“Here is the scoop!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Here is the scoop!”
Reviewed January 3, 2008

My family and I stayed 1 night at this hotel during the Christmas 07 holidays (12-21) with the intent to get close to DC but not actually stay in the city. That was accomplished, however, not without drama. Bottom line... this hotel is nice, clean, quite and comfortable and the price was great. The rooms are very modern including a flat screen t.v., frosted closet and bathroom doors (very nice), and Egyptian style window coverings. However, the overall room is small and the bathroom is small too. It is the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in. You wouldn't be cramped but again, it is small, not medium size - small. There in-house restaurant is above average prices and there aren't restaurants just out the door. The issue that we had was location. This hotel is close to DC (10 min) but getting back and forth from the hotel to DC was a major problem. It's not a hotel issue, it was our issue, but just to let you know, it is "very" tricky getting around. The hotel is in the midst of business buildings and other hotels but yet tucked away. It "does not" have a stand-out front street presence at all. If you plan to rent a car like we did and see the city - get ready to get lost.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank 1Family1Love

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed December 29, 2007

I booked this hotel through Delta Vacations. The rate for my Dec 26 - 29 stay was $108 a night. I had never been to the DC area before and I sure got a good deal there. Service was first class and the concierge was great helping me plan my DC events.

I got to the hotel around 10 am on the 26th and got a good room with two double beds on the 16th floor. The bed I slept in was very comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was great and I did not have to wait for the water to turn hot like I have experienced in other hotels.

The shuttle service to the Metro and the airport was great. I did not mind the distance to the Metro since I had point to point service. If you had to walk at night in that neighborhood you may have to be careful so I really appreciated the shuttle. All you had to do was to stay by the Metro and the shuttle would pick you up at that spot.

• Liked — The hotel was not too close to the city
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank operman1
Orange County, CA
Reviewed December 21, 2007

First class all the way. Great service from Bellboys, Front Desk, Breakfast Servers, Concierge, and Shuttle drivers. Clean rooms, comfy beds. $84 winter rate was a great deal and much cheaper than staying in the city. It is at the end of hotel row, so it is a 15 minute walk to restaurants and shuttle, but that would be my only gripe. Fantastic American breakfast buffet. Expensive at $17, but you can book as a winter deal and get breakfast included if you prepay. All the food was expensive here so we chose to dine outside other than breakfast. Bellboys gave a full spiel about the hotel, the emergency exits, the restuarants, etc. Housekeeping cleaned our room as we ate since we were travelling with a small child. I read some negative reviews of this place and honestly I am disgusted with the level of service in the US. 90% of the time, the service sucks no matter where you go. Well, not here. It was very nice to be treated as a guest of the hotel. The shuttle runs every 20 min to the airport and every 15 min to the Metro stop so it is convenient if you don't like to walk. No bathtubs in our room though, only an oversized shower. Wireless internet in each room for $9.95 a day. Also, lots of good restaurants nearby, especially CHIPOTLE!! IF you haven't tried Chipotle, you are missing out., 1 lb Burritos, custom made with all homemade salsas and beans. The meats are naturally raised and the service is friendly. Not what you would expect from a fast casual place. Just wanted to give a shout out to Chipotle, the best burritos in the world!!

• Liked — Value and service
  • Disliked — expensive food
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 13, 2007

I got a great deal on hotwire for the Hyatt. The staff was so friendly and the room was fantastic. It was so clean, modern, and the bed was so comfortable. It was a very large room. Too bad I only was there for one night. I wish I could have stayed there during my entire visit to DC. The staff called shortly after check in to make sure everything was to my liking. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I will def. stay here again!

Stayed November 2007
Durham, NC
Reviewed November 16, 2007

I spent 3 nights at the Hyatt attending an on-site conference. There were some definite positives: the front desk was cheerful and (sometimes) helpful, and the standard room was spacious and clean, with exceptionally comfortable beds. The rooms were made up quickly every morning. Problems: food availability, quality, and service were VERY uneven. Breakfasts and lunches in the informal dining room were pretty good, but the service was sometimes unbelievably slow. One evening we sprang for dinner at their rooftop restaurant - I don't recommend this. The prices are astronomical and the food mediocre - and I'm not a foodie. Go up for a drink, though, so you can enjoy the spectacular view. One evening we had light food in the lobby bar - greasy, not very hot, and again, incedibly slow. There are restaurants about 3 blocks from the hotel, but its location is not the most convenient for getting out and wandering around.

Coffee was another problem - we didn't discover until the last night that in order to have a coffee pot in our room, we had to ask for it at the front desk. I don't really have a problem with that except that it would have been nice if someone had mentioned it at check-in. There's a Starbucks in the lobby, but it closes in the late afternoon, and the ordinary restaurant closes after lunch.

We paid for an in-room movie our last night there - nice flat-screen tv, but the movie simply cut off 2/3 of the way through. The cheerful instructions from the front desk about what to do resulted in our being charged a second time for the movie and still not being able to finish it (they did remove the charge from the bill).

The fact that my leather jacker was stolen from the phone bank iin the lobby didn't help the whole experience. This was my fault, as I absent-mindedly left it draped over a chair by one of the phones, and when I remembered it 20 minutes later, it was gone. Checked Lost and Found twice to no avail. Dumb thing to have done and not the hotel's fault, but sad.

• Liked — Clean room, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Food service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank spidersilk
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 13, 2007

Stayed for two nights during Veteran's Day weekend. Check-in was a nightmare on Saturday,i.e. long line leading from front desk back about 50 feet. However, found a automated check-in/check-out machine.....smooth and easy. Room was very nice with flat screen TV, couch, comfortable bed, etc.....but no coffee maker in the room, booooo! You have to pay for everything at this hotel.....coffee, water, etc.....Great AAA rate for the weekend. A computer in the lobby specifically for airline check ins. Good move. Nice LobbiBar......decent food, and as always beer is overpriced. A bit far to walk to the Metro but their shuttle was on time and on the mark. Overall it was a good stay. Comfortable room, good friendly service and the Metro and Airport shuttle was very convenient.

• Stayed November 2007
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Got a tremendous deal on Priceline for this room. Hotel has gone through major renovation and improvements since my last visit. Rooms are recently modernized and look very good. Nice flat screen, big TV. Super soft beds. Reasonably convenient to get to downtown DC. Only major gripe: I got stuck with a room that had an adjoining door to another room (i.e. for families.) Unfortunately, this door allowed a ton of noise to come through. The first night a couple had a big fight at 2 a.m.; the next night another guy watched baseball until 1230 am and the started watching TV again at 530 am. All the noise came right through the door. It was my fault not to ask to be moved. I suspect I ended up with this room in part because I was on a great rate from Priceline. The noise detracted from an otherwise nice stay.

Stayed October 2007