. It is a rarity for my hubby and me to get a good night sleep in hotels. We both slept peacfully and well.
The exercise area was adequate. It was not crowded and I had no problems using what I wanted to use. I would of liked to see a big ball and matts for an ab workout. I was in a rush, so it could of been I just didn't see them. One thing it had that I have not seen else where, was the use of a headset w/ new ear covers for each person to use them. I thought that was great!
The swimming pool and hot tub was just like any other pool and hot tub.
I brought cereal and milk from home, because we are always in a rush in the mornings and do not have time to pick up breakfast. I forgot spoons. I called room service and they brought me some very quickly with a very pleasent " please call if you need anything else."
One last negative, we only used valet parking the first night, but they billed us for all three. This was easily taken care of and the two days were taken off our bill. Self parking is still $20.00 a night compared to the $27.00 for valet.
Over all we were very pleased w/ our stay and would recomend this hotel and would stay here again. I'm picky, so that's saying a lot. :)

Room Tip: I've learned in this last year that it does not hurt to ask for a free up grade, it's a little scary for me, but it has paid off for the most part.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My stay at the Hyatt was a result of a conference I attended. The hotel shuttle bus was easy to find at the airport and it is a short journey. Check in was professional and efficient. There were no rooms available away from the elevator and ice machines, so as an allergy sufferer I opted to upgrade to their hypo allergenic Respire room complete with air purifier for an additional $25 per night charge. My room faced the front of the hotel and was perfectly fine in terms of size and cleanliness. It was quiet, the bed was comfortable and most importantly for this stay, the air conditioning worked perfectly. Wifi was included in my room rate and on the two occasions I had issue with it I was directed to their 'help desk' and these were resolved quickly. I registered my lap top for wifi use which meant that I could not use my iphone or ipad without an additional fee.

If there had not been a huge conference, other meetings and more than one family reunion I would give the hotel an extra 1/2 star. As it was, the elevators, although plentiful were always slow to arrive or full and one seemed to never work. My room did not have a mini bar - so no way to buy or store cold water which was a serious downside in the heat. I had a drink at the bar one evening and it was expensive by any standards. I did not eat at the hotel, preferring the cafe directly across the street which was inexpensive and offered friendly service. I walked around the corner to Starbucks in the morning for an iced coffee and to 7-11 for water and snacks.

This is not a bad hotel, but unless I was attending another conference I would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business