“Great Place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Great Place”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Rooms were clean and serviced daily. No check in problems all excellent. You can buy 'old town trolley tour' tickets from the little shop downstairs which is not only a great way to get around Washington DC but there is a FREE shuttle that picks you up daily from the front of the hotel. The road that the hotel is on always has taxis driving along, but the front desk easily organises you one. Mcdonalds is next door. There is Chillis in one direction and IHOP in the other. No more than a 1.5mile walk at the most. We will be staying here again when we visit Washington DC for Christmas 2014. Only complaint is they need much better pillows.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The receptionists were really friendly and service oiented. Service in the bar was also good. But the rooms are dated and my heater kept cranking up very loudly every 20 minutes. Got the technician in but problem was not fixed. Toilet flush was also broken on the first night. Coffee mugs in diner was old with coffee stains and lipstick stains. The hotel is near many restaurants and right next to a 24-hr macdonalds outlet. Do try the kebab joint that is 5 minutes walk in the direction of the metro. As I was attending a conference at Hyatt regency, location wise, it was ideal at an affordable price. I will not stay here though if I were on vacation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
HINationalAirport, General Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Toffeebee,

There no excuses I can give you regarding the level of service you experienced during your stay. Your comments will be shared and addressed with the management team that's responsible for the area you mentioned in your survey. My apologies on behalf of the team at Holiday Inn National for not delivering the level of service you come to expect when staying an IHG brand hotel.

Yours in hospitality,

Hotel Manager
Lanexa, Virginia
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Above average Holiday Inn but what made this a great stay was the staff. Everywhere I went, from the front desk to the bar for dinner to breakfast in the "diner" in the morning service was prompt and everyone truly seemed to make me feel like I was a customer, not a bother. I can't always afford to stay in this area but they can count me as a repeat customer when rates permit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I had a great experience at this hotel with a group. The beds were beyond comfy, that's what I remember most! We all got rooms high up, and so had no noise issues what so ever. It was about a half mile from the metro, and we had a few good food places walking distance. The staff were friendly and the showers had good pressure with warm water. All in all, a winner for the price!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was with a large group (Nov. 2013) and the sign in was very easy. Friendly and courteous staff. The King room was clean and well maintained though a bit small for a king room. It was on the 10th floor with a beautiful view of a residential area and colorful fall trees. Our group was given the bar area two mornings for breakfast and conversation-both very good. The hotel is in a convenient location--within walking distance of nice restaurants and shops. Had a great time.

Room Tip: Skip room 1029 if you're handicapped. A sign outside the door said to push the button and wait 5...
Green Features: Very good on environmentally friendly practices. Had info on saving water and laundry.
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My husband and I traveled to the DC area over the Veterans' Day weekend to gather with a large group for a reunion. Our group was provided space to gather, and our rooms were located for the most part on the same floor. In spite of being extremely busy, the hotel staff were consistently helpful and accommodating the entire weekend. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The hotel provided free shuttle service, not only to and from the airport, but also to the metro stop and for one of us even to church on Sunday morning! We would definitely stay here again on a return to the Washington area.

Northwest Ohio
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was part of a very large group of college students on a trip to D.C. I was very pleased with the hotel. The rooms were clean, The beds were super comfy, and I couldn't hear any noise. I slept like a baby. The McDonalds really is right next door. I would have liked to have had a free continental breakfast served, but as the diner was on site, this was fine. The food was good. The only problem with the pub is that I don't believe that they were prepared for groups, and it took an hour to get my food, but when I got it, the portions were generous, the food piping hot, and it was good. I did hear the manager ask the head of the group how many people might be expected for breakfast the next morning so that they would be prepared.

My only complaint is that since my roommate was blind and has a guide dog, there is no place on the property for walking your dog. It does say that pets are not welcome, so the guide dog is a exception, but I was very uncomfortable with having to go the the back of the hotel at night to walk the dog. There was a strip of grass in the median of the road, so this served its purpose, but it didn't feel very safe, even though I was assured this was a safe neighborhood.

Other than that, I was pleased with my stay and they were well prepared to check in all 44 people in the group.

I'd also like to mention the beautiful view from the hall next to the elevator. The trees were changed over to spectacular fall colors, and the picture window made it possible to view them i all of their glory.