“Convenant, and low cost”

Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston
Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Albany New York
“Convenant, and low cost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2007

I was there with my family and friends for the Cherry Blossom festival in Washington DC, March 30 to April 4. For a 3 star hotel it exceeded my expectations. The entrance was clean and our party of six was greeted with a smile. The staff was diverse, as it should be in a major city, and there were zero communication problems. Whatever we asked for we got quickly. We needed a microwave and it was bought up and installed within 15 minutes.

We had decided to drive into the city so we asked the desk for maps. They gave us maps but advised against driving into the city. They suggested the subway and it was great advice. The subway is only three blocks down from the hotel. It’s a 10 minute ride to the DC mall. We had a fantastic time sight seeing and not worrying about parking the car.

The major benefits to the hotel for me are: clean room, responsive staff, no charge for parking, no charge for having four guest in one room, (also they booked us in the adjoining room of our friends and we did not ask for it.), the subway is close, the attractions are close. Take the subway, and get directions from the front desk before you leave the hotel.

If you are looking for a hotel with a view. this is not the place. However, if you are looking for a safe, clean and affordable place to stay while you’re off sightseeing, then it fits the bill.

• Liked — Clean , affordable and responsive staff.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank JazzAlabnyNewYork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Morganton, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2006

When I first arrived at this hotel I was a little worried... there was some constuction going on and the main sign for the hotel was gone. But once I walked into the lobby, my worries went away. The lobby was very clean and well lit. I arrived just after 12:00 but the front desk happily checked me in right away. Everything in the room was clean and well maintained. I took advantage of the free shuttle twice. The first time was at night, the second time was in the morning. I did have problems with the morning shuttle. I was told by the front desk that it had left to take another guest somewhere and would be available after that. It took 20 minutes to return which confused me because the shuttle service is only suppose to run within a mile of the hotel. 20 minutes for a potential 2 miles? That was my only problem with the stay.

Ballston metro station is a short walk away, as is the Ballston Mall which has several restaurants. Very convenient if you don't want to worry about driving!

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — Tiny parking lot.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you know you want the shuttle for a specific time, I suggest calling the front desk and trying to reserve a time.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank RhiaB
Elgin, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

We stayed over the 4th of July. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We rode the complimentary shuttle to restaurants and Metro over the 4 days we were there. Over the course of the time we were there, there was only one occasion that the van was unavailable. This was because the employee was out sick. Someone came in later in the day. The staff was even nice enough to let us leave our car in their lot after we had checked out while we went on a White House tour. The hotel is located in a safe area. We enjoyed the local restaurants, especially a pastry shop named Tivoli at the Ballston Metro station. We will definitely stay here again. For the money, it's a great deal.

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank jimmyc66
Portsmouth, virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2006

You can walk to the metro and to the Balston Mall. But, the elevator is very slow. The shuttle is complimentary and they tell you that you may not get picked up at all since the bell hop is also the shuttle driver. I called twice for the shuttle and was told that I would need to wait for 30 minutes and then indefinitely, once because the driver was on a dinner break, and then he was hoping luggage. The hotel is adjacent to some construction site which is very ugly. The sidewalk is non existent due to the construction. The staff for the most part, speaks English as a second language so you will need to constantly repeat request and questions. This was very frustrating. I had difficulty getting incoming phone calls due to that problem. I would recommend this hotel due to the convience of being close to the metro, but there is another hotel that is much closer.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank rr23703
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2006

While this is not Ritz Carlton, it was are really good hotel. It is very clean without the over-cleaned chemical smell some hotels have. The room has great features, is well-planned, comfortable, quiet - which is very important. The staff is very accommodating. And the room service was excellent! I have stayed at some dice-y Holiday Inns occassionally and so was a little hesitant about this but would stay here again if my work brings me back.

Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2005

Don't depend on the shuttle for transportation to the NSF or metro. Allow time for the one working elevator to get to you.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2005

The construction next door and in the street makes it difficult to get to the Holiday Inn, either by car or on foot. What's more, you can't expect to sleep late once the heavy construction machinery gears up. Even more annoying, both elevators kept breaking at the same time, which meant that guests had to walk up and down the stairs to their rooms. The front desk clerk was willing to give me a reduced rate at checkout to make up for the inconvenience.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business