I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for four nights in June - a weekend of sightseeing, and a couple of days' business in the DC area. It was ok, though there were some quirks.
I booked on Hotwire (without knowing the hotel name), about a month in advance, and got a very good price. I see other reviewers here have done the same - I wonder how many rooms the hotel is shifting that way?!
The hotel is in something of a construction zone, though it looks as if the construction nearest the hotel is nearing an end. That's good, because it did create some noise, somewhat disruptive even on the fifth floor. Approaching the hotel from DC, the roads were really rough, and it felt as if you were going off the map: the hotel itself is fairly well-placed though. It is a fairly easy walk to the Crystal City shops and Metro - though if it's raining, you either can get very wet, or go through an exceedingly long tunnel (during business hours). The place really doesn't seem to have been designed with the pedestrian in mind, at all (but may be better after the construction work is complete).
The room was fine - all that you would expect from a hotel of this standard, though there was no in-room safe, which is a shame. The main nuisance was that on running the shower, the fire alarm was triggered. Evacuating - via the stairs! - only be told in the lobby that there was no general fire alarm; it was just that room. (but no one had come to check that no one was dead from smoke inhalation). The front desk sent the maintenance guy, who said that the solution was to leave the bathroom door open when showering. He looked kind-of resigned to the problem.
The in-room wifi was free, which is excellent (and should be normal). I didn't try the hotel's catering, but the Starbucks on the mezzanine level did all the things you'd expect. There are a number of cafes in the centre opposite the hotel, and lots of cafes and restaurants near the Crystal City shops. Car parking cost $21 per day, which seemed rather steep.
The hotel's gym is a disappointment - 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical cross-trainers, and a bike machine, plus a leg extension machine, bench press, and some dumbells. The hotel web site mentions an off-site gym - but this is not included in the room rate. It is fairly nearby, but I didn't check out the casual membership rates. The hotel has a pool, but this seems like a bit of an afterthought.
Would I stay here again? It would just depend on price, I think. I've stayed elsewhere in Crystal City, and preferred that; but there's nothing particularly wrong with the Crowne Plaza.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crowne Plaza National Airport Hotel in Arlington, Virginia is a first class, full service hotel located in the heart of Crystal City. Only moments away from the Nation s Capitol and the Pentagon, we are less than one mile from Reagan National Airport. Located within minutes of Washington, DC agencies and attractions, the Crowne Plaza has been newly upgraded offering the Sleep Advantage Program for your additional comfort. With you in mind, each guest room offers plush duvet covers with 7 pillows, upgraded linen and mattress toppers, and a 43" flat-panel television. The Crowne Plaza National Airport Hotel is close to companies and agencies such as US Airways, IBM, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, National Guard , and many more. We specialize in government travelers offering per diem rates. Stay connected with our free Wireless High Speed Internet Access in our public areas and 24 Hour business center. Maintain your exercise regimen in our 24 Hour Fitness Center. The Crystal City Metro Station is one block away with Historic Old Town Alexandria only two miles. We boast five meeting rooms plus an array of business class amenities. We take pride in providing exemplary customer service and will take care of your every need. Come to the Crowne Plaza National Airport Hotel, The Place To Meet! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport Hotel Arlington
- Crowne Plaza Arlington
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Arlington