“Teeny, tiny......” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Delanco, NJ
“Teeny, tiny......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2006

My husband and I just returned from an overnight visit to the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Crystal City. We booked a non-smoking, KING sized bed room for one night. We pulled up to the front of the hotel to register and were told there was no valet and we should have self-parked prior to coming in to register. There wasn't a sign out front of the hotel or on the web instructing a guest of this procedure. We asked for a room on a high floor with a nice view and were given a room on the 9th floor, better known as the "quiet floor". We were never given instructions that we needed to place our room key into a slot in the elevator to get to our floor. Only after several unsuccessful attempts and pushing the 9th floor button again and agin and then watching another quest get in the elevator did we find out about this procedure. Upon entering the room, we noticed how small and tight the room was. The view was into the windows of an office building directly across the street. Since the window drapes were hanging over the air conditioning unit, the air conditioning was non-existing once the drapes were pulled closed. There were 4 small and I mean teeny-tiny pillows (like sofa throw pillows) on the bed. I referred to them as chicklets. When your head was on the center of the pillow, the sides of the tiny pillow wrapped around your ears. We called housekeeping to request two additional pillows and they sent up two limp but lumpy pillows. The bathroom was so tiny you could only fit one person in at a time. If you were on the toilet, no one could open the door to get to the sink. If you are the least bit clostrophobic, do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank addiebNJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

Our family of four just stayed for two nights over the Memorial Day weekend. We have stayed at many different hotels in Crystal City, but this one was our least favorite. The place is dated and tired looking, even the outside of the building. The beds were small, 2 double beds, with really small pillows! The carpeting, the walls, the decor are all in desperate need of updating. The bathroom was small as well and our sink had a large brownish crack along the middle of it. There is no ventilation in the bathroom so after a shower, the entire room is steamed up. We would not come back to this hotel when we visit the city again. I would suggest the Marriott Courtyard, it's much nicer!

• Stayed May 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ladychow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2006

The hotel was really nice. The room was very clean and the bed, well I just wanted to stay in it. Soooo comfortable. The bathrooms are on the small side. They were not designed for women. But, it was clean. Every one that worked there was very nice and helpful. The people at the front desk gave me useful information about the area and went out of their way to offer assistance in any way they could. Every morning they would call me a cab to go to my meetings. The only rude person there was on the last morning I went to the front desk and there was no one there. I waited patiently and a gentleman finally came out from a side room. He asked may I help you and I asked if he could call me a cab. He told me as he pointed "there is a yellow phone over ther that goes directly to a cab company. Use that." Then he disappeared. Now I will say he was a white male with an American accent. It is pretty bad that out of all the people I dealt with during my stay that he would be the rude one. I am a white female so I do not believe this was a racial issue. He was just very rude.
As for the restaurant on sight. The breakfast's were great. The bar and grill on sight left much to be desried as far as the steak special for $19.99. I would not advise it. It was thin and full of gristle and 95% fat. You could hardly cut through it with a steak knife. The brocolli tasted as if it had just came from the refrigerator. It was very cold inside the stalks. The waitress came back to check on our party and saw that we had only been able to eat about 5% of the steaks. She apologized and asked if we would like something else. We told her no thank you and that we were done. The waitress returned and told us that we would not recieve a bill and was very courteous.
I can not say enough about the hotel staff (excluding the white gentleman at the front desk).
I would definately recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank mmagee2
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2006

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for two nights last week and could not have been happier with my stay. The hotel is a bit hard to find, tucked into the high rise apartment and office buildings in Crystal City, but once inside everything was great. My room was virtually soundproof. I was one door down from the elevators and directly across from the ice machine, but I heard nothing. The room was normal hotel sized, with a very comfortable bed with all white linens, including a nice down comforter. The bathroom amenities were nothing special, but I did get a cute little package with earplugs, an eye mask, lavendar linen spray, and a sleep sounds CD. The cable tv selections were some of the best I've seen in hotels - they even had the Food Network and HGTV!

The hot buffet breakfast was edible, but nothing special.

I'm a hotel snob and have never stayed at a Crowne Plaza before. I don't know if I'll stay in other Crowne Plazas, but I would return to this one.

Stayed February 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2006

Our room on the 11th floor was great. Bed was very comfy. Nicely accented, etc. However, internet service (for $9.95/day) was terrible. They tell you that you get 256K down/128K up, and it's barely that fast. If you need useful Internet connectivity, don't stay at this hotel.

Stayed January 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Central PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2005

I had one of the best nights sleep at this sumptious hotel. The bed was sooooo comfortable. I have a temperpedic bed at home and am not pleased, but slept like a baby in this hotels bed. The duvet was beautiful and the room was so clean. I loved all the little ammenities, the laundry basket for the dirty towels, the bag on the bed with things to help you sleep better, lavender spray for the linens, ear plugs, the complimentary drink at the bar, I just couldn't have asked for more, the desk clerks were very helpful and very friendly. I hope to get the chance to stay here again soon.

• Stayed September 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank tpatti
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2005

I stayed in this hotel for one night during a business trip in January 2005. I normally stay at either the Hilton Crystal City or Doubletree but, because of a few annoying problems at both of those properties, I wanted to try a new hotel in the area. Although my reservation was for a king non-smoking room, the desk clerk tried to give me a room with two double beds -- good thing I asked before going up to the room. The room was clean with reasonably tasteful decor (nothing remarkable). There were signs of wear and tear indicating that the hotel will need to be renovated in the near future. The breakfast buffet was average -- nothing spectacular. Bottom line is that there are better places to stay in the Crystal City/Pentagon City area but this hotel will do if others are not available.

• Stayed January 2004, traveled on business