“Good hotel but rude staff”

Hyatt Centric Arlington
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in Aug 2013. Ours was a family visit with kids. The biggest plus about this hotel is its location next to the Metro. The rooms were clean and bed comfortable.

However, what negated the good was the staff.

Strike 1: I was having a hard time finding the hotel and kept circling the block a couple times. Finally when I called them to ask for directions, the lady on the phone put me on interminable hold. When I called back again, all she did was give me the address, advising me to use my GPS to get there! My phone doubles up as GPS; it had almost run out of juice and it was past midnight. The fact that I let her know I had screaming kids in the car and could use her assistance didn't help. Frustrated beyond belief for such treatment by someone at a Hyatt, I finally managed to find the hotel before my phone died.

Strike 2: On getting to the hotel, the same lady was equally rude checking us in. No smile, no information on the restaurant on premises. There was no attempt to make us feel welcomed.

Strike 3: At checkout, there was a line that made us wait 15+ minutes. I understand being understaffed during the night, but at noon? The checkout kiosk wouldn't work, so I had to wait while the sole clerk checked people in and out. A guest ahead of me had some problem with their invoice and the clerk was busy straightening it out, and the guest kept popping in and out of the line.

Bottom-line: The room itself was good, but it's a shame the management has employed people who just do not care. I would not go back here nor would I recommend this hotel.

1  Thank findsujay
Selim S, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide this feedback. I regret the inconvenience you encountered upon your arrival to the property. Our associates should be able to assist you with directions and offer a speedy check-in no matter what time your arrival is to our hotel The overnight situation you encountered was not typical of our hotel and service. While our desk associates were also helping many guests during your departure time, they should have been able to address your needs in quick fashion. Please contact my office directly so I can properly address your concerns when your time permits and thank you once again for sharing this valuable feedback.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Room is comfortable. Location of this property is far off from tourist attractions but as it's located next to a subway stop that links to the attractions, it still makes the hotel accessible to the tourist stretch/areas. Parking is not free and you have to pay $20 excl taxes to park daily at the hotel.

Not much eating out options available, though it has Ruby Tuesday and MacDonald's across the road from it. For better food, the area behind White House offers more options.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you Violet for sharing this feedback. Thank you also for choosing The Hyatt Arlington. I hope your overall experience will bring you back for future stays. Please feel free to contact my office directly, should your travels bring you back, so I can assist you with area information prior to your arrival. Thank you again for your time in providing this insight.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights, the location is great, next to many stores and the subway station. First was allocated to a twin bed room while I called in advance asking specifically for a king size bed. The bell boy was literally staying next to the taxi as we arrived and looked at us carrying our luggage and don't even ask if we want help. One of the nights I went to the bar asking for a glass and they let me wait for 20 min after which they sent me to the restaurant. Very simple gym, no swimming pool and expensive parking. Overall ok stay, I won't return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Igal B

Thank you for taking time to share your impressions of our hotel. While I regret reading about your experience, I do take these comments seriously as lessons for us to continue to improve. I would wlecome the opportunity to discuss the specifics with you if your time allows. Please contact my office directly so I can gather more details of your experience. Thank you again for sharing your feedback

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We travel a lot and we know a good family hotel when we see one. We spent two nights at this hotel and discovered right away that they have no hotel even when the description we had showed it as a feature of the hotel. During the check in, they managed to squeeze me for $20 per night for my car? was not listed on their brochure, the ladies at the front desk need some retraining on the Hospitality, they are often rude and don't want to be bothered.
Will not recommend this hotel for family trips, the hotel is located near all the big attractions but lacks the basic amenities and has rude staff.

The bed sheets are stiff and made of cheap material, very uncomfortable during the summer as they do not absorb sweat. I can honestly say that I regret visiting this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room elsewhere.
1  Thank Hanson W
Selim S, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you Hanson for taking time to share your impressions of our hotel and service. I regret your dissatisfaction with our lack of pool facilities and service. Although we do not advertise any amenities that we are unable to provide, our pricing for parking & Internet is very competitive with and in some cases less than other hotels in this Downtown area. Thank you again for taking the time to share your opinion with me and I hope we may have a future opportunity to reverse your negative impression of our hotel and service.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hyatt Arlington while attending a family wedding. The hotel is in a great location - one block from the Rosslyn metro station which makes it easy to get around without a vehicle. From the moment we arrived, service was great. They held our luggage as we arrived directly from the airport too early for their regular check-in time. Everyone was so nice and they made a special effort to get a room ready within 45 minutes (just long enough for us to get a little lunch).

A special mention to Robert at the front desk who made check-in so pleasant. Robert was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. He made sure we got into our room quickly after a long trip. Robert made every effort to make us happy.

Because the hotel is in the middle of several tall buildings, views are limited; however, we enjoyed our nice city view. The room was large and clean with a modern decor. The bathroom was large and clean. The hotel does not have a swimming pool. Housekeeping was always available for extra towels, etc. The room actually has an EMPTY fridge!

The only downside was the price for breakfast - too expensive for our wallet. Apparently some people get it for free - not sure how!

Overall, it was a very nice four night stay. We would definitely stay at the Hyatt again.

1  Thank mrswinemaker

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with me. I am glad you enjoyed your brief stay and I hope to have you back again as our guest in the future. Thank you for taking time to share this feedback and for choosing The Hyatt Arlington.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We traveled to the Washington area for a family vacation and stayed at the Hyatt for 3 nights. We were checked in at the front desk by Robert who was very pleasant and helpful. He provided lots of local maps and guides and even tried to get us a room with a bit of a view.
Our room was a bit small although it was clean and modern. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant because we spent a lot of touring in DC however there were several restaurants in the area as well as a Safeway grocery store.
Arlington National Cemetary and the Marine Memorial are a short walk and shouldn't be missed.
Having the Metro outside the hotel was also great since we were able to easily get to the major attractions like the White House, Smithsonian and National Mall.
Overall, we had a good experience and would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jacdean

Thank you Jacdean for your time in sharing this feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope your experience will bring you back for future visits. Thank you for choosing The Hyatt Arlington.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Nice room and prime location across the street from Rosslyn metro, first stop on the line in VA, so a quick trip into DC. We usually don't bother with hotel restaurants, but had a great lunch in their restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Selim S, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback and for choosing The Hyatt Arlington. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope your experience will bring you back again for many more visits. Thank you again for your time