“Excellent Hotel Experience”

GreenLeadersGold level
Naples
“Excellent Hotel Experience”
Reviewed December 17, 2006

I have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel. I was placed here by "Hotwire" and after reading the reviews on this site, I was a bit apprehensive. I had stayed at this location a number of years ago when it was operating under the Howard Johnson Hotel branding, and I remember not being impressed with that visit.
Every member of the staff with whom I came into contact was professional, very friendly and courteous....and if you stay in hotels in this area often, you will be aware that these qualities are not common at a number of other hotels. The assigned room was attractively decorated and the chairs and bed were very comfortable....even with a choice of pillow firmness. Everything in the bedroom and the bath "worked." Most importantly.....the bedroom and bath were CLEAN! The "free" computer access in the lobby was an added plus!
All in all, this was an excellent hotel experience.....my compliments to the management!

• Liked — room and bath comfort and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the Crystal City Pub for good food/beverages at very reasonable prices...2 blocks from hotel
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank TravelerFL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Orlando, FL
Reviewed October 18, 2006

The reason I give this property a score above neutral is because the staff tries hard. Everyone was friendly and more than helpful. The property itself has some cosmetic problems, but nothing that would seriously impact a few nights stay.
The free shuttle from the airport showed up in just a few minutes and the driver was friendly and courteous. The exterior is not unusual for a city hotel – nothing special, though. The small lobby is well-kept and clean. The front desk staff was also friendly and helpful. The room was small but clean and adequately equipped. There were noticeable repairs in the bathroom and the typical loud A/C. I got by at night by just switching it off (which was not a problem this time of year) in the DC area. There was water dripping from one of the hallway windows. The fitness center was better stocked than average although one of the treadmills didn’t work. The hotel has a bar and an oldies themed diner restaurant downstairs. Here again, everyone was friendly and attentive. I really only used the restaurant for breakfast. They had a buffet, but I usually eat light for breakfast. I can tell you the oatmeal was watery and they were out of skim milk (for cereal) the last day of my stay.
I can’t say the Holiday Inn was worth the price even with the special rate that I got, but it was comparably priced with the rest the hotels in the area. The one advantage is you may find you don’t need to rent a car (depending on where you are going) because the free shuttle also runs to the Metro (subway) which is just a 15 minute walk away anyways.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff.
  • Disliked — Quality doesn't justify the price (which is unfortanately on pare for the area).
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't rent a car if you can get to where you are going by walking or the subway system.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Sloshgator
Louisville, KY
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I found bed bugs in my room, asked for and recieved a different room, and then found bed bugs there too! I ended up going to a different hotel, this place is infested.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bed bug
  • Tips/Secrets — check your matress for insects
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank brentg
jacksonville
Reviewed July 17, 2006

i had to say the stay at crystal city holliday inn was not worth the price nor the stay the rooms was very small and and beds were not clean. the bathrooms had mold in the showers and door did not lock to the bathroom. one problem that i had was the front desk they were very rude and seem as if they didnt want to be bothered. though the poor service the shuttles were excellent and a lady name juanita who worked at the front desk was extremely nice and helpful. i personally would not stay at the holliday inn, crystal city and would not recomend the stay for the price. if you stay there it may be better than mine but consider it a risk your money. i definitely would not recomend this hotel for a family vacation or honeymoon.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank jcoby
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 1, 2006

We stayed here from May 25-30 2006. The day crew staff is very friendly and go above and beyond to be helpful. We had a room on the 10th floor with a king bed. The room was very clean, although it could have been bigger. The maid on our floor kept our room very clean and stocked with everything we needed. The hotel is in a nice location. A free shuttle is availabe to and from the metro and picked us up within minutes of calling. The service in the diner is slow. The fire alarm sounded one night due to someone pulling it. THe alarm can not be heard from the room. It is a faint alarm. It sounded again the next night due to a small fire someone started in their room. Overall my experience at this hotel was very nice and I will stay again on my next visit.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2006

I stayed at this hotel this weekend May 21, 2006. I loved it. It was quiet. The rooms were clean. The bed was wonderful, fluffy, big pillows, nice comforter. Nice furnishing also.
There was a 24 hour McDonald's right next door. I loved it. It was close to the Metro. I'm from Chicago and I was very impressed with everything. The front desk was modernized and so were the rooms too. I was there for business and pleasure. Oh, I was really impressed with the price.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2006

I was "force" to stay at this location due to a conference and I had no choice in my selection of hotels. I almost alway stay at a Marriott property.

Although this location was no my choice, it ended up being a very nice stay. Upon check-in (I arrived at about 1:00 PM...check-in is at 4:00 PM), the person working the desk was able to get me and another co-worker in to a room with no problem. They were very friendly.

Upon getting to my room, I was pleasantly surprised how nice it was. Small, but nice.

High speed internet was very good and was easy to get connected.

I will most likely try to pick a Marriott property next time, but if needed, I would select this location.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business