“Good value for DC area”

Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City
Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 12, 2007

The price was good for the DC area. The hotel was clean and the rooms attractive, but small. The bed was a bit hard for my taste, but the plentiful pillows were great. Delicious cookies at the desk in the afternoon. The food in the diner was good. The shuttle to the Crystal City and Pentagon City Metro was very helpful and generally ran under 10 minutes. We stayed for 5 days (business followed by a tourist weekend). I would stay there again.

4  Thank GLCmom

Reviewed February 14, 2007

After a bad stay at the Holiday Inn in Old Town Alexandria, I tried the Holiday Inn National Airport. What a good decision! This is a great hotel!

Newly renovated guest rooms with big desk and comfortable chair, welcoming staff, REALLY great 1950's style diner (try the French Onion Soup and an Apple Dumpling), free business center and Metro, restaurants and 2 shopping malls within a mile.

Free shuttle that acutally runs on time, with nice staff who have good manners and really care about their guests.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Bachall
Reviewed January 2, 2007

So much better than I expected based on previous reports from this site! Checked in 12/20 at 2PM, earlier than expected but our room was ready. Since there were 4 of us, the front desk sent up extra toiletries without our asking. Room clean, and as another poster mentioned, the choice of pillows was a nice touch.
Shopped around Crystal City awhile and later hit the hotel lounge. Typical hotel lounge but bartender was nice, initiated conversation regarding local attractions, directions needed, etc.
We reserved this hotel because of the fact we could leave our car here and stay again after a flight out of National. The early morning (5AM) shuttle to National Airport was great, on time and fast (less than 7 minutes by my watch). Same when we were picked up on the 28th at 10PM, driver very courteous as well.

I'm bewildered by previous reports of an unattentive, discourteous staff, either the management reads these reports and read them the riot act or someone has an ax to grind. If you've read any of my other trip reports, you'll know I'm no Pollyannna, but this place really seemed to get a raw deal from previous posters. Everyone, from the front desk to various staff members we ran across in halls or elevators went out of their way to smile and speak to us. We stayed at both the beginning and end of our Christmas holiday, the 20th and the 28th, both times on the 10th floor, both rooms were very clean.

The Internet access in the lobby was most welcome, we were able to check in at work and the kids even played around for a few minutes while we waited for a cab to go to dinner.

The area seemed safe enough, we walked to the CVS Pharmacy about a block away late the first night to get some allergy meds for my daughter, lots of traffic though.

All in all, I was most satisfied with our stay, both nights. It's no 5 star resort, it's a Holiday Inn near the airport, just as they promise. But a lot nicer than you'd expect.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank bean
Reviewed December 29, 2006

We bid for two rooms on Priceline and were sent to the Holiday Inn National in Crystal City. Then we read the reviews. Hmmm.

We found our rooms clean, quiet, no bugs, drips, smells, or mold. Our double room was really much larger than a normal double- our family of 5 could have fit nicely with a cot. There is a full five feet between beds. The bathrooms were small, but there was a handy counter outside of the bath that held the coffee station. Did we mention the Godiva Coffee?

Initially, we were given one king and one double, but after the first night the front desk allowed us to move into the vacant adjoining double, which gave us lots of room. The king room was really nice but it was smaller.

The shuttle was fast and always right there when we needed it.

Just had to add our own experience to the mix. We don't think you would regret staying here-

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Susan Z
Reviewed December 17, 2006

I have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel. I was placed here by "Hotwire" and after reading the reviews on this site, I was a bit apprehensive. I had stayed at this location a number of years ago when it was operating under the Howard Johnson Hotel branding, and I remember not being impressed with that visit.
Every member of the staff with whom I came into contact was professional, very friendly and courteous....and if you stay in hotels in this area often, you will be aware that these qualities are not common at a number of other hotels. The assigned room was attractively decorated and the chairs and bed were very comfortable....even with a choice of pillow firmness. Everything in the bedroom and the bath "worked." Most importantly.....the bedroom and bath were CLEAN! The "free" computer access in the lobby was an added plus!
All in all, this was an excellent hotel experience.....my compliments to the management!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank TravelerFL
Reviewed October 18, 2006

The reason I give this property a score above neutral is because the staff tries hard. Everyone was friendly and more than helpful. The property itself has some cosmetic problems, but nothing that would seriously impact a few nights stay.
The free shuttle from the airport showed up in just a few minutes and the driver was friendly and courteous. The exterior is not unusual for a city hotel – nothing special, though. The small lobby is well-kept and clean. The front desk staff was also friendly and helpful. The room was small but clean and adequately equipped. There were noticeable repairs in the bathroom and the typical loud A/C. I got by at night by just switching it off (which was not a problem this time of year) in the DC area. There was water dripping from one of the hallway windows. The fitness center was better stocked than average although one of the treadmills didn’t work. The hotel has a bar and an oldies themed diner restaurant downstairs. Here again, everyone was friendly and attentive. I really only used the restaurant for breakfast. They had a buffet, but I usually eat light for breakfast. I can tell you the oatmeal was watery and they were out of skim milk (for cereal) the last day of my stay.
I can’t say the Holiday Inn was worth the price even with the special rate that I got, but it was comparably priced with the rest the hotels in the area. The one advantage is you may find you don’t need to rent a car (depending on where you are going) because the free shuttle also runs to the Metro (subway) which is just a 15 minute walk away anyways.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Sloshgator
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I found bed bugs in my room, asked for and recieved a different room, and then found bed bugs there too! I ended up going to a different hotel, this place is infested.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business