WINNER WONDERLAND

Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
Powell, Wyoming
“Wonderful Hotel even with High Schoolers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel is one of the best in the DC Area! Went here for Close UP and this is the second time i stayed at this hotel. Has some of the comfiest beds in the worlds and they have upgraded since the last time i have stayed here! I love the service and the area. It is very close to the Crystal City metro stop. The metro takes you everywhere you want to go. The hotel is very quiet even though there was a 150 high schoolers here. Next time i go to DC I will gladly stay at this hotel. Thanks for a wonderful stay! Oh did I mention that this hotel has some good shampoo and conditioner too?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Our vacation was a comedy of errors. Even nature refused to cooperate and share some cherry blossoms!
I'll skip over the specifics and get right to the important part... The staff at this hotel is outstanding.
Kathrin (assistant manager?) solved every issue with professionalism and compassion. Mario (manager?) was professional and personable. The restaurant manager was pleasant and helpful.
The housekeeping staff members were superior and obviously know how to clean!
Stay here for: convenience to metro, cleanliness of rooms, Starbucks, Tuesday night $5 burgers in The Potomac restaurant!

There is construction in the area but it didn't bother us.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank TheRoswells
New Brunswick, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had booked the hotel for two nights early spring (just before the cherry blossom). We drove there from New Jersey on Friday night. We had made reservations via Hotels.com. We had specifically made reservations for King bed with sofa bed. Since we were 5 people and in one room there were going to be 3 people, this seemed to be the best choice.

And this was the only reason I had booked this room / this hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel, one of the rooms simply wouldn't open. It took three rounds downstairs before we got a security person to come up and open the room for us.

That was not the problem (although we spent 1 hour in the lobby and corridor at 11:00 pm).

Both rooms did not have sofa beds.

We went downstairs for the fourth time. The front desk person said, he has no such rooms available and asked me if I was interested in two doubles. I told him that I am willing to pay more if I could get that room.

He gave me one such sofa bed room finally (which means he had one and he didn't want to give it to me).

Otherwise our stay was usual. Nothing extravagant or bad about the hotel.

Parking coat $21 per night.

Good:
Excellent breakfast ($ 14 per person). There is Starbucks inside the hotel. Great location in crystal city, close to metro (4 min walk), restaurant and shops. Easy metro commute to national mall and Smithsonian's.

Great supply of tea, coffee, hot chocolate in the room. Spacious rooms. Good views. Clean. The room service staff was good, attentive and responsive.
Ethernet cable in the room.

Other problems:

1) Small bathroom for the king bed only room. Slightly spacious for the king bed with sofa.
2) TV had no guide, menu etc. I mean common on, this is 2013. Why won't they have a remote with guide button.
3) Wifi speed was so slow that I rather used 4G on my phone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ashtik
CPNationalAirport, Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear ashtik,

We are very disappointed to hear we failed you with the room reservation. I know how disappointed you were and in the future, we would ask you to call us directly to book your room. We can assure you we will make sure your room is secured in advance.

We certainly hope you will stay with us next time. You can call me directly to make your booking at 703-416-1600. I look forward to your call.

Mario Soriano
Assistant General Manager
Marlboro, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on a Saturday and found one of just three street parking spots. Otherwise plan on using their garage. Didn't ask the price.
My biggest complaint is the the bathroom was tiny! The sink was on the right and had just small area to put things and one skinny shelf. The commode was in the center with about a foot on either side. And then the shower was on the left. Call me a bathroom snob but I think fancier hotels should have larger bathrooms!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Joanne L
Virginia Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

CP is a very comfortable hotel in Crystal City--actually at the far end of Crystal City. Easily accessable to the Metro and underground shopping mall. Chances are you're not going to stay at CP unless you're doing business at the Pentagon, or a government or defense contractor in the Crystal City complex. The pros are clean, friendly, location, convenience to the metro, and free WiFi. Good security--one has to put their key card into a slot in the elevator before they can go to the room floors. Starbucks on the mezzanine level. I did stay at the Marriott nearby a year ago and they had a free breakfast, which the CP did not. The fitness center is crowded.

Room Tip: Our room faced the north and there is construction in the adjacent office building but it was not no...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear CHXBeachers,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the quality and service we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Pro:
Very close to Crystal City Metro
Next to Crystal City shops
Great staff at front desk, fast check-in
Staff at breakfast in the restaurant goes out of their way to serve. Very helpful and anxious to please
Great, courteous housekeeping staff.
Timely shuttle to metro or DCA
Comfortable bed, and nice layout of rooms

Con:
Super slow internet in the evening. Other IHG hotels have upgraded to faster internet.
How do I says this.... toilet tank has been replaced with a pressurized system that doesn't work well. Defeats the purpose of using less water if you have to flush multiple times. Bleh.
As others have said, construction next door and nearby is a distraction, but not terrible.

I'll stay there again.

Room Tip: higher rooms are less prone to construction and traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DeanfromSeattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is close to DCA, Metro subway and the Pentagon. The rooms are spacious and it has a nice Starbucks inside as well. Being next door to a mall means you can get anything you want easily and there is a restaurant in the hotel if you don't want to go out. Common areas are fine though not as nice as other Crowne Plaza's.

But what really sets this apart is the price - without fail the best value when I compare options. I have been coming to DC over a decade and this is the hotel Is where I stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business